Author Topic: 2nd Donagheady Presbyterian Church Baptisms 1838-? - LAUGHLIN - look up please  (Read 5037 times)

Offline dhalaughlin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I've hit a brick wall that seems only able to be resolved through a look up volunteer.

With thanks and appreciation I know of the 2nd Donagheady Presbyterian Marriage register 1838-1926 transcribed by Faye Logue of Queensland, Australia. I was able to extract the marriage of my 2nd great grandfather Robert LAUGHLIN to Hannah MATHER on 10 May 1838. Note that we believe the name "MATHER" may be a mis-transcription of the name "MATHEWS". Without seeing the original we cannot know.

We also know that there is a 2nd Donagheady Presbyterian register of baptisms at PRONI, also dating from 1838. It is on Ref No: MIC/1P/ 459, B: 1838-??; M: 1838-??

My great grandfather Robert John LAUGHLIN is the son of the above Robert LAUGHLIN. From second hand sources who have not seen the register of baptisms directly I have been told that Robert John LAUGHLIN is listed as having been baptised on 22 December, 1842. However, this is not consistent with any other information we have concerning our Robert John. According to everything we know our Robert John should have been born abt 1848. We are concerned that 1842 is either a mis-transcription (perhaps reading an 8 as a 2 ) or the 1842 Robert John died in infancy and was later replaced by the birth of my great grandfather, the next born son, in 1848.

I have been to Ireland in years past and have written to the minister of 2nd Donagheady several years ago with no reply. As age and my responsibilities advance I wonder if I will ever make it back to Ireland again? I fear I will have no opportunity to visit PRONI to do the investigation myself as I would.

So I am hoping someone has access to PRONI records who could take a look at the 2nd Donagheady records to resolve these discrepancies and inform me all the facts on any Robert LAUGHLIN's or LAUGHLIN's in general contained in 2nd Donagheady records.

I would be extraordinarily obliged for any acts of kindness provided and I am willing to compensate for access, time and expenses as necessary.
Scotland = BLUE, GOW,WYLIE, SCOTT
County Tyrone & County Londonderry, N. Ireland = LAUGHLIN/LOUGHLIN, ORR, CRAWFORD, MC GREGOR, MEATHERS/METHER(S)/MATHER(S)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Donagheady Presbyterian Church Baptisms 1838-? - LAUGHLIN - look up please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 July 10 09:12 BST (UK) »
PRONI will be closing soon in preparation for their move to new headquarters although I've heard they might be keeping the church records at another library during that period. However, if it's in the LDS catalogue you should be able to order that microfilm from your local LDS library for a small fee to be viewed there when it arrives.
See LDS online catalogue to check- www.familysearch.org.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!