Author Topic: Help with Hoy/Orr 1882 marriage please  (Read 9556 times)

Offline mrshoneybear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Hoy/Orr 1882 marriage please
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie, I am helping a friend with her family tree & we have been interested in your posts.  Her grandfather is Joseph Hoy, Maggie's younger brother.  We have only have William Hoy & six siblings so we were especially interested that you said there was about 12 in the family.  Also yes there were 3 that were lost at sea, but from what we can discover none of them were on the SS Atlantis with William.  In addition to this I have been also doing my own family tree & have discoverd that Maggie (Hoy) Scmitzer's daughter Jean married my Great Grandmother's cousin's son Douglas Cowin at Bowraville.

Hoping you can give us any more info on William & his siblings.

Thanks Vicki
Blaxell (from Devon, Eng), Gledhill (from Eng), Grace (from Wiltshire Eng), Hoy (from County Antrim, Nthn Ireland),  Simon (from Nassau, Germany), Wilson (from Cambidge, Eng), Brown (from Oakham, Eng & later Scone, NSW), Newling (from Cambridgeshire, Eng & then Scone, NSW), Ball & Eatons from Worcestershire, Eng), Burris (from Wiltshire, ENg)

Offline jule

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vicki, Regarding William, I'd love to swap info, poems! etc and I will consult my (ever growing and rather disorganized ) notes and write shortly. However, I do have info to hand about Douglas or Dougie as my aunty called him. I am so pleased to be in touch with a Cowan family member as I have my aunt's honeymoon albums and every letter which Douglas wrote to my aunt during his war years. My aunt lived with us for years prior to remarrying later in life and, as a child, I grew up with her memories of her beloved husband Dougie who, as you know died in the Battle of Britain. Must dash now. Cheers Julie
Schmitzer, Newman, Davidson, Bryden , Hoy, Carter, Beck, Lambert, Swinburn(e), Death, Bruce, Frey, Orr, Hoyle

Offline mrshoneybear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 16 March 12 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,
My friend & I would love to swap info.  As to Your Uncle Doug, I didn't know where he died, only that he wasn't married for very long.  His mother was Catherine ("Kate") Grace who was  Great Grandma Grace's cousin.  So I am not actually a Cowin but come from the Grace line but would love to know more about Doug & of course he is also part of my friend's family tree. 

I believe your other Aunty - Mary - lives in Nambucca Heads & was married to George Scrivener.  We also have a few Scriveners in the family tree.

So i look forward to hearing from you again.
Vicki
Blaxell (from Devon, Eng), Gledhill (from Eng), Grace (from Wiltshire Eng), Hoy (from County Antrim, Nthn Ireland),  Simon (from Nassau, Germany), Wilson (from Cambidge, Eng), Brown (from Oakham, Eng & later Scone, NSW), Newling (from Cambridgeshire, Eng & then Scone, NSW), Ball & Eatons from Worcestershire, Eng), Burris (from Wiltshire, ENg)

Offline gorillagirl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 December 12 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone please help me interpret my grandmother's Australian birth certificate. It states that on 26th June 1882 ,her parents, William Joseph Hoy, mariner, from Island Magee, married Maggie Orr from Bellacarry. It also says she was born in Bellacarry. I suspect that the Aussie registrar misunderstood her lovely Irish accent and Maggie was actually from Ballycarry. This is my first post.....but I find I am already addicted to researching. Does it get steadily worse or will I be able to get it under control and leave this computer??? William Hoy's story is an interesting one (to me anyway!)...he survived a shipwreck (SS Atlantic 1873) and went on to name Blackhead NSW  after Blackhead in Ireland .

Hi Julie and everyone, I think we are second cousins Julie. My grandfather is Samuel, sister to your grandmother. I'm just starting out with genealogy so I'll probably be back with some questions. I have had an easy start though as the Hoy line seems to be well researched.

Offline jule

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 04:54 GMT (UK) »
Always lovely to meet another descendant from Maggie and William Hoy. We were lucky he didn't drown in the wreck of the Atlantic weren't we! Happy to help if I can and no doubt you will unearth more info to share with me. Rootschat is simply the best resource...... I am amazed by the help I have received with all the branches of my family. Talk soon Cheers Julie
Schmitzer, Newman, Davidson, Bryden , Hoy, Carter, Beck, Lambert, Swinburn(e), Death, Bruce, Frey, Orr, Hoyle