Author Topic: Cooper family  (Read 15930 times)

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cooper family
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 31 July 10 20:20 BST (UK) »
But you must bear in mind that the mother of these two boys (Charles and William) does not have the surname Stacey, though perhaps the baptismal entry doesn't include a mother's surname which could complicate things.

J.T.A.

Offline Madrabbit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 01 August 10 10:02 BST (UK) »
No neither baptism record for the boys mention her surname. I put in the details I had for their father into a Marriage search and the only record I could find that would make the mother of child bearing age was the marriage of a Charles Cooper and Bedelia Bridget Stacey but I know this doesn't make it right by any means.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 01 August 10 10:06 BST (UK) »
Church of Ireland baptisms from this timeframe do not usually include mother's maiden name.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 01 August 10 10:40 BST (UK) »
I can see a lot of inconsistencies in the submitted information available. One has exactly the same baptismal day as yours for Charles (10th May) but born Dublin either 1851 or 1853. Also, the 1880 US Census transcript has Adelia (sic) born Ireland and both her parents born Ireland.

You say that William was born Kerdiffstown and Charles has the same details, but not from where I'm looking. Kerdiffstown is is a tiny civil parish of it's own consisting of only one townland of the same name situated by the Grand Canal within the C of I parish of Naas, whereas the Index for Kidare Genealogy has Charles baptised in the C of I parish of Kill.

Can you clarify where the two boys where born and baptised and were the sponsors included which might give a clue to the extended family.

J.T.A.

Offline Madrabbit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 01 August 10 16:29 BST (UK) »
I may be clutching at straws here but I'm trying to find as many trusted records as possible. When my Great Grandfather emmigrated to England he joined the Met police as a constable. I have emailed the Garda archive office to see if his career started before he left Ireland. I have no idea what details they would have about him but am led to understand that even in the early days of the police force they may have asked for details about his family. If nothing arises I may have to bite the bullett and pay the £65 the Met want to search for his record in London.
Has anyone had dealings with police records in Ireland and if so, what information can I reasonably expect to find out?
Thanks

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 01 August 10 18:03 BST (UK) »
Have you been in touch with the person who submitted the family of Charles Cooper and Bedelia Stacey on Ancestry File as the name and address is there, but clearly that information does not match yours. The William in that family (William Harry) was born Dublin 1846 and died Ohio April 1911 but your William was still in London in 1911. Also, the youngest child in that family was Thomas born 1857 in the US just two years after your William was born in Kildare and the 1880 census lists them as Cowper, as does the the IGI.

J.T.a.

Offline Madrabbit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 01 August 10 18:22 BST (UK) »
That can't be them then, if I'm honest. My Great Grandmother was so easy as on Genes Reunited I found a third cousin of my father's who had already done a bit of the research and I took it up from there. I'd rather start with whatever I can garner about my Great Grandfather and go from by what I can find in trusted sources, we have managed to get a picture of him from the Canal Authority in London and he looks so much like my Dad it's spooky, they have the same potbelly and even the same style moustache  ;D

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 01 August 10 18:51 BST (UK) »
I still think that in spite of what you've said you are jumping to conclusions trying to fit all these Coopers into your family tree. The tree mentioned by J.T. Arthur is submitted and may not be correct either but it would certainly be worth contactin ghat person. Perhaps by now they've found more information which doesn't appear on the tree or have details about your family which they've come across but not posted there.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 01 August 10 19:04 BST (UK) »
Where does the London Canal Authority come into it? This could be the connection, as it would appear from what you have already said that at least one of the Cooper boys was born on the banks of the Grand Canal where many were employed.

J.T.A.