Author Topic: Cooper family  (Read 15917 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Cooper family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 17:04 BST (UK) »
you will need to establish parishes (and religion) for these baptisms to investigate if the appropriate records exist.

I think this was mentioned on the other post - but many Dublin city records are available at www.irishgenealogy.ie 

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Madrabbit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi guys, I think I've made a mistake somewhere. There's two of us doing this and neither of us have double checked Charles Cooper's birthdate (married to Bedelia Stacey). If my suspicions are correct then we have the wrong line before him. Will have to go through everything with a fine toothed comb and see what I can find.

Sorry

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 17:57 BST (UK) »
Bedelia is a variant of Bridget which makes me wonder if "Bedelia Bridget Stacey" is actually her name.
I would also be concerned over the idea that they kept changing their religion back and forth so much as mentioned in your Dublin thread.
From what you've posted so far I wonder if you haven't been making too many assumptions all along without having proof of the links. It is a bit unusual, although not impossible, to be able to trace most Irish families back so far before the start of civil registration unless they were gentry or extremely prominent.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Madrabbit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 July 10 07:42 BST (UK) »
I've double (triple) checked Bedelia and that was indeed her name, I suppose it's no different from a man being called Sean John or other variations of the same name. Bedelia was born in North Petherton, Somerset, but with her name I am wondering if her family was from Ireland originally. As for the changes in religion, Roots Ireland have them listed as Church of Ireland  whereas others that we've looked at list some of them as Catholic, hence the confusion, but I think Roots Ireland is probably the most reliable.

I've got to got to work but as soon as I can I will list them and add their addresses, parishes and denominations as soon as I can.

Thanks  :)

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 July 10 08:13 BST (UK) »
A Word of advise; If it looks wrong it probably is wrong. Unless you can find the source of this information and verify it yourself ignore it and stick to what you know do to be correct, then let us know where you are at based on facts.

Sadly the internet is full of regurgitated trash.

Good luck,

J.T.A.

Offline Madrabbit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 July 10 18:25 BST (UK) »
Ok, this is what I have been able to find out:

William Cooper, born/baptised 31/10.1742. Eadstown, parish/district Donaghmore. Church of Ireland. Father Charles Cooper, Mother Mary Cooper.
(father of)

William Cooper, born/baptised 29/7/1763. Sraghmore, parish/district Castle Macadam. Church of Ireland. Mother Ellenor.
(father of)

Charles Cooper (very few details about him. My dad remembers my Grandfather talking about him and Bedelia who was known as both Delia and Bridget to the family. They are both buried in Ohio USA)
(father of)

William Cooper, born/baptised 20/2/1855. This is my Great Grandfather. The census he is listed under in England gave his origin as Newbridge, Co Kildare although he always said he was from Dublin  ::). It is William who is said to have murdered my Great Grandmother Annie Buglass but we have no evidence to support this and it appears William died in hospital rather than being hung.

Thanks guys x

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 July 10 19:36 BST (UK) »
Was the Charles Cooper born 1852 also born in Kildare as if that was the case you would expect his father to be listed in GV, but all the Coopers of Kildare appear to have been quite wealthy which does not match an occupation of ploughman, yet all the other information you give suggests a wealthy family background.

These two pieces of information simply do not match unless perhaps the ploughman was disowned and lost his inheritance for marrying a Catholic?.

Echos of the the famous O'Connor of Ballingare who after the confiscation of his estate said to his son "I am the son of a Lord and you are the son of a ploughman".

J.T.A.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 July 10 19:41 BST (UK) »

William Cooper, born/baptised 31/10.1742. Eadstown....
 (father of)

William Cooper, born/baptised 29/7/1763. Sraghmore.....
(father of)

Charles Cooper (very few details about him.....
(father of)

William Cooper, born/baptised 20/2/1855. This is my Great Grandfather. The census he is listed under in England gave his origin as Newbridge, Co Kildare although he always said he was from Dublin

question ... how do you have such an 'exact' date of birth for William 1855 and yet you dont know where he was born, and presumably dont have his baptism ?

Following on from that, how could you have verified details on his father, or  earlier generations ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Madrabbit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 July 10 07:56 BST (UK) »
J T A, I've had a feeling that they were quite a prominent family but unfortunately I have no real evidence to support this other than my Great Grandfather was apparently very well educated (another family rumour, hence no evidence), also I've discovered his father wasn't just a lowly ploughman he was actually a steward. My Dad's friend in the USA is trying to trace them for us to see how well they lived after their emmigration. Me thinks they were perhaps better off than they would have people believe! (especially the tax man). My Dad remembers living in a 12 bedroom house that my Grandfather owned but he sold it (or lost it somehow) when my Dad was still very young.

Whilst Charles, Bedelia and their oldest son Charles left for Ohio (presumably with most of the family wealth), my Great Grandfather moved to England and his first occupation is as a policeman. We are struggling to find his service record for the Met as they want £65 just to search the records  :o