Author Topic: An Abingdon mystery - ideas please  (Read 4023 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: An Abingdon mystery - ideas please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 July 10 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

No, Thame is on the River Thame (I said it was confusing, didn't I!).  The Thame is a tributary of the Thames, joining it near Dorchester.  Whether it was navigable back in the day, I have no idea.  ???
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 July 10 23:46 BST (UK) »
There are a number of fairly famous paintings of people boating on the Thame usuall y just up stream from the bridge beyongd which it joins tha Thames.  The backdrop of the bridge seems to have attracted artists.

However the boats seem to be punts or skiffs and so of shallow draft.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 July 10 19:09 BST (UK) »
You are over a century too early for the railways; however, there were a lot of turnpike roads constructed in the 18th century so that is worth a look, also, there was the widespread digging of the canal system, possibly more likely.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline parryshill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 July 10 14:22 BST (UK) »
You would definately have been able to get from Abingdon to Thame, via Dorchester on the water.  ;)

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 August 10 07:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the replys - much food for thought there.  It is interesting that the river Thame was navigable to Abingdon at that time Parryshill,  I hadn't realised that,  I think I shall invest in the Thame register transcripts from OFHS and study them in more detail.

:)

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 August 10 09:58 BST (UK) »
Naigation of the Thames in those days must have been an interesting experience.  There were weirs and water mills mostly where the locks are today.  However the locks were all flash locks.  (to be compared with flashfloods)

These consisted of a series of vertical planks which were withdrawn to allow boats to pass.  Fairly easy going down stream but a nightmare to drag a boat through going upstream.  In addition the millers were very reluctant to open their locks and lose the head of water which drove their water wheels.  It must have been a tough job being a navigator.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk