Author Topic: emma mortimer  (Read 4387 times)

Offline moggie57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
emma mortimer
« on: Tuesday 20 July 10 22:07 BST (UK) »
last known in 1926/ returning  to  canada .she was a housekeeper to a me edwards in broadview ,sask. after that i have nothing. emma was born in croydon(bandon hill) surrey in 1888 , she went to canada 3 times. the last time in 1926 , all i have been told is that she married and her husband would not give her the fare home for her mother's funeral in 1937..(her mother was buried in a paupers grave because of this) since been found by my brother and i...i'm a bit doubt ful that she got married ,but i cannot find her under her maiden name, i would love for someone to look for her in the canadian archives.in return i often go to the record centre at kew(england) if you want me to look up anything in person..i don't even have a picture of emma only know she would have been at least 40 when she went as a domestic(she lied about her age and made her self youngeri would love to know where she is buried or??? my grandad used to write to her right up till the 1950's )she would have been at least 75 by then.someone did tell me an emma mortimer died swan river canada? any clues where that is. the address my grandad had was two rivers ,manitoba,.no  other information.so any help. will be very grateful...

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: emma mortimer
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 00:41 BST (UK) »
Details of sailings
Emma Marian Mortimer, 39, single, b. Bandon Hill, had spent 1920-1927 at Cotham near Dubuc Saskatchewan, profession housekeeper, going to cousin A. Edwards Broadview Sask., British contact was mother, Mrs. S. Carpenter 371 Brighton Rd S. Croydon.
Sailed from Southampton to Quebec City on Empress of Scotland arriving 23 June 1928.

Emma Mortimer sailed from Liverpool to Quebec City on the Metagama arrivng July 5, 1920.  No age given, single, never been in Canada before, going to Montmartre Saskatchewan, occupation - domestic, part of Miss ?? party  to Mr. Browing.
There is a Form 30A associated with this sailing.
Emma Marian Mortimer, b. Wallington, Church of England, going to Canada to settle, passage paid by cousin - going to cousin A.C. Browning Mortmartre Saskatchewan.  Mother, Mrs. Carpenter 371 Brighton Rd S. Croydon.  Height 5' 1", fresh complexion, brown hair and eyes.

Sailed as Emma M. Mortimer going to the Brighton Rd address from Quebec to Liverpool on the Montcalm arriving June 11, 1927.  Gave her age as 38, occupation as housekeeper.

If you google these locations in Saskatchewan you will find them east and SE of Regina.  There is an Arthur Clift Browning who is buried in the Regina cemetery.  Will post those links later.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 02:39 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately you are searching in more modern times and Canada has strict privacy laws which prevent accessing information that you are looking for.  Each province is responsible for their own birth, marriage and death records and therefore there are different rules applied across the country.
http://www.isc.ca/VitalStatistics/Genealogy/vsgs_srch.aspx  -  Saskatchewan Vital Statistics
http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php  -  Manitoba Vital Statistics

Saskatchewan Genealogy Database  http://saskgenealogy.com/databases/indexes.aspx
Saskatchewan Cemeteries  http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cansacem/

When Emma went to Canada she went to family.  I think  A.C. Browning was the son of her mother's sister and A. Edwards was married to the sister of A.C. Browning.

On the 1891 British census for Bisley, Chalford Hill, Gloucestershire is Joseph Browning, 43, accountant b. Stroud and his wife Caroline, 43, b. Stroud.  Children are Arthur C., 15, b. Bisley (he's an apprentice umbrella manufacturer), Sydney J. 14, Ellen 10, and Emily 6.

There is a marriage Dec 1874 Stroud 6a 676 between Caroline Nicholls and Joseph Browning. 
Arthur Clift Browning is born Dec 1875 Stroud 6a 324.

Jun 1886 Stroud 6a 603 there is a marriage between Sarah Nicholls and George Hamilton Mortimer and then a marriage Sept 1918 Croydon 2a 930 for Sarah Mortimer and William Carpenter. (Emma's mother's name was Carpenter on the shipping records).

Ellen Browning, 23, domestic and Sydney Browning, 27, joiner, from Gloucester travelled on the Ionian 4 June 1904 from Liverpool to Montreal with a destination of Broadview NWT (modern day Saskatchewan)
J. Browning, 57, accountant and family Caroline, 57, A.C., 29, Emily 20, Teacher all from gloucester travelled on the Virginian from Liverpool to Quebec City arriving 19 May 1905.  Going to Wolseley area.

cont'd

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 02:45 BST (UK) »
1911 Canadian census for Qu-Appelle Sask.  Caroline Browning, own income with son
Arthur C. Browning b. 1875 Eng. Bookkeeper.

1916 census for Broadview Saskatchewan
Caroline Browning, b. 1839 Eng. is living with Albert Edwards, 48 b. Eng. imm 1888 and his wife
Lily Ellen, 36, b. Eng. and children Donald Albert 8, b. Sask and Christopher Wm, newborn, b. Sask.

There is a birth for Donald Albert Edwards Feb 11, 1908 Broadview Sask. with parents
Albert William Edwards and Helen Browning.  Marriage records for Sask. are not online as yet.

