Author Topic: Cooper family  (Read 15999 times)

Offline Madrabbit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cooper family
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 July 10 08:07 BST (UK) »
Shane, William (my Great Grandfather) was Church of Ireland, born Kerdiffstown, parish of Kill on 20/2/1855, his wife Annie Buglass was a Scottish Catholic. He had an older brother Charles born 10/5/1852 (with the same details). We are waiting for William's death certificate. His father Charles died in Ohio and on his epitaph it just gives his birth year as 1802 and as we have no actual date it has been difficult to get his birth or baptism details although I have found a baptism record for a Charles Cooper of Tinnahinch, Castle Macadam, Church of Ireland dated 13/1/1803 but the mother's name doesn't match to what I have found out so far, this is why I need help. My Dad's insisting it is all right (he is a Proffessor of History and never likes to think he is wrong  ;D) but I'm not so sure.

Thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 30 July 10 08:15 BST (UK) »
do you believe Charles (1802) was born in the parish of Kill also ?

It looks like CofI baptism records for the parish only go back to 1814, marriages to 1820

p.s. parish of Castlemacadam is Co. Wicklow

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 30 July 10 08:40 BST (UK) »
I've had a feeling that they were quite a prominent family but unfortunately I have no real evidence to support this other than my Great Grandfather was apparently very well educated (another family rumour, hence no evidence), also I've discovered his father wasn't just a lowly ploughman he was actually a steward.
It's not wise to make assumptions like this. Firstly, ploughman was a skilled job and certainly not in the class of farm labourer as you infer. A good ploughman would have been in great demand and could easily have supported his family well. Secondly, education was not just a matter of money. Boys, mainly, could have been sent to local clergy or tutors for instructions in Latin, Greek, Hebrew, mathematics, etc. For very clever boys there were scholarships at some schools.Boys, and girls, could become school monitors (a sort of student teacher) and then gone on to teacher training classes. Education was as much, if not more about ability and opportunity, than family circumstances.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 30 July 10 11:44 BST (UK) »
I see someone has put the same family on the IGI with 8 children all born Dublin between 1837 and 1851 with the exception of one who is stated to be born Ireland, Wiltshire, England wherever that might be. There is a Charles born 1851 and and an earlier born William so he must have died if this is your family.

Good luck,

J.T.A.

Offline Madrabbit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 31 July 10 09:58 BST (UK) »
I think I need to explain some stuff here. I'm getting a lot of this info from my Dad and am doing my best to clarify it. Dad has leaukaemia and gets very tired and confused, I've had the same conversation about Charles born c 1802 three times in the past 2 days. If the info he has given me doesn't fit together then I need to find where it's gone wrong. As I've said before the Scottish side (Annie Buglass, my Great Grandmother) was very easy and Dad seems to think that Ireland will be the same. This is why I'm wanting to start again. I'm going to have to go through it all again and again until I am happy with it.

I will post again if I get really stuck.

Thanks for all the help  :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 31 July 10 10:03 BST (UK) »
when you get the details together, I think it's a good idea to then go back one step at at time from the beginning - e.g. find the location (parish etc), find the marriage and baptisms, then go back to the next generation. It's very easy to end up with a false trail if you jump to far (in time or location) without proof - and you could easily end up following a different Cooper family by mistake.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 31 July 10 11:26 BST (UK) »
Kildare Genealogy On-line has a William Cooper baptised Naas C of I  in 1855:

father's name, Charles:
mother's name, Bridget:
mother's surname, not Stacey

but you need to pay for the rest which costs 5 euro by card payment with an instant transcript from the church record.

Naas is not far from Newbridge so if you can positively identify your ancestor as the William born Newbridge in the 1901 census this has a strong possibility of being the right person.

Good luck,

J.T.A.

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 31 July 10 13:16 BST (UK) »
What looks to be the same family has a son Charles born 1852 in the C of I parish of Kill. Father's name Charles mother's name Bridget. You can get the two transcripts from the original records for 8 euro.  These are primary sources, not trash.

J.T.A.

Offline Madrabbit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 31 July 10 19:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that guys, I know that these two were brothers. My Grandad used to talk about an uncle Charlie to my Dad and the recrds are so similar it would be such a coincidence if they were not related. Got lots to do, thanks for the good luck wishes and I will hopefully be able to post soon when I can clarify it all

:)