Author Topic: Charles WEEDEN and Sophia HILL  (Read 7363 times)

Offline dazer_man

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles WEEDEN and Sophia HILL
« on: Sunday 25 July 10 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find the baptism / birth / parents of Charles WEEDEN born 1806 in Kent according to death cert and 1841 census. He married Sophia HILL in Thurnham near Maidstone on 25 Dec 1825.  I have Sophia's baptism at All Saints Maidstone 18 Oct 1807 born 9 Sep 1807.  He was a Papermaker and lived in Chancery Lane / Paradise Row.  He died of conjestion of the brain due to excessive opium.

Dazer_man

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Charles WEEDEN and Sophia HILL
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 July 10 20:58 BST (UK) »
Just something to possibly bear in mind for the future

On the same page of the 1841 entry is a William Weeden aged 20.  IGI pilot site shows parents as George & Mary but nothing for Charles
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dazer_man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 July 10 13:34 BST (UK) »
Carole,

Yes, I also saw William on the same page.  I am hoping Charles is also George and Mary's child.  George and Mary (Upton) were married in West Malling in 1802.  As I said, I have Charles and Sophia's marriage (Thurnham in 1825).  I have checked the Thurnham baps - nothing.  A Sarah Weeden was married in Thurnham in 1827 - perhaps she could be Charles' sister?  In the 1861 census it says Sarah (by then Sarah Johnson) was born in Wrotham.  I found her baptism in Wrotham - parents George and Mary but no baptism for a Chalres.  There was an Elizabeth of George and Mary though.  Also looked in West Malling baps and All Saints Maidstone baps - but did not find Charles ..... Some Ancestry researchers have George son of George and Mary b. 1806 (when Charles should be born) but with no clear references e.g. baptism info.  Could George jnr be George Charles??  I haven't found a birth for a George either though?

Dazer_man

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 July 10 17:29 BST (UK) »
A quick scout of the IGI gives:-

Children of Geo & Mary Weedon

Henry Weeden    02 AUG 1802      Maidstone, Kent, England
JOHN WEEDEN     24 JUL 1803      Saint Mary Cray, Kent, England
HARRIET WEEDEN    06 APR 1806      Shoreham, Kent, England
George Weeden    02 FEB 1812      Maidstone, Kent, England
Rebecca Weeden     02 JAN 1814      Maidstone, Kent, England
Catherine Weedon     04 NOV 1821      Maidstone, Kent, England

So it looks like he may have moved around a bit. As only some parishes are covered on the IGI it means you will need to search surrounding parishes at the Kent RO.

Note that:-

1) there is bapt of a RACHEL EVANS WEDON at     Dartford, Kent, England on 27 APR 1823   to a CHARLES &  ELIZABETH WEDON. Could your Charles have married twice?

2) George & Mary Weedon seem to have been baptising children at the same time and place as a John & Elizabeth Weedon so there may have been quite a few cousins wandering around, just to confuse things!

Offline catgene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 June 11 22:55 BST (UK) »
I am researching a George Weeden, born about 1812 in England.   I think he may be the George baptized at All Saints Church, Maidstone on 2 Feb. 1812, son of George & Mary (Upton) Weeden.   My George married Louisa Singleton before 1834 when their first child was born.  From the LDS Familysearch, they had 3 children baptized at All Saints Church, all on the 7 Feb. 1836:  George Henry, Ellen Amelia, and Emma Louisa.   I found Louisa with the children in the 1841 Mortlake Parish, Surrey, England census.  Additional children that I know of but have not found the birth or baptismal are:  Mary Ann, born 1839, Louisa, born 1840, Sophia, born abt 1844, and Robert Henry born 1846 (possibly born Wales).  This George Weeden family moved to America and are found in the 1850 Rochester, 3rd Ward, Monroe County, New York, page 99, census.   George Weeden listed his occupation as a papermaker.    I have been confused by the people listing George Weeden, bapt 1806 as the son of George & Mary (Upton) Weeden.  I wonder if it may be because the George bapt 1812 was actually my George and since he moved to America they lost track of him and just assumed George born 1806 was the correct George?  Any additional information or thoughts on this would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 June 11 23:23 BST (UK) »
Are you sure that Louisa was his first wife?

