Author Topic: Wexford People  (Read 73644 times)

Offline Roches Terrace

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wexford People
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 27 October 11 10:29 BST (UK) »
Tony like all firemen lived in Davitt Road. I cannot be sure who his father was but Richard was the most commonly commented upon name that I recall.
As stated earlier one claim to fame was the fact that he drove the first motor fire engine in about 1935.
He was a fore man in Wexford Corporation from 1957 until his death in 1970.
I am attaching a picture of him with some others at Carrig. The date on the picture was 1933.
The vocal ability appears to have come down in our side of the family to Joe's son and daughter Peter and Peggy (both passed away) they usually only sang at family weddings. The Old Bog Road was a particular party piece. My mother Katie was a shier person.

On reading over  a chapter in my father's book "Your Dinners Poured Out" I found a reference to Tony and his father, Dick (Richard) -
" My grandmother lived at Number 1 roches Terrace, and that is where I stayed each time. As I mentioned earlier she had been well known in her young days for her extraordinary singing voice. She was now very deaf and every night from her bed in the back room she called out the Rosary to Uncle Dick, Cousin Tony and myself in bed in the front room..."
The same chapter also mentions Jack Crosbie -

" I loved Wexford, where I went catching bees near Wexford with John James, or swimming at Hore Rock with my cousin Jack Crosbie, or crossing the harbour to Ferrybank in Bung Potts' boat."
Names: - Crosbie - Corcoran - Rossiter - Downes - Bolger - Stafford - Mernagh from Oylgate - Roth and Hay

Offline Roches Terrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 27 October 11 10:52 BST (UK) »
My mother was a first cousin of Paddy Crosbie and we share the same great grandmother: Catherine Stafford.

My mother's maiden name was Murray. My grandmother (Catherine) and Lily Crosbie were sisters!

I will try and find and upload a wonderful picture of Martin Crosbie aged 5, Catherine, Lily, Nellie and my grandfather John Murray with a horse and cart, looking very grand.

Any luck finding that picture? There is a copy in my father's book but the resolution is very poor so I would love to see your copy!
Names: - Crosbie - Corcoran - Rossiter - Downes - Bolger - Stafford - Mernagh from Oylgate - Roth and Hay

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 12 February 12 21:57 GMT (UK) »

I am a daughter of Paddy Crosbie. My great grandfather was Peter Crosbie of 1 Roches Terrace. His oldest son was called James. It is possible that this is the James Crosbie in no. 3 as although I have his birth in 1881 which would make him 30 not 32 as per 1911 census, I have not verified the year with his birth cert!

According to the information that I have. Peter was born in 1851 and was married to Margaret Bolger. They had 8 children James, Martin (my grandfather), Annie, Margaret, Richard, Peter and Elizabeth (but known as Peeney and Bessie and I believe they were twins).

Peter and Elizabeth were not twins.

Peter Crosbie was born on 20/11/1883 and Elizabeth Crosby (Bessie Crosbie) was born on 22/10/1885 hence both their stated ages on the 1901 & 1911 censuses are correct.

The parish records below indicate that the family lived in Bride Street prior to moving to Roches Terrace.
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 12 February 12 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Following on from the above the family had moved into Roches Terrace by the time Michael Crosbie was born on 2nd May 1890 per the Bride St church parish register.

Offline Roches Terrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 13 February 12 08:57 GMT (UK) »
To follow last post - Newspaper notice of Michael Crosbie's death aged 76.

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello John,

I am a daughter of Paddy Crosbie. My great grandfather was Peter Crosbie of 1 Roches Terrace. His oldest son was called James. It is possible that this is the James Crosbie in no. 3 as although I have his birth in 1881 which would make him 30 not 32 as per 1911 census, I have not verified the year with his birth cert!

According to the information that I have. Peter was born in 1851 and was married to Margaret Bolger. They had 8 children James, Martin (my grandfather), Annie, Margaret, Richard, Peter and Elizabeth (but known as Peeney and Bessie and I believe they were twins).

Hi - Michael Crosbie was born on the 4th April 1881 so it's unlikely that James was also born in 1881. In a later post you state Michael's year of birth as 1882 but see baptism record below which confirms it was 1881.

Offline wexfordjoy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hello I'm a Crosbie too.  My Grandfather was Michael Crosbie from Roaches Terrace and I can see a very strong family resemblance to the two men in the photo.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 21:15 BST (UK) »
From- Houses of Wexford (David Rowe & Eithne Scallan)
(permission granted)

Ballingly Mill Ballymitty;
A former resident considers the house to date from the 1700s as members of the Crosbie family (who have always been owners) fought and died in the Battle of the Three Rocks in the Rebellion of 1798.
Family members are buried at Ardcandrisk (farmhouse at Foulkmills)
It is said locally that the ancestors came with Strongbow by boat up the Corock River from Bannow Bay.
This agreeable propertry was always a popular gathering place. An old ballad contains a reference to approaching by boat in fog.."we'll steer her for thelime-kilns and the bark of Gleeson's dog"
The Wexford People of 1919 refers to the marriage of James Crosbie, son of James Crosbie of Ballingly, to Margaret Hayes, daughter of Laurence of Ferrycarrig.
=====
Jack

Offline jleyre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 05:12 BST (UK) »
This is a fantastic thread! Congrats on finding a great-grandfather!

If anyone comes across in the late 1700s, early 1800s:
Ballinvally, Kilnamanagh, Co. Wexford (also Gorey and Kilpatrick areaa)

1) Henry Eyre [b. approx 1760-1770 ... just guessing]

2) John Eyre [b. approx 1790-1800 ... just guessing]; m. Sarah Edwards

3) Phoebe Eyre [b. 1823]
3) George Eyre [b. 1826]
3) Alice Eyre [b. 1832]
3) John Pentire Eyre [b. 1835, d. 1912]; m. Elizabeth Earle
3) Thomas Eyre [b. 1836]; m. Lucy Arnold 1862 Drumcondra; distant cousin has done this branch.
3) William Eyre [b. 1845, d. 1908]; m. Frances Christie 1865; later moved to Co. Kilkenny; my great-great-grandparents.

I do have Henry, John, Thomas, and William mentioned in the 1798 rebellion surrenders claims and also some mention in the Griffith's Valuation.

I am mostly looking for mentions in newspapers, certs, anything of Henry, his son John, and at least the first 4 of John's kids.

Hi Barbara,
Thomas Eyre & Lucy Arnold are my husband's great-great grandparents.  I was wondering where I can find this information that you posted, for my own verification?  If you would like to see how Thomas & Lucy's line descends, please let me know.  I will send you an Ancestry.com link to my tree.  So glad you shared this info! :)
Sincerely,
Jamie (Cecil) Eyre
Eyre--Ireland, England
Bosonnet--Ireland, France