Author Topic: Wexford People  (Read 73605 times)

Offline Roches Terrace

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wexford People
« Reply #54 on: Monday 05 September 11 14:19 BST (UK) »
Your right, I obviously wasn't consentrating so that would be his parents marriage certificate ..
Names: - Crosbie - Corcoran - Rossiter - Downes - Bolger - Stafford - Mernagh from Oylgate - Roth and Hay

Offline Roches Terrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 05 September 11 14:24 BST (UK) »
Your right, I obviously wasn't consentrating so that would be his parents marriage certificate ..

This should help him confirm or refute the family connection ..

Offline Roches Terrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 05 September 11 14:40 BST (UK) »
Crosbie

It has been said that our ancestors came from an island off Wexford. The surviving parish registers are available in Microfilm in the National Library of Ireland in Dublin for the period up to 1870 and it may be possible to obtain some information there re: Michael (1700) place of birth, parents etc.  It is possible that he came to Wexford from a parish just North or North West of the town.

The name must have been changed to CROSBIE sometime after the birth of James (1804). Crosby (like Formby, Whitby and Kirby) was the name of a Norse (Viking) settlement in North West England about 850 a.d.  The Mac an Crosain (MacCrossan) changed their name to the English, Crosbie/Crosby around 1575 - There is much writing about the Crosbies of Kerry.

[
color=Blue]    Michael Crosby it would appear came to Wexford town to work and married a local girl Mary Roth on the 15th September 1717.  She was born on the 27th April 1706, to William Roth and Margaret Hay. ( I expect that there has been an error with regard to wedding date as Mary would have only been 11yrs of age in 1717 – I would deduce from the age of their 1st born John that this should read 1727)

They had 5 sons –
John 1728,
Thomas 1730,
Miles 1732,
William 1734
My Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather James, born on the 20th July, 1736.[/color]

James married Anastasia Rossiter

They had 2 daughters and 6 sons.
The eldest, John, was born on the 8th December 1768
followed by Elizabeth 1774,
Anastasia 1776,
Thomas 1781,
James 1782,
Thomas 1793,
Michael 1785,
William 1787
.[/color]

John married Mary Downes

Their children included a daughter
Elizabeth 1802
followed by a son, James who was born on the 14th November 1804.
[/color]

James married Anne Mernagh from Oylgate, Co. Wexford on the 9th November 1844.  Witnesses were Peter Mernagh and John Furlong.  Anne died on the 22nd September 1868 aged 43 years.

They had a daughter Mary born 27th September 1845
and several sons who included Patrick 1847,
Peter 1851 (13th June)
James,
Thomas 1861
Richard 1865.
[/color]

Peter 1851 married Margaret Bolger (89)
Margaret Bolger had a brother, James, who died at 98 years and a sister Anne, who died at 94years.

Their children were
James 1881,
Martin 1882,
Annie,
Margaret,
Michael 1890,
Richard 1892,
Peeney and Bessie (Peter and Elizabeth).
[/color]
Names: - Crosbie - Corcoran - Rossiter - Downes - Bolger - Stafford - Mernagh from Oylgate - Roth and Hay

Offline Roches Terrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 05 September 11 14:51 BST (UK) »
Is your name Crosby

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
  • I write extensively on the history of Wexford town
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 05 September 11 18:23 BST (UK) »
The island may have been Begerin. It was incorporated into the North Slobs with reclamation in the late 1800s. The parish would be Ardcavan within the current Castlebridge Parish.
Wexford Town Rossiter Sludds Ratigan Lowney Social History

Offline Irishdaughter

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 09 October 11 16:25 BST (UK) »
My mother was a first cousin of Paddy Crosbie and we share the same great grandmother: Catherine Stafford.

My mother's maiden name was Murray. My grandmother (Catherine) and Lily Crosbie were sisters!

I will try and find and upload a wonderful picture of Martin Crosbie aged 5, Catherine, Lily, Nellie and my grandfather John Murray with a horse and cart, looking very grand.

Hello John,

I am a daughter of Paddy Crosbie. My great grandfather was Peter Crosbie of 1 Roches Terrace. His oldest son was called James. It is possible that this is the James Crosbie in no. 3 as although I have his birth in 1881 which would make him 30 not 32 as per 1911 census, I have not verified the year with his birth cert!

According to the information that I have. Peter was born in 1851 and was married to Margaret Bolger. They had 8 children James, Martin (my grandfather), Annie, Margaret, Richard, Peter and Elizabeth (but known as Peeney and Bessie and I believe they were twins).

I hope this was helpfull. If you believe we are indeed related and you are looking for further family information let me know..

Offline nickr90

• RootsChat Member
  • I write extensively on the history of Wexford town
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 09 October 11 17:47 BST (UK) »
I am told that these are Crosbies but I have no other information.
By the way - Michael Healy son of Paddy Healy and Margaret (Mag Crosbie) of Roches Terrace passed away in rent weeks
Wexford Town Rossiter Sludds Ratigan Lowney Social History

Offline Roches Terrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 10 October 11 10:30 BST (UK) »
It would be wonderful to see that photo! I have very little information on my great grandmother so naturally I was delighted to see your post. I know the Stafford family were farmers from Rathaspick, Co. Wexford but that is all!
I attach a copy of one of the few photos I have of Catherine Stafford with her husband John Corcoran..

Offline roches

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 13 October 11 18:03 BST (UK) »
With regard to the wedding of John Crosbie, if he was a son of James in number 3 and it was the John refered to by "Roches" maybe he married twice?

I may be missing something here but "Roches" hasn't mentioned his Mother's name as far as I can see. What makes you thing John Crosbie, son of James Crosbie, may have married twice?
His wife Mary Jane Murphy was my stepmother and they both went on to live in Oxford England until my dad died and then Mary Jane returned to live in Wexford, He was not married to my mother
Crosbies of Wexford