Author Topic: William FISK, c1786, Badingham  (Read 4173 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: William FISK, c1786, Badingham
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 April 22 09:01 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Jason Jase.

As I posted that info in 2010 I will try and help you.

It looks to me that by 1851 William has remarried?

Wm Fortt   55
Ruth Fortt   53
Emma Fortt 24
James Fortt 17
Emily Fortt 13
Sophia Fisle 45 neice, unm, born Rendlesham, Suffolk********** (Fisk/e on image)
Mary Bucknell 23
Ann Jones   22
Mary Grist   20

Bapts of children are on FreeREG to William/Mary the last being Emily Victoria bapt 24 May 1837
Frederic 1819/Eliza 1821/Robert 1824/Emma Elizabeth 1826/Mary Anne 1828 as Forth/William 1831/James 1833/John 1837 (born 1835)

Mary Anne was buried 02 Oct 1831 age 2 years 9 mths, abode same address as some bapts.

Death Reg;

FORST, MARY age 51 
GRO Reference: 1846  J Quarter in BATH  Volume 11  Page 5

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 April 22 09:44 BST (UK) »
The Sophia Fisk born c 1806/8 Rendlesham may be the key to Marys Parents.

Although I cant find anything conclusive for her with my resources.
Sophia is with Emma/William/Emily in 1861

Maybe someone else can help?

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 April 22 09:51 BST (UK) »
Ok living next door to William/Mary Fortt in 1841 are;

Sophia FISK, 25
Francis Fisk, 60, Confectioner
Both not born in Somerset.

Mary Fortt is not born in County either in 1841 as you likely know

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 April 22 10:20 BST (UK) »
So we need to find;
Bapt for Sophia, hopefully with Father Francis.
Possible Will for Francis and/or Sophia.
Bapt for Francis with hopefully a Sister Mary born c 1796?

Offline Jason Jase

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 April 22 15:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply (I know it is a post from a while back) no one has cracked this brickwall in the last 12 years since you posted the comment. None of the genealogy sites or +40 family trees that have Marry Fortt nee Fisk know her parents or exact details. The UK Fisk / Fiske web site has her birth year as 17-- and parents unknown.   

An interesting fact that took me months to clear up is

what you said here

"It looks to me that by 1851 William has remarried?
Wm Fortt   55
Ruth Fortt   53"

William Fortt and Ruth Fisk nee James married 29 Sep 1847  in Ardleigh, Essex, England

Many people were posting on their tree that Ruth was born Fisk which was not true and caused a lot of research to unpack. Some people posted that Ruth was the mother of the Fortt Children which also wasn't true.

All William Fortt's Children were born to Marry Fortt nee Fisk
Ruth James / Fisk / Fortt had three children (one may have died young) with Thomas Samuel Fisk born About 1791 in Orsett, Essex, England and died by suicide in Oct 1843 Paglesham, Essex, England.
I feel like Thomas Samuel Fisk is likely Marry Fortt nee Fisk's cousin, brother or something although I don't know. I think more likely a cousin.

the "James Fortt 17" mentioned is my 2nd great grandfather.

Offline Jason Jase

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 April 22 16:07 BST (UK) »
Ok living next door to William/Mary Fortt in 1841 are;

Sophia FISK, 25
Francis Fisk, 60, Confectioner
Both not born in Somerset.

Mary Fortt is not born in County either in 1841 as you likely know

So William Fortt, Mary Fisk's husband was also a Confectioner and had a company Fortt and Son's (which later combined into a very large company in somerset Cater, Stoffell & Fortt Ltd.)
Possibly William Fortt and Francis Fortt worked together in some fashion but who knows?

Sophia Fisk was mentioned as Ruth Fisk nee James niece being at her wedding to William Fortt.
my theory is this is the same Sophia Fisk. (from https://www.fiskes.co.uk/ )
I my theory is

Marry Fortt nee Fisk is said to be from Watchet, Somerset, England born about 1795 / 1796 yet I don't have any record of that or know how people came to that conclusion  ???

Francis Fisk would of been born about 1781 which would make him 15 or so when Mary Fisk was born so it is possible that he is the father or Marry. Some people post a William Fisk as Mary Fisk's Father with zero evidence records or hints to that being true which is rather frustrating. I have removed William Fisk from my tree. The search continues...