Offline catgene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 June 11 00:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. It appears that Louisa was George Weeden's (born 1812) first wife.    Their son, George Henry Weeden, (born 1834; bapt 1836), is my great great grandfather.  His death record states that his parents were George & Louisa Weeden.   His younger brother, Robert Henry Weeden noted in his marriage record, that his parents were George Weeden and Louisa Singleton.     It appears that George & Louisa family may have moved around a bit.  After the baptisms of George Henry, Ellen Amelia & Emma Louisa Weeden at All Saints Church Maidstone in 1836, their next daughter Mary Ann (born 1839), stated in U. S. records that she was born in London.  I found what may be the births of two of the younger daughters on Ancestry's England & Wales Birth Index -  Louisa Weeden, born 1840 in Richmond, Surrey, England; and a Mary Harriet Sophia Weeden, born 1844 St. George, Southwark, Surrey, England.  The youngest son, Robert Henry (born 1846) noted that he was born in Wrexham(?) Wales.    Thank you!

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 June 11 07:22 BST (UK) »
Mary Harriett Sophia appears to belong to this family:

Mary Harriet Sophia WEEDON dau of William and Sophia Eliza bp Christchurch, Camberwell 3 Apr 1846 of Marlborough Road, Kent Road - gentleman (born 21 Nov 1844) together with Emma Margaret born 26 May 1843.

On the same date is Walter Weedon son of Benjamin and Sophia WILLIAMS (born 5 Dec 1840) with same address and occupation.

Also, Emma Margaret dau of William and Sophia Eliza WEEDON of High Street, clerk  baptised 14 Oct 1843 St Mary Newington, Surrey (born 26 May 1843) PB (private baptism).

Clara Caroline WEEDON bp 21 Dec 1846 Christchurch, Camberwell dau of William and Sophia Eliza of Marlborough Cottages, Old Kent Road - gentleman.  Born 7 Nov 1846.

William WEEDON the younger, ba minor, writing clerk m Sophia Eliza WILLIAMS sp dau of Thomas Smith WILLIAMS gent at St Mary, Marylebone 2 Apr 1842.  By license and with the consent of William WEEDON (coach proprietor?) the lawful and natural father of William WEEDON.  Wit:  Christopher LEESDALE and ........MASON.

Just listing here to get a picture of the family ..................

1841 - Mortlake, Surrey

Louisa WEEDEN 25 not born in Surrey
George 7 not born in Surrey
Ellenor 5 not  born in Surrey
Emma 5 not born in Surrey
Mary 3 not born in Surrey
Louisa 6m born Surrey

HO107/1062 book 2 folio 31 page 17

Maidstone baptisms http://www.familysearch.org with parents George and Louisa
George Henry 7 Feb 1836
Ellen Amelia 7 Feb 1836
Emma Louisa 7 Feb 1836

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com possible birth for Louisa WEEDON born 1840 Richmond Surrey registration district.

I can't see anything that looks like a marriage for George and Louisa as yet :-\

Casalguidi :)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline catgene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 June 11 15:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information on Mary Harriett Sophia Weeden, I can at least discount her!   The Louisa Weeden, born 1840 in Richmond may be promising as I found some Singleton/Shingleton's in the LDS St. Mary Magdalen records.

I am thinking that the George Weeden (born 1812), may be this George in the 1841 census:

1841 St. George Hanover Square, Belgrave, City of Westminster, Middlesex Co., England. Eccleston Street,   District 15, page 33,
George Weeden, age 30, occupation: M.S.??, not born in same county

I checked the 1841 census for all George Weeden's and this was the only one that seems to fit since he was not living with his wife Louisa and children in Maidstone at the time of the census.  I don't know what M. S. means for occupation, unless I am not reading the writing correctly.