Author Topic: Kenwyn - Cawney  (Read 2451 times)

Offline bullet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Kenwyn - Cawney
« on: Sunday 25 July 10 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hello  ::)

I've just started my Cornish side of the family.  Joseph Manley (b. abt 1801) was a lead miner in Wales who was married to Ann.  She was born in Cawney abt 1807 as stated on the 1851 census and all after.  Joseph however, died in 1850 so I don't know whether he was born in Cornwall or  Mold, Flintshire, Wales.

I've just found on Family Search a marriage between a Joseph Manley and a Ann Dothya Reed in 1827 in Kenwyn.  Their first child was born in 1829.

As I don't know the Cornish geography very well yet, my question is - is Cawney and Kenwyn near each other or the same place or parish? and am wondering whether this is the correct marriage.

Hoping someone can help and start me off on the right foot.

Regards

Bullet

Woodward - Cheshire, Robinson - Yorkshire, Rees - Wales, Ohara, McGlennon, Kirwan - Ireland & Scotland.

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwyn - Cawney
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 July 10 12:06 BST (UK) »
Cornwall OPC has this marriage

28 May 1827
Parish Kenwyn
Joseph Manley
Ann Rablyn Reed

witnesses John and Richard Manley
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 July 10 12:16 BST (UK) »
Dont know if this is helpful but on 1841 there is this family

Elenor Mandley 75
James 38
Richard 35 both copper miners
all born in county
Tod Pool Kenwyn reg district Truro
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 July 10 12:22 BST (UK) »
And heres a beauty given the wifes middle name and John the witness
John Manley 42 mine agent
Mariah 40
Jane Rablin 20 m s
all born in county

Creeg Crause,Kenwyn
HO107 147/16/51/4

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 July 10 12:26 BST (UK) »
In 51 the other possible witness

Richard 43 tin miner b Kenwyn
Mary A 37 wife b Feock

Creegbraws Kenwyn

I think its a safe bet Joseph was born Kenwyn

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 July 10 12:33 BST (UK) »
If you Google  Cornwall OPC  you will find quite a few relevent marriages.Just search on Manley and Kenwyn

Offline bullet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 July 10 00:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you Isobelruss

You're a star! I now have more of a starting point and will look into it today.  Is Cawney nearby?

Bullet
Woodward - Cheshire, Robinson - Yorkshire, Rees - Wales, Ohara, McGlennon, Kirwan - Ireland & Scotland.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 July 10 02:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Bullet,

I have not come accross a "Cawney". You mention Ann Gave her POB as Cawney in 1851 and thereafter. That does not appear to be the case. Yes in 1851 it does look like Cawney. However - In 1881 Anne R gives her POB as Chacewater. In 1871 Ann R states Kenwyn and 1861 Ann gives her POB as as H/Kenwen.

REED Ann Rabling was baptised 4 Jun 1807 Gwennap parents Samuel and Ann

Samuel REED = Ann RABLYN/RABLEN 8 Sep 1804 Kenwyn

John MANLY/MANLEY sojourner = Eleanor MANUEL 31 Dec 1786 Kenwyn

John MANLEY was buried 20 July 1830 at Chacewater. He was aged 71 of Cheegbrawse

Looking at Joseph and Ann's marriage

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/moreinfo.php?ID=491603&dbtype=marriages&formval=

I notice John is still alive at this time and there is a son Richard

I can see the baptism of some of their children in Gwennap

Samuel 13 Apr 1801
James 23 Aug 1803
Richard 24 Aug 1807

(probably others I don't have time to go through them all at the moment - but alas I am not spotting a baptism for Joseph)

Gwennap Records

http://gwennap-opc.com/

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 July 10 04:14 BST (UK) »

Joseph and Ann named their first four children - according to the 1841 census Ann, Elinor, John and Samuel. (all four probable parents names) I feel it is likely Joseph is the son of John and Eleanor but have tried other sources for a baptism for Joseph to no avail so far. I wonder if it may be of interest to note a Joseph was baptised in Gwennap to John and Eleanor MANUEL 12 Jun 1896 (I note your Joseph was aged 40 in 1841 so born between 1796 and 1801) I do not see a marriage to account for this baptism. CFHS also transcribe it as MANUEL so I think that is what is listed - You could order a printout from the Cornwall Records Office

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=14710

John MANLEY left a will which you could also purchase from the CRO

http://crocat.cornwall.gov.uk/DServe/dserve.exe?dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Show.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqPos=5&dsqSearch=%28%28text%29=%27manley%27%29

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk