Author Topic: Charles WEEDEN and Sophia HILL  (Read 7364 times)

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles WEEDEN and Sophia HILL
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 June 11 15:39 BST (UK) »
M.S. usually means male servant.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline catgene

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 02:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information on what M. S. means.  That is helpful!

Offline Brendon S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 March 12 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Casalguidi has given a good summary of MY Weeden family;-

"Mary Harriett Sophia appears to belong to this family:

Mary Harriet Sophia WEEDON dau of William and Sophia Eliza bp Christchurch, Camberwell 3 Apr 1846 of Marlborough Road, Kent Road - gentleman (born 21 Nov 1844) together with Emma Margaret born 26 May 1843.

On the same date is Walter Weedon son of Benjamin and Sophia WILLIAMS (born 5 Dec 1840) with same address and occupation.

Also, Emma Margaret dau of William and Sophia Eliza WEEDON of High Street, clerk  baptised 14 Oct 1843 St Mary Newington, Surrey (born 26 May 1843) PB (private baptism).

Clara Caroline WEEDON bp 21 Dec 1846 Christchurch, Camberwell dau of William and Sophia Eliza of Marlborough Cottages, Old Kent Road - gentleman.  Born 7 Nov 1846.

William WEEDON the younger, ba minor, writing clerk m Sophia Eliza WILLIAMS sp dau of Thomas Smith WILLIAMS gent at St Mary, Marylebone 2 Apr 1842.  By license and with the consent of William WEEDON (coach proprietor?) the lawful and natural father of William WEEDON.  Wit:  Christopher LEESDALE and ........MASON"

I am descended from Emma Margaret, but my Weeden line has been difficult to research and there are many mysteries. The Walter Weeden recorded above is a total mystery to me I have found no other record of him. The same for Clara Caroline, they both disappear from existence.

I am also stuck on the origins of the senior William Weeden. The only indication of age is from the 1841 census, so fairly vague.

William Weeden (Weedon)  born around the 1780-86 in England.
Married Sarah ?? , born around 1776-81, and had two children that we know of;-

3 MAY 1820; baptized in Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire.
Jemima Thomasina, daughter of William and Sarah WEEDON.
Parents abode;- Sysonby in this Parish.
Fathers trade- Groom.

3 July 1823. baptized Tardebigge Worchestershire.
William, son of William and Sarah WEEDEN. [parents abode]- Tutnell. Tardebigg, Worcestershire, England [Fathers profession]- Master of the Earl of Plymouth's stables.

Both these children married in Middlesex, William in 1842 and Jemima in 1851. On both marriage records the fathers profession is listed as "Coach Proprietor" .

I have identified 6 possible marriages of a William Weeden to a Sarah in England. But have now found some reason to eliminate them all but one, that is the marriage of a William Weden to a Sarah Bradley in Aldenheim Hertfordshire on 30 Apr 1808. But I need more to prove the link.

Any suggestions?

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 March 12 15:19 GMT (UK) »
I see from one of your other posts that they were in Brighton 1841:

1841 Census lists them in Brighton.
Western Road Brighton.
William Weeden age 55, Coach Proprietor, not born in Sussex
Sarah Weeden age 50, not born in Sussex.
William Weeden, age 15, Clerk. Not born in Sussex.

Cannot find any of them (except Jemima, now surnamed Bryant) in the 1851 census.

I'm having trouble finding any of them in the 1851 census too.  Do you know when some of the family went to New Zealand?  Did William junior with wife Sophia Eliza go with their children do you know?

The Walter Weeden recorded above is a total mystery to me I have found no other record of him

Walter Weedon WILLIAMS went to Australia ............. he married in Victoria 1860 as far as I can make out.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brendon S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 March 12 05:06 GMT (UK) »
Always happy to discuss my ancestors.

Yes, that is the 1841 census details.

My Weeden family came out to Australia firstly, then later to NZ, so Walter being in Australia fits in.
I suspect that they are the Mr, Mrs Weedon and 3 children that sailed on the ship Resolute from Plymouth to Sydney 9 Nov 1852 to 21 March 1853.
Also on 15 Dec 1855 Mrs Sophia Weeden and 2 daughters sailed from Sydney to Melbourne.

They had another son in Australia.

When and where born;-      19 May 1857, Woolshed Creek.
Name;-                     William John.
Sex;-               Male.
FATHER-Name and Profession.   William WEEDEN, Miner.
Age and birth place.         36 years. Worcestershire England.
When & where married.      April 1842. London.
Issue living.            3 living.
MOTHER-Maiden name.      Sophia Eliza WILLIAMS.
Age and birthplace.         36 years. Southwark, England.
INFORMANT.                 William WEEDEN.
WITNESS.                    Dr BECKETT.

I also dont know what happened to this William Weeden but assume he died.

They then came to NZ

The Lyttelton Times: May 26. 1858.
   SHIPPING NEWS.;
   May 23rd, brig Mary Clarke, 170 tons, wood, from Sydney, 7th instant. Passengers, Mrs Peacock, Mrs Garrick, child and servant, Mrs Buchanan, Mr Weeden, Mrs Weeden, and two daughters.

And had another son.

WEEDEN    William Thomas George
      Born September 27th 1859
      Baptised December 8th 1859
      Residence-     Lyttleton
      Parents -    William and Sophia Eliza
      Occupation-   Accountant
      Sponsors -
         George Henry Tribe
         John Anderson
         Jane Tribe

Rev. Francis Knowles,   Assistant Curate.

I have quite a lot of information on them in NZ, where both Mary (Mae) Harriett Sophia and my ancestor Emma Margaret were married. I must follow up on Walter, perhaps Benjamin was a brother to Sophia Eliza..

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Charles WEEDEN and Sophia HILL
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 06:47 GMT (UK) »
I am currently researching the extended famiies of Charles WEEDEN and  Sophia HILL, but suspect my main focus is Sophia's ancestors.
I am investigating whether Sophia HILL's family is connected to the COOK/COOKE family of Maidstone.
This is due to the presence of Jacob WELLS at the WEEDEN household in 1851, the census entry has his age and name incorrectly interpreted. No coincidence that Jacob was a papermaker. (Connecred postings exist for WELLS and COOK enquiries)
His wife Sophia COOKE baot in Loose 1804. To John and Ann COOKE.
I will be looking for anyone with a DNA test  with a paper trail  ancestry with Sophia HILL or her assumed parents William HILL and Ann.

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
George WEEDEN's wife Louisa
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 21:14 GMT (UK) »
"Their son, George Henry Weeden, (born 1834; bapt 1836), is my great great grandfather.  His death record states that his parents were George & Louisa Weeden.   His younger brother, Robert Henry Weeden noted in his marriage record, that his parents were George Weeden and Louisa Singleton. "
Robert Henry's birth registration details his mother as nee COOPER, as did Louusa his sister.
Sophia's birth registration not identified.