Author Topic: Passenger look up for America New York abt 1870, please?  (Read 3017 times)

Offline geniewhoami

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Passenger look up for America New York abt 1870, please?
« on: Thursday 22 July 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
Is it possible to trace an ancestor's US journey without knowing the exact date, departure and arrival port? My gt grandfather John Pearson b1835 in Hornby, Bedale,  left the UK for America in about 1867/8 (he had a daughter Ellen born in 1868, did he stay for the birth or had he already left?).
I cannot find him on the 1871 census and wife Jane (nee Eddy b 1846) is staying with her mother and daughters Charlotte and Ellen in Penrith but did go out to the US with the children. Family story has them living in Philadelpia area where John was a coal miner and he also owned a small piece of land which he farmed.
In 1873 they had a son Charles Eddy Pearson b in US then in 1874 my grandfather William Henry was born in US, he never had a birth cert. so cannot get area they lived from that.
I have tried to find John and later Jane and daughters on a passenger list from the most likely departure point of Liverpool and arrival at N York (family story says NY) but have had no success and have no idea if it is possible to find out with so little info. and even less likely that can find area where they settled for a few years. They were back in England by at least 1878 as daughter Elizabeth Ann was born in Spennymoor and they are in the following census of 1881. Am I looking for a needle in a haystack?? Genie
Wall, Weardale.  Foster, Weardale.  Pearson, Bedale, Crook, America.  Johnson, Crook.  Gordon, Ireland, Coundon.  Shaw, Stanley, Consett.

Offline geniewhoami

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger look up for America New York abt 1870, please?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 August 10 23:03 BST (UK) »
To follow on from the above - are children logged on ship records or is it just the adults?
Wall, Weardale.  Foster, Weardale.  Pearson, Bedale, Crook, America.  Johnson, Crook.  Gordon, Ireland, Coundon.  Shaw, Stanley, Consett.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 13:14 BST (UK) »
Depending on exactly where they arrived in - sometimes children, particularly young children, might not be listed by name (e.g. "infant") or adults might be listed as Mr, Mrs, Miss, etc.

They could also have come in via Canada. I take it neither of the sons born in the US give anything more than "America" on census records?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geniewhoami

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 August 10 12:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you, JoRose, that is right, the Uk census records have 'born in America'. Neither boys had a birth cert., my grandfather used to take the Family Bible with him for anything that needed evidence of birth, to both show a written record and swear on the Bible as to it being the truth!
I think they went through new York and ended up in Philadelphia but I cannot find anything to bear that out. Regards.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 August 10 14:05 BST (UK) »
As a coal miner/farmer he was more likely to be somewhere out in rural PA. There were certainly plenty of coal miners heading to that part of the world.

You could look to see whether any of either John or Jane's family members disappear and then check if they also went to the US, because people often followed family members, or if there was a large scale movement from the particular location they were living in when Ellen was born to the US at that time.

The closest I can find to your John is in the 1870 census of Hickory, Mercer, Pennsylvania: there is a John Pierson, 35, b. England, coal miner. He is living with this family:

John Patterson, 40, coal miner b. Scotland
Eleanor, 37, keeps house b. England
children Margaret, 14, Alice, 12, William, 10, John, 8, b. England
children Elizabeth, 3, Agnes, 11/12 (b. July) born Pennsylvania
(see http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html )
I believe this family are in the 1861 census at Hunwick and Helmington, Durham. Interestingly there is a John Pearson b. Hornby aged 26 in the same area in 1861 - father James, mother Eleanor.  It looks, from your other posts, that this might be your John's family. In that case, it does seem quite possible that John might have headed to an area of the US where, if not a relative, a friend from home was already residing.

Offline geniewhoami

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 August 10 21:46 BST (UK) »
Well done, Jorose, that is the John Pearson, my gt grandfather on the 1861 Hunwick census, his wife and his children had recently died, it wasn't until 1865 that he married Jane and had family with her. I have found John Patterson in the same Hunwick village but I have had no success on the Family Search link, I've spent hours going through the entries as it will not let me select just the 1870 census or allow anything but 'exact and partial' which gives me hundreds of pages and no matter how I have tried to refine it I cannot seem to access the 2 Johns. I think what you said is right, I think they probably worked together in the mine at Hunwick and when that laid people off -the whole Durham coalfield had a slump and thousands emigrated. (I wonder if the Pattersons came back as john and his family did after receiving word from 'home' that there was lots of work in the Durham coalfield again.)
However it looks very promising according to your information, apart from the mis-spelling of Pearson as Pierson.
I looked up the earlier records and found Eleanor was Eleanor (Ellen) Willey, born in Howden, Crook in 1833 but I cannot find a marriage record as yet.
I will keep trying to find something on the link you gave me. My computer isn't state of the art and I think I've just about worn it out, it is very slow and grumpy now.
Thanks for your help and information. Regards Gen.

Offline geniewhoami

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 August 10 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hello again Jorose. With thanks to you I have succeeded in downloading a copy of the 1870 census for Hickory Township and I'm sure that it is 'my' John Pearson' who is lodging with the Patersons.
I also have traced his passenger information - he arrived in New York port on 6 May 1870 on the ship 'Holland'! However I cannot find the journey details of his wife, Jane (b 1846) and daughters Charlotte (b 1866) and Ellen (b 1868) journey to the US some time after the UK census in 1871, or the return journey in abt 1877/8 of the family plus the 2 boys Charles Eddy (b 1873) and William Henry (b 1874) in the US but I will keep persevering!
Can you or anyone tell me, if I applied to the County department in Mercer they would have some idea of where the family settled (I know they had a house and some farmland that was sold when they returned home), and possible birth details for the 2 boys born in PA? Gen.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 August 10 19:52 BST (UK) »
I would suggest getting in touch with local history/genealogy societies/libraries and so on. You may need to look at church records as it appears they don't retain birth certificates from the 1870s at the county courthouse.  There might be some sort of land records as well.

http://www.mchspa.org/
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pamercer/PA/

Offline geniewhoami

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 August 10 10:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information. I will let you know if I have any success. Regards. Gen.