Author Topic: Wexford People  (Read 73602 times)

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wexford People
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 19:21 BST (UK) »
For Barbara;
1881 Eng/Wales census;

Eyre Henry; head, married, 74, dealer general produce, Wexford
Eyre Eliza; wife, married, 74,  Tipperary
Eyre Thos; son, single, 26, debt collector clerk, Wexford.
(West Derby Lancashire)
----------------
Jack

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 21:00 BST (UK) »
I have found this site by chance and how glad i am as i notice the name Crosbie is well mentioned.
My name is John Crosbie and my father John Joseph was born in 1901 roches terrace and father was James and mother Ellen, I never got to know my father due to my mother and father splitting up just after i was born in 1955 Birmingham UK, I have visited Wexford a number of times to see where my dad was born on the terrace.
On my first visit there approx 13 years ago i knocked on a door to speak to a lady to find out if she knew of a Crosbie, she told me that at one time the terrace was taken up by a few families of Crosbies and i was shocked to hear of how many people was raised in such a small house.
I was hoping if someone here could help me in getting to know what my family of Crosbies was like and how day to day life was for them, I would be very grateful for all info offered as not knowing about ones family can always be on ones mind in wanting to have knowledge about them?
The picture on my profile is of my dad taken in 1943 when he came to work in Birmingham UK and the picture i have inserted is my granddad James at my grandmother Ellen's graveside.

Many thanks to all

Here is the Rowe St Church parish register entry for the marriage of James & Ellen on 25th Feb 1900. One of the witnesses was a Annie Crosbie of Roches Terrace. Looking at the info on the various 1901 & 1911 censuses Annie is very likely the elder sister of James.
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 21:31 BST (UK) »
Below is a 1901 Rowe St church Baptism register entry for a son of James & Ellen Crosbie (nee Hamilton) but his name is Peter not John Joseph?

In the 1911 census the 3 living children of James & Ellen Crosbie (Patrick, Margaret and James) are stated so Peter must have died young. However there is no John Joseph living with the family?

There is a 10 year old John Crosbie living with with an Auntie in the Faythe in the 1911 census.
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline roches

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 31 March 11 12:04 BST (UK) »
Silly me i have made an error concerning the date of birth for my dad and obviously that's why he's not on the census, Date of birth is ( 22-may-1911 ) at Roches Terrace, son of James and Ellen Crosbie and Ellen's maiden name was Hamilton, now on his certificate it says only John but i was always told his name was John Joseph? and when later in life he used to be called Jack in Birmingham which i am told was common for John.
So now it seems i have relatives named Hamilton and there seems to be many in the 1911 census but where do i begin to find either names related to me as all this is very confusing to me and would dearly love to meet either if possible, well it is a good reason to have an Irish holiday LOL
I took a look at the Martin and Paddy Crosbie profession and have been playing  it over and over and have the family doing their nut at me, i feel quite proud i have to say having stuff like this being told me.
I very much appreciate all that is being done for me as if not for you fellas i would still be twiddling my thumbs and great thanks for the site.
Seems some of the Crosbies have been naughty over the years Jack2227
Crosbies of Wexford

Offline Sir Crispin Gaylord, Bt.

• RootsChat Extra
  • All Information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 03 April 11 05:58 BST (UK) »
Here are final Holy Men of the Confraternity - hope they were useful

Nicky,
   In the final set of photo's, any idea which Patrick Roche and Thomas Hayes are pictured?
Yours, etc.
   Sir Crispin Gaylord, Bt.

Offline Roches Terrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 02 September 11 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

I am a daughter of Paddy Crosbie. My great grandfather was Peter Crosbie of 1 Roches Terrace. His oldest son was called James. It is possible that this is the James Crosbie in no. 3 as although I have his birth in 1881 which would make him 30 not 32 as per 1911 census, I have not verified the year with his birth cert!

According to the information that I have. Peter was born in 1851 and was married to Margaret Bolger. They had 8 children James, Martin (my grandfather), Annie, Margaret, Richard, Peter and Elizabeth (but known as Peeney and Bessie and I believe they were twins).

I hope this was helpfull. If you believe we are indeed related and you are looking for further family information let me know..

