Author Topic: Mayberry - general help please  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Sterge

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mayberry - general help please
« on: Tuesday 27 July 10 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hello to all

I have been researching my family on and off for 5 years now and I have managed to compile a fairly extensive family tree despite being far from expert in these matters! I have reached what seems to be a dead end with my maternal Grandfather's family - Mayberry. The family appears to have emigrated from Ballygarry, Dunluce Co. Antrim in Northern Ireland to Glasgow around 1900 (I have located them on the 1901 Scotland census) however I have been unable to find any record of the deaths of three of them - John Mayberry (GGGF- approx. 1840 to sometime before 1901), Margaret (Maize) Mayberry (GGGM - approx. 1840 to sometime after 1901) and Mary Ann (Faulds) Mayberry (GGM - approx. 1869 to sometime between 1903 and 1933).
I have registrations of deaths in Scotland for another five members of the family but these date from the 1930s onwards, apart from two Great Uncles who were casualties of the First World War. There is no sign of them having returned to Ireland and dying there. The question I have is this; would there be some reason that these deaths would not be registered in Scotland, perhaps because of their status as recent immigrants or could there be another possible reason? The names are slightly unusual so I haven't had many records to check on the Scotland's People and GRONI websites and I'm fairly sure they aren't there. I've looked at other avenues such as MIs without success.
I'd be very grateful for any assistance anyone could give with this.