Author Topic: Anyone ever look up "Qualifying Papers"??  (Read 3568 times)

Offline amazon510

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone ever look up "Qualifying Papers"??
« on: Thursday 29 July 10 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just finished reading "Jersey in the 18th and 19th Centuries" by A. C. Saunders.  On p. 178 I read the following

"In those days it was difficult for a Jerseyman to leave the Island without the qualifying papers, and, before the governor would grant the necessary permit, a certificate, duly sworn before a Notary Public had to be produced, signed by the Rector and Churchwardens of the Parish where the applicant had formerly resided."

The next paragraph gives an example of such a permit.

Has anyone ever looked up these permits or certificates?  This seems like a potential gold mine of genealogical material, especially for anyone tracing Jersey emigrants.  Has anyone ever heard of this?  Is there an index maybe?

Thanks,

Jennifer.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone ever look up "Qualifying Papers"??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 July 10 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer

I have to admit I have never come across such papers, so I showed your posting the the Head Archivist at the Archive Centre. She had never heard of such documents and we both agreed that to issue such documents would be a  nightmare bearing in mind the number of people who left the island to fish and settle in Canada around this time.

I have had a look at the book and would put a slightly different interpretation. The chapter is dealing with people who act as agents for local people with overseas interests, allowing them to act on their behalf. I would say the papers are more like letters of authority.

I see that the chapter starts by saying the list was donated to the Societe Jersiaise, so when the librarian returns from illness I will see if I can have a look.

Stewart

Offline amazon510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone ever look up "Qualifying Papers"??
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 July 10 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

Thanks for checking this out with the archivist.  Your interpretation does make more sense, it would be pretty difficult to make sure everyone who left the island had some sort of permit.  However I will be very interested to hear what the librarian at the Societie Jersiaise has to say.  Thanks for checking into this.

Jennifer.