Doesn't answer the question of what happened to Emma but gives you an idea of why her choice of Saskatchewan.

www.automatedgenealogy.com  1911 census online free at this site.  I never looked to find Joseph Browning.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 04:06 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,343798.msg2223842.html#msg2223842
Looks like your Emma was found previous to this posting and that you are looking for a Emma Marion Reid. 

It's frustrating to try and find information when pieces of the puzzle are not given.  Even if you weren't sure that the information was valid it is important to add it.   A possible marriage and last name of Reid was important - information about the "miserly husband" was not.

Emma was registered in Croyden Sep 1888 as Emma Marion Mortimer.

Debbie

Offline moggie57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 July 10 09:04 BST (UK) »
oh my goodness.. you are amazing .!!! i think this might be the final breakthru. i have most of the info you gave me ,but i had no idea who browning was.. i couldn't think of any cousin of that name. i never thought of sarah's family. only knew them as nicholls family of stroud gloucestershire.i never knew if emma got married..all that generation have gone leaving no info what so ever. i only knew that emma last returned to canda in 1928 to a mr edwards in broadview and that my grandad wrote to her till he died in 1957..then nothing...so i am realy very very grateful and a step nearer to finding out what happened to her. and what she looked like, was told she resembled a late aunt of mine.you actually have me in tears today, i'm just so happy that someone has helped me find our emma...i didn't know emma last name was REID i had never heard it said..can i ask where you got the name REID? would her marriage certificate be availible to buy..i did look for a marriage certificate in the uk but nothing, so she must have married after 1928 to a mr reid..presumably in montmatre ,sask...( i was only with my relative yesterday an aunty and we were discussing emma..so i am so grateful for all the info you have given me..are you able to get a marriage certificate for me in the future (as yet marriages are not yet online from canada) i will pay any fees that occur..i have 80 usa dollars left from a trip. would that cover it(.my late mother.has have relatives in sask too.) anyway back to emma could you get a marriage certificate when the records become availible for me..i can't believe we are actually getting closer to finding emma.many many thanks , love wendy   xxx

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 July 10 18:26 BST (UK) »
From the July 9 1965 Brandon Sun newspaper

Funeral service was held recently for Emma Marion Reid, 76.  Internment in the family plot at Wawanesa.  Mrs. Reid was born at Brandon Hill, Beddington, Surrey, England June 25, 1888.  She came to Canada in 1921 to the Broadview and Debuc district In Saskatchewan and later to Manitoba to the Wawanesa district.  She married James Reid in 1934 and moved to Glenboro in 1936.  Later they moved to Cypress River where they farmed for several years returning here (must mean Glenboro) in 1956.  Her husband predeceased her in 1959.  Mrs. Reid was a member of the Deborah Rebekah Lodge at Debuc and a member of the Anglican Church.  Surviving are 1 stepson, John Reid of Winipeg and 3 stepdaughters, Mrs. Percy Berry(Alma) Mrs. Dick Jones (Edith) of Cypress River and Mrs. Siggi Storm (Mary) of Glenboro.  14 grandchildren and several nieces and nephews in England.

If you want a copy of the newspaper page PM me and include your email address and I will forward a copy to you.  You won't be able to get a marriage certificate for Emma as that is still protected under privacy laws (in Manitoba marriages after 1930 not available).

Debbie

Offline moggie57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 July 10 20:49 BST (UK) »
oh thankyou thankyou.....!!!!! maybe one day i will get there..now all i need is a photo of her...lol....my email address is (*)  do i owe you any fees? i can't believe this ,this is amazing ,all my aunts will be so pleased that she has been found.... ;D. this a day in history for celebration......
From the July 9 1965 Brandon Sun newspaper

Funeral service was held recently for Emma Marion Reid, 76. Internment in the family plot at Wawanesa. Mrs. Reid was born at Brandon Hill, Beddington, Surrey, England June 25, 1888. She came to Canada in 1921 to the Broadview and Debuc district In Saskatchewan and later to Manitoba to the Wawanesa district. She married James Reid in 1934 and moved to Glenboro in 1936. Later they moved to Cypress River where they farmed for several years returning here (must mean Glenboro) in 1956. Her husband predeceased her in 1959. Mrs. Reid was a member of the Deborah Rebekah Lodge at Debuc and a member of the Anglican Church. Surviving are 1 stepson, John Reid of Winipeg and 3 stepdaughters, Mrs. Percy Berry(Alma) Mrs. Dick Jones (Edith) of Cypress River and Mrs. Siggi Storm (Mary) of Glenboro. 14 grandchildren and several nieces and nephews in England.

If you want a copy of the newspaper page PM me and include your email address and I will forward a copy to you. You won't be able to get a marriage certificate for Emma as that is still protected under privacy laws (in Manitoba marriages after 1930 not available).

Debbie

was BANDON HILL not brandon hill..MANY MANY THANKS TO EVERYONE..

* Moderator Comment - Email Address removed in accordance with Rootschat policy.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 July 10 05:23 BST (UK) »
I've noted your email address and will send you the newspaper copy.  The moderators will probably delete your email from this posting if you don't modify it yourself (prevents spamming etc. - that's why I suggested you send your email address by PM or personal message)

Nothing is owing - we all like to help solve puzzles and find missing people and links to families.  Sometimes we have success and other times people just seem to disappear until new information databases become available.

The newspaper article did give her place of birth as Brandon not Bandon - probably using a spelling that was more familiar to them.

Debbie