Names: - Crosbie - Corcoran - Rossiter - Downes - Bolger - Stafford - Mernagh from Oylgate - Roth and Hay

Offline Roches Terrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 03 September 11 09:27 BST (UK) »
Further to my last post regarding Crosbie's of Roches Terrace the following may be of help. James Crosbie was a councillor with Wexford Corporation, the following is an extract from a Local Wexford Newspaper. (as Margaret was 60 in 1911 census I would say she died in 1940 - She was reputed to have had a three-octave voice, and used sing in Bride Street Church in Wexford ) My own grandfather is missing from the funeral as he died in 1935 .. My father was always called Harold by the family so I presume he is the grandson that is listed ..

Extract from Local Wexford Newspaper (Undated)

MRS. M. CROSBIE, WEXFORD

The death of Mrs. Margaret Crosbie nee Bolger, Roches Terrace, Wexford occurred Wednesday of last week at the fine age of 89 years.  The deceased lady, widow of the late, Mr. Peter Crosbie, leading tradesman of his time in the town. She was of a very kindly gentle disposition and was greatly esteemed by all who knew her, especially by those in her own neighbourhood where she resided for over 50 years.  She was an exemplary Catholic and during her last illness was attended by Rev N. Cardiff and Rev. P. Doyle R.C.A.  She was mother of Mr. James Crosbie. T. C. with whom and the other members of her family sincere sympathy is felt in their bereavement.  The funeral to St. Ibar’s Cemetery, Crosstown, was very large and representative.  The chief mourners were: James, Michael and Richard (sons); James, John, Michael, Peter, Harold Crosbie, Peter Walsh (grandsons); James Bergin (great-grandson); Tony Crosbie (nephew) Thomas Crosbie, Joseph Walsh and J. Carty (sons in law) Patrick Healey (relative).  Rev. N. Cardiff, C.C., recited the prayers at the graveside. R.I.P.

At a meeting of Wexford Corporation on Monday night, Ald. R. Corish (Mayor) proposed a vote of sympathy with Councillor Crosbie on the death of his mother.  The Mayor said that the late Mrs. Crosbie was widely loved and her sons had contributed to the technical and musical world in and (extract from paper damaged – unreadable)

Names: - Crosbie - Corcoran - Rossiter - Downes - Bolger - Stafford - Mernagh from Oylgate - Roth and Hay

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
  • I write extensively on the history of Wexford town
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 03 September 11 12:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks that is fantastic. I am still not too sure of the family direct connection. I only knew Bessie as an older woman, bed-ridden I think, living with Mag and Paddy Healy at 6 Roches Terrace. My grandfather lived in number 7.
Tony Crosbie (nephew) was a fire station officer and first driver of Wexford fire engine in the 1930s. I have a few photos of him. Patrick Healy (relative) is probably Paddy.
WOW just noticed Joe Walsh (son in law) my grandfather was Joe Walsh. James Bergin was also from The Terrace - a well known GAA player in his day.
Thanks and would love to know more about what I now believe is a part of the family.
Wexford Town Rossiter Sludds Ratigan Lowney Social History

Offline Roches Terrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 03 September 11 15:05 BST (UK) »
I'm glad you found this of interest. In regard to Bessie, she married a Thomas Crosbie which might cause confusion.. James and Michael were singers. Michael competed against Count John McCormack at the ard Fheis. James was chairman of the Labour Party in Wexford, a T.C. and often "stood in" for Nick Corish, Mayor.

My grandfather married Elizabeth Corcoran - He was an employee of Messrs, Pierce and Co. Mill Road Iron Works, Wexford, where he served his time as a fitter before he went to Dublin were he was overseer of permanent Way of Dublin National Tram Co.

He was a well known figure on the Wexford stage, and a member of the famous mirth-making company, Beantown Black Brigade! He had a good tenor voice, with an extremely high range. His brother in law Pat Corcoran, a member of the same troupe, also had unusual musical talent. He had a fine alto voice and a natural aptitude for melodic harmony. Pat was a lino operator of such skill that he was selected as demonstrator for the Intertype Company, and in that capacity he was known in every newspaper office and printing house in Ireland..

Elizabeth (Lilly) Corcoran was born to parents John Corcoran and Catherine Stafford.

It has been the understanding in our family that our great grandfather John Corcoran with his brother William founded the weekly Wexford newspaper “The Free Press” (1923 - 1971 )and some time later there was a row and John left Wexford and moved to Dublin. William went on to make a success of the paper. However when I was talking to the mother of one of my son's  school friends I discovered that we were actually 2nd (I think) cousins as her great grandfather was William. Their family’s understanding however is that William founded the paper alone. I guess we will never know for sure but I do think it gas that 2 brothers have a falling out and completely loose touch, then generations later their respective great great grandsons end up sitting next to each other in school and become friends…