Author Topic: Wexford People  (Read 73601 times)

Offline Roches Terrace

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wexford People
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 03 September 11 15:32 BST (UK) »
Further to my previous post - source - newspaper clippings ..
Names: - Crosbie - Corcoran - Rossiter - Downes - Bolger - Stafford - Mernagh from Oylgate - Roth and Hay

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
  • I write extensively on the history of Wexford town
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 03 September 11 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks
Do you know anything about Joe Walsh - he is listed as son in law but no daughter mentioned.
Wexford Town Rossiter Sludds Ratigan Lowney Social History

Offline Roches Terrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 03 September 11 19:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that picture and information on Tony Crosbie. I note from my own family records that -

Margaret Crosbie was married to Walsh (so I'd say that must be Joe Walsh)

Annie was married twice - 1st to Coles then to Carthy (so that must be J.Carthy)

I have also confirmed that Bessie's daughter Mag married a Healy so that's why she was living with her ..

If Joe Walsh was your grandfather then we are related .. nice to meet you! I have traced the family tree back to Michael Crosbie and Mary Roth who were married on 15th September 1717. I'll post the details shortly ..
Names: - Crosbie - Corcoran - Rossiter - Downes - Bolger - Stafford - Mernagh from Oylgate - Roth and Hay

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 04 September 11 16:09 BST (UK) »
That would be great.
It is interesting that Patrick Healy was only referred to as a relative in the obit.
I can post (or send) some pics of Tony, Maggie Crosbie (married to martin Bergin I think)

Offline Roches Terrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 04 September 11 16:35 BST (UK) »
I expect describing Patrick Healy as grandaughter's husband might have been considered too much for an obit?
Do you have any other information on Tony Crosbie i.e. who his parents were, if he was Margaret's nephew I imagine he was a son of one of Peter's brothers - Patrick, James, Thomas or Richard?

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 04 September 11 18:18 BST (UK) »
Tony like all firemen lived in Davitt Road. I cannot be sure who his father was but Richard was the most commonly commented upon name that I recall.
As stated earlier one claim to fame was the fact that he drove the first motor fire engine in about 1935.
He was a fore man in Wexford Corporation from 1957 until his death in 1970.
I am attaching a picture of him with some others at Carrig. The date on the picture was 1933.
The vocal ability appears to have come down in our side of the family to Joe's son and daughter Peter and Peggy (both passed away) they usually only sang at family weddings. The Old Bog Road was a particular party piece. My mother Katie was a shier person.

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 04 September 11 22:40 BST (UK) »
MRS. M. CROSBIE, WEXFORD

The death of Mrs. Margaret Crosbie nee Bolger, Roches Terrace, Wexford occurred Wednesday of last week at the fine age of 89 years.  The deceased lady, widow of the late, Mr. Peter Crosbie, leading tradesman of his time in the town. She was mother of Mr. James Crosbie. T. C. with whom and the other members of her family sincere sympathy is felt in their bereavement. The chief mourners were: James, Michael and Richard (sons); James, John, Michael, Peter, Harold Crosbie, Peter Walsh (grandsons); James Bergin (great-grandson); Tony Crosbie (nephew) Thomas Crosbie, Joseph Walsh and J. Carty (sons in law) Patrick Healey (relative). 

Here's a 1933 parish register entry for the marriage of a John Crosbie from Roches Terrace, father James Crosbie and witness Michael Crosbie.
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline Roches Terrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 05 September 11 10:42 BST (UK) »
Great photograph, (lovely glimpse back in time). The musical talent skipped a generation in our family, I have a niece who is a gifted song writer /singer and a nephew who is also a very gifted composer and guitar player.. then of course Daryn Crosbie (grandson of my uncle Martin Crosbie) is the choreographer in the Gaiety ..

With regard to the wedding of John Crosbie, if he was a son of James in number 3 and it was the John refered to by "Roches" maybe he married twice?
Silly me i have made an error concerning the date of birth for my dad and obviously that's why he's not on the census, Date of birth is ( 22-may-1911 ) at Roches Terrace, son of James and Ellen Crosbie and Ellen's maiden name was Hamilton, now on his certificate it says only John but i was always told his name was John Joseph? and when later in life he used to be called Jack in Birmingham which i am told was common for John.
So now it seems i have relatives named Hamilton and there seems to be many in the 1911 census but where do i begin to find either names related to me as all this is very confusing to me and would dearly love to meet either if possible, well it is a good reason to have an Irish holiday LOL
I took a look at the Martin and Paddy Crosbie profession and have been playing it over and over and have the family doing their nut at me, i feel quite proud i have to say having stuff like this being told me.
I very much appreciate all that is being done for me as if not for you fellas i would still be twiddling my thumbs and great thanks for the site.
Seems some of the Crosbies have been naughty over the years Jack2227

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 05 September 11 14:10 BST (UK) »
With regard to the wedding of John Crosbie, if he was a son of James in number 3 and it was the John refered to by "Roches" maybe he married twice?

I may be missing something here but "Roches" hasn't mentioned his Mother's name as far as I can see. What makes you thing John Crosbie, son of James Crosbie, may have married twice?
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester