Author Topic: Ancestors of Robert Falconer born 1827 in Lanark, Scotland.  (Read 4873 times)

Offline Wilmac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors of Robert Falconer born 1827 in Lanark, Scotland.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole,

I'd gone to bed last night when your message came through about Robert and Janet having moved to the Greenock district.

This is great to know and as you said, it should narrow the search for his death certificate.  I'll keep trying and let you know how I get on.

Many thanks,

Wilma.

Offline Wilmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Falkyrn,

Thanks very much for all the info you sent me. I appreciate it very much.

Kindest regards,

Wilma.

Offline Wilmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi  Carole and Falkyrn.
I  don't know where I am now and need your help so much. Carole,  I managed to get Robert's death certificate as you advised me. According to the certificate, he died aged 77 at Greenock on 28th. Jan 1907 and his parents are stated as being = father = Robert Anderson Falconer and
mother Janet Anderson. Robert's full name on the certificate is listed as Robert Anderson Falconer too
The death was recorded by son George who appears in the census lists.

The mother, Janet Falconer(nee Porteous) died 11th May 1918 aged 88 and her parents are listed as James Porteous and Janet Crawford not George Porteous and Janet Scouler as I previously had a note of.

According to this info. now I think it must have been another Robert Falconer who was born in 1827 as this Robert Falconer must have been born about 1929 or 1930 and Janet Porteous must have been born around these years too.  What do you think? Hope you can help me a bit.  I'd be so grateful.  Wilma.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 22:27 BST (UK) »
The information on the death record is unfortunately only as good as the knowledge of the person supplying it. It's possible that George did not know his grandparents details but "had a guess" - the same may be true of the ages.

The best move would be to confirm what you definitely do know and work out from there.

For example, you said that you are descended from Williamina Falconer - if you confirm the details you have for "your" Williamina you can  work  outwards from there - if they match the details we have found for Williamina Falconer daughter of Robert & Janet then the odds are that the rest of the information here regarding the family is also fairly accurate. If the two Williamina's don't match then we must start again.

Offline Wilmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Falkyrn,

It was actually the son George Crawford Falconer who recorded the death at Greenock. I should have stated this more clearly but as I say everything seems such a mix-up. George is on the census lists as being born 23rd. February, 1870 so I imagine he would have the details of his grandparents from his father's birth certificate.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 22:48 BST (UK) »
This is now rather a problem as there is nothing on the IGI for:

A marriage between Robert Falconer and Janet Anderson or any children born to them

A marriage between James Porteous and Janet Crawford or any children born to them

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Wilmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 23:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol

Everything seems to be more complicated now but I'll keep trying to see if I can find any more information on these marriages. It seems so strange that there's no record of them.  If I do make any headway I'll let you know.

Thanks again for all your help , Carole.

Wilma.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 12 August 10 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Falkyrn,

It was actually the son George Crawford Falconer who recorded the death at Greenock. I should have stated this more clearly but as I say everything seems such a mix-up. George is on the census lists as being born 23rd. February, 1870 so I imagine he would have the details of his grandparents from his father's birth certificate.

Given that his father was born circa 1827 there would have been no Birth Certificate for George to get the details (Civil Registration did not start in Scotland until 1855)