Author Topic: AITKEN Kirkmichael, JOhnstone and Dunscore  (Read 2378 times)

Offline Josh P

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
AITKEN Kirkmichael, JOhnstone and Dunscore
« on: Thursday 29 July 10 08:15 BST (UK) »
Researching the AITKEN family of Kirkmichael, Dumfries.

Thomas AITKEN and Isabella (GLOVER) had 11 children between 1772 and 1790.  Their 7th, Robert (1783-1844) married Isabella KIRK (1778-1852?) and had three children at Johnstone, Thomas who went to Ontario, Robert and Jane (c1824-c1910) who married Herbert DRYDEN of Lochmaben.

It would seem that before her marriage, Jane had an illegitimate child, John AITKEN (born c1843 Johnstone), who married Helen, had nine children, and became the Dominee, or Master, of Glenesslin School, Dunscore, until at least 1901.

The family tale insists that these AITKENs were related to the mother of Thomas CARLYLE.  Does anyone have any connections to or knowledge of them?  And how do I get access to the Kirkmichael and Johnstone parish registers?

Many thanks.

Offline ParkAMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: AITKEN Kirkmichael, JOhnstone and Dunscore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Researching the AITKEN family of Kirkmichael, Dumfries.

Thomas AITKEN and Isabella (GLOVER) had 11 children between 1772 and 1790.  Their 7th, Robert (1783-1844) married Isabella KIRK (1778-1852?) and had three children at Johnstone, Thomas who went to Ontario, Robert and Jane (c1824-c1910) who married Herbert DRYDEN of Lochmaben.

It would seem that before her marriage, Jane had an illegitimate child, John AITKEN (born c1843 Johnstone), who married Helen, had nine children, and became the Dominee, or Master, of Glenesslin School, Dunscore, until at least 1901.

The family tale insists that these AITKENs were related to the mother of Thomas CARLYLE.  Does anyone have any connections to or knowledge of them?  And how do I get access to the Kirkmichael and Johnstone parish registers?

Many thanks.

Hello Josh P
Wow your information is exciting. My Great Grandmother is Isabella Kirk Dryden her father was Herbert Kennedy Dryden who married Jean Aitken in 1849. I am sorry I can't help with the links to the Carlyles but you have provided more information for me re the Aitkens thanks. Do you have any photographs relating to the Aitkens or Drydens?
Common family Dumfriesshire and Scottish Borders; Drydens of Lochmaben and surrounds; Smiths of Halfmorton, Dumfriesshire. Also Parks of Ayrshire; Lawrie (Lowrie; Laurie).

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 10:25 GMT (UK) »
www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk has the parish records for the following:

Johnstone B 1734 – 1854 -- M 1735 – 1740 & 1852 – 1854 – D 1818 – 1850

Kirkmichael B 1727 – 1854 – M one entry 1728 & one  1836 D X

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 10:33 GMT (UK) »
PS:

Dunscore B 1777 - 1823 & 1834 – 1846 -- M 1779 – 1797 & 1822 – 1846 -- D 1779 & 1822 - 1839

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ParkAMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Colin it is really photos I am looking for ta.
AP
Common family Dumfriesshire and Scottish Borders; Drydens of Lochmaben and surrounds; Smiths of Halfmorton, Dumfriesshire. Also Parks of Ayrshire; Lawrie (Lowrie; Laurie).

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 10:55 GMT (UK) »
My reply was to the initial post AP.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Carlyle, was born 1795 in Ecclefechan, Dumfriesshire, eldest child of James Carlyle, stonemason, and Margaret (Aitken). Margaret was likely born before 1780, nothing on SP in Dumfriesshire so with gaps in the records it will not be easy, especially as there are no records for Ecclefechan on SP.

Your Thomas who married Isabel below based on their children’s names.
AIKEN THOMAS   - JAMES AIKEN/NICOLAS HARKNES (NICHOLAIS)   07/09/1746 Kirkmichael

Thomas was the eldest of 4/5, Jean 1749 & James 1758 plus Isabella 1748 & 1756

Colin