Author Topic: George and Johannes Schmitzer brothers emigrants from Dahenfeld to NSW Ausralia  (Read 3657 times)

Offline jule

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking advice about the emigration to Australia (date, ship and marital status?) of my gg grandfather George Joseph Schmitzer. (born 1832 Dahenfeld Germany). His brother Johannes Anton and wife Rosina Kopp traveled on the "Helene" which left Hamburg on 16th Oct 1852. I believe they were wine dressers, indentured to farmers at Raymond Terrace, NSW. George's marriage to Catherine Louisa Frey (B: 1833 Germany) is a real puzzle... I suspect they were the couple married 18/5/1856 at St Joseph's church East Maitland NSW...even though the names are not exact. They could not speak English so it appears the minister hastily wrote what they dictated. Was it common for German rural folk to be illiterate at that time? Any help or advice would be most welcome.

To avoid any duplication please see

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,470004.0.html
Schmitzer, Newman, Davidson, Bryden , Hoy, Carter, Beck, Lambert, Swinburn(e), Death, Bruce, Frey, Orr, Hoyle

Offline NJBen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: George and Johannes Schmitzer brothers emigrants from Dahenfeld to NSW Ausralia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 October 10 02:52 BST (UK) »
Julie:
I am related to the Schmitzer brothers through their mother. Go to http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com  When the home page opens go down the left side to the second box (it says to go to a specific database).  Type in    quarque    and that will take you to my entries on the Schmiter's and others. I have been to Dahenfeld and have worked with the old church books from there.  If you have any questions, you can e-mail me. My e-mail is listed at the top.

Nick

Offline jule

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: George and Johannes Schmitzer brothers emigrants from Dahenfeld to NSW Ausralia
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 October 10 05:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick, Thankyou so much for your post. I can't tell you how delighted I was to read it, follow your link and realize the extent of your research into our mutual ancestors. I will try to send an email now and yes, if you don't mind, I do have some questions. If for some reason you don't receive my email, could you please alert me here at Rootschat? Cheers Julie
Schmitzer, Newman, Davidson, Bryden , Hoy, Carter, Beck, Lambert, Swinburn(e), Death, Bruce, Frey, Orr, Hoyle

Offline jennial

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 October 10 05:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jule,

I have quite a large amount of research on the Schmitzers.  My latest hope for finding Georg who arrived in 1856, I think, is a Herv Schmitzer.  There are  a lot of family stories about Georg, but I do know he married just out of Raymond Terrace and have the detalsl of all his descendants and photos of his grave.  Also have many photos of descendants, of whom I am one in a direct line through Frederick and Honora Farrel, then Frederick and Annis Bernasconi, and my Dad who was Clement John.  I can be contacted on 0414485668 and live in Sydney if I can be of any further assistance

Offline jule

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 October 10 23:42 BST (UK) »
Sounds great ..another distant cousin ...... I'll be in touch shortly and we can swap info! You should also contact Nick from the post above. He lives in the US, is a Schmitzer relation and has done vast research on our rellies. He is very interested in obtaining information about the current lives of Schmitzer descendants  and would love to hear from you. I live at Avoca ...so not too far from you. Cheers Julie

Offline francesf

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny
I am a cousin on your Bernasconi side, daughter of Joe Fitzpatrick.  I recall you visiting our home with your mum & dad many years ago. I was wondering if you were interested in sharing information regarding this side of the family.
Frances

Offline jule

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 21:24 BST (UK) »
Please keep me in the loop distant cousins! Cheers Julie