Author Topic: William Albury of Maidstone Kent  (Read 1337 times)

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Albury of Maidstone Kent
« on: Saturday 24 July 10 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone.
I am trying to trace a William Albury who migrated to Upper Huon Hobart Tasmania Australia in 1881.  He was born near Maidstone in 1828.  He married Eliza Newman.  Her father William Newman was from Bass Somersetshire.  I am looking for a connection to a Mary Ann Albury who I believe is my gggrandmother married to a Thomas Wood Hobart 1838.  She is not a child of William's but may be a sister or some other relative born around 1823 who migrated with him.  She died in Hobart aged about 92.  This is all the information I have. I would appreciate any information on them at all if anyone could please help.  Thank you.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Albury of Maidstone Kent
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 July 10 11:53 BST (UK) »
Could this be them ?

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

click  the search button go down to no. 6 William ALBURY 1833

there's a Mary Ann & William ALBURY children of John ALBURY & Ann RALPH, one of their other children buried Wesleyan Cemetery, Liverpool, New South Wales, Australia     

ADDED

Sorry, looks as if this is not your family as this Mary Ann ALBURY bn 22/09/1821 East Farleigh Kent married to Jabez BUCKMAN, she died 21/01/1906 Nambucca Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 July 10 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Ladyhawk,
Thank you for your trouble, so near and yet so far.  I tried to make that family fit too but they didn't!  I am sorry I don't have more to go on...cheers.....

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 July 10 12:33 BST (UK) »

I am trying to trace a William Albury who migrated to Upper Huon Hobart Tasmania Australia in 1881.

He was born near Maidstone in 1828.  He married Eliza Newman.  Her father William Newman was from Bass Somersetshire.

I am looking for a connection to a Mary Ann Albury who I believe is my gggrandmother married to a Thomas Wood Hobart 1838.  She is not a child of William's but may be a sister or some other relative born around 1823 who migrated with him. She died in Hobart aged about 92.

This is all the information I have. I would appreciate any information on them at all if anyone could please help.  Thank you.

Do you know William's parents are ?

William ALBURY ch. 24/02/1828 East Farleigh Kent
father Charles ALBURY mother Sarah

other children ch. East Farleigh to Charles & Sarah

Charles ch. 17/11/1822
Sarah ch. 03/04/1825
Betsey 05/09/1830

(no Mary Ann ALBURY)

1841 census Kent

William ALBURY 13

1851 census Kent

William ALBURY 23 East Farleigh Farm Labourer
Eliza 26 Boxley, Kent ???
Betsy 2 East Farleigh

(sorry don't have full transcription details)

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 July 10 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Ladyhawk..I do not know who his parents are and I think that the printout I have for Eliza being born in 'BASS' may mean BATH....I am positi ve Mary Ann is my ggggrandmother and William's listing in the 'cyclopedia of Tasmania' was sent in family papers to me.  The info I have is from that.  Yet I can make no connection at all.  Thank you Ladyhawk, the 1851 may be him, I think there may have been a child left in England (as an adult) and the others born in Tas....cheers to you.....

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 July 10 13:02 BST (UK) »
If you don't get any luck finding a birth record for Mary Ann, another avenue to think about is ordering the marriage certificates of both William & Mary Ann ALBURY to see if their father's name match

or ask for look up on the passenger lists to Tasmania Australia from UK

William ALBURY
Eliza NEWMAN
Maidstone
Mar q 1848
vol 5 page 338

there is a

Mary Ann ALBURY 20 (1821) occ. F. S born in this county (Y) on 1841 census London

edited

I am trying to trace a William Albury who migrated to Upper Huon Hobart Tasmania Australia in 1881.

I am looking for a connection to a Mary Ann Albury who I believe is my gggrandmother married to a Thomas Wood Hobart 1838.

She is not a child of William's but may be a sister or some other relative born around 1823 who migrated with him.

She died in Hobart aged about 92.

sorry the above 1841 census can't be your Mary Ann ALBURY as you say she married Thomas WOOD in Hobart in 1838, so she must have left before William in 1881  :-\ 

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 July 10 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Ladyhawk, thanks very much, that looks like it could well be them . I will see if I can find their shipping records anyway.  They are not listed on arrivals in Tassie but then neither are a lot of people especially if they were free settlers.  The link must be somewhere..cheers