Author Topic: stanley cottage portgate  (Read 3765 times)

Offline sallylynne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
stanley cottage portgate
« on: Monday 26 July 10 06:44 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know of a 'Stanley Cottage" Portgate, Hexham?
I was originally looking for Stanley Cottage in Hexham, but re reading the death record I see it is
"Stanley Cottage" Portgate Hexham.
I have found a map online that shows Portgate as a crossing on the Roman Wall near Corbridge. There is a Stanley Plantation (forest) nearby as well.
My g grandfather was a gamekeeper and according to his father in law's obituary and death record
he lived at this cottage.
I am wondering if anyone who lives in that area might know more about the cottage and where a gamekeeper in 1895 might be working. Would also love a photo of the cottage if it still exists.
Sallylynne
HENDERSON - Bellingham/Hexham/Allendale/Birtley
BROWN - Bellingham/Simonburn/Lanercost CUL/
NOBLE - Morpeth/Longhirst
GIBSON - Elsdon/Warden
FERGUSON - St. John Lee
MARTIN - Haltwhistle/
SNOWDEN - Haltwhistle/
HOOD - Scotland
CALVERT - Lanercost CUL
NIXON - Bewcastle CUL
FORRESTER - Stapleton,Lanercost CUL
COCKWELL - DEV
SQUARE - DEV
CROSS - DEV
BORN - DEV
YORKE - Cambridgeshire/Sussex

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: stanley cottage portgate
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 July 10 09:04 BST (UK) »
Stanley Cottages still exist.

Go to http://gis.durham.gov.uk/website/intermap/viewer.htm

Click on 'search' (top of the page).
Then select 'coordinates' - a new page will open.
In the bottom two boxes enter 397648 and 568441, and click 'centre map'.
You should then get a present-day map centred on Stanley Cottages.
You can zoom in and out by clicking on the '+' and '-' buttons at the bottom of the page and then clicking on the map.
You can look at older maps of the same area by using the drop down menu at the bottom of the page.

There are two photos of the cottages on Geograph  http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=14185736

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sallylynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 01:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the quick reply....
I am very pleased with the photo.
Sallylynne
GIBSON - Elsdon/Warden
FERGUSON - St. John Lee
MARTIN - Haltwhistle/
SNOWDEN - Haltwhistle/
HOOD - Scotland
CALVERT - Lanercost CUL
NIXON - Bewcastle CUL
FORRESTER - Stapleton,Lanercost CUL
COCKWELL - DEV
SQUARE - DEV
CROSS - DEV
BORN - DEV
YORKE - Cambridgeshire/Sussex

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 21:07 BST (UK) »
The name comes from the owner of the Beaufront Castle estate, Sir John Stanley Errington a nephew of the last true Errington of Beaufront who died in 1819. He assumed the latter name when he succeeded his elder brother Sir Rowland Stanley Errington in 1875. Sir John died in 1893 at Sandhoe Hall having sold the old castle at Beaufront to Wm Cuthbert ancester of the present owner.
In 1895 the Portgate farm and most of the rest of the estate would have been in the possession of  more nephews of the family of Fermor of Tusmore Oxfordshire, who seem to have lived mostly in continental resorts and slowly sold most of it.
I guess your man would have been the resident gamekeeper for the estate, responsible to whoever was residing in Sandhoe Hall and busy fending off poaching lead and coal miners from Acomb and Fallowfield.
Peter

Offline vivelafrance

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 August 11 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hello there!  I realise this is a very old post - but I've just come across it and wanted to let you know that I live at East Stanley Cottage, Portgate!  I am researching the history of the house and the immediate area and would be very interested to hear more about your grandfather - his name and dates, who he worked for, the period of time he lived here, if you know it.  And anything else you think might be of interest.  Many thanks.  Do let me know if there's anything you'd like to know about the place too.

Offline sallylynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 February 16 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I seem to have missed your reply re: Stanley Cottage some time ago.
My gr. grandfather James Noble died 12 Mar 1895 at Stanley Cottage, while with his daughter and son in law, William and  Eleanor Henderson. James Noble is buried at Longhirst. His death notice in the Morpeth Herald and Reporter Sat. Mar 16 pg. 8 says:

" At Hexham Stanley Cottage (at the home of his son in law, William Henderson) 12th inst.. in his 81st year, Mr. James Noble. Upwards of 50 years a faithful and valued servant in the Lawson family of Longhirst Hall."

James Noble was a gardener at longhirst hall from 1841 through 1891?
William Henderson was a gamekeeper. The 1881 census shows him living at Thorneyhirst Cottage Birtley. The 1891 shows him at Old Sawmill House,  Gunnerton. The 1901 census has him at Whickhope Lodge, Wellhaugh Falstone as a gamekeeper. His wife Eleanor died 1902 while at Whickhope. He was there as well in 1911. William died 1928 retired at 86 years at Lanehead, Coanwood Lambley. I don't know how long he was at Stanley Cottage, or where he worked while there.
I contacted Beaufort Castle, the reply said that they had no record of him there, but if he worked at Whikhope any information would be in the archives of Alnwick Castle. I have not managed to justify though, the cost of that search.
Sorry my information is so scant.
Sallylynne
GIBSON - Elsdon/Warden
FERGUSON - St. John Lee
MARTIN - Haltwhistle/
SNOWDEN - Haltwhistle/
HOOD - Scotland
CALVERT - Lanercost CUL
NIXON - Bewcastle CUL