Author Topic: What parts of Leicestershire are you connected with?  (Read 26090 times)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What parts of Leicestershire are you connected with?
« Reply #36 on: Friday 14 January 11 22:28 GMT (UK) »
up the Tigers!!

Diddy  ;D  BIg fan x x
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 15 January 11 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Foz

Holmfield was indeed my first school from 1950-56.

The spinney I and my mates used to use as an adventure play area was on the line of St. Mary's Avenue. Part is still there today (if Google Map is to be believed) but I can see that there is now development on both sides with a road running through it. It too use to have funny noises coming from it but probably mainly from older teenagers getting it off in the bushes! Great sport for us younger ones spying on them and trying not to giggle and give ourselves away!

Worthingtons as I recall was on the Hinckley Road. My mother used to take me as a child to a shop in a converted garage in one of the houses fronting Hinckley Rd. in the days of rationing. I think that I probably had my first sweets from there.

Up the Tigers indeed Diddymiller.

cheers

Offline Foz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 15 January 11 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi TonyV,

Yes, I remember the sweet shop in the converted garage.
Can't remember the name of the person who it belonged to though.

Do you remember the other little shop on the Hinckley Rd near Hobills Farm......was it called Lippitts?

Did you live on the Hinckley Road? 

Did you hear that Holmfield Avenue school closed down last summer?  There was a reunion but I didn't manage to get there.

Regards   Foz

Dunmall - Kent                        King - Berkshire
Kibble - Buckinghamshire         Greenough - Berkshire                           
Licence - Suffolk                      Andrew - Cornwall                       
Smith - Leicestershire              Chandler - Derby
Webb - Leicestershire        
Newstead - Suffolk
Marshall - Suffolk
Islington - Croydon
Freeman - Leicestershire & Ireland           
Bradbury - Coventry
Fothergill - Yorks

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 16 January 11 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Foz

Park Drive.

I don't remember the other shop but I do remember Hobill's farm.

I knew about the reunion but although I told my younger brother about it (he still lives in Leics. and attended Holmfield too) I didn't really fancy it. I live in Hampshire so it would have been a bit of a trek. Mr Basford was the head when I went there.

Small world.

regards
Tony

Offline Foz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 16 January 11 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony,

Yes, I know Park Drive.     
My Grandmother and Aunts lived in Holmfield Avenue in the house nearest to the Post Office.
You probably remember one of my Aunts, she was an invalid and used to sit in the garden outside
the front of their house in the summer in her invalid carriage.  Another one of my Aunts ran the Library.
I remember Mr Basford.....he was lovely.

Are you on Friendsreunited?  Have you seen all the school photos from Holmfield?

Foz

Webb - Leicestershire        
Newstead - Suffolk
Marshall - Suffolk
Islington - Croydon
Bradbury - Coventry
Fothergill - Yorks

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 16 January 11 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Foz

Sadly I don't recall your relatives but my mother used to fetch her pension from the post office until the pension service made all pensioners have accounts.

I have been on FR in the past but don't really use it these days. However, I'll see if I can get in and look at the pictures. Sounds interesting.

When were you at Holmfield?

Tony

Offline Foz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 16 January 11 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony,

I was at Holmfield from about 1951 till 1957, then I went to Anstey Martin School.
My brother is older than me, and brainier!! He must have been there around 1942 till 1948. He then went on to Wigston Grammer School.
I don't want to mention any names on here, but does your surname have four letters in it?
In the back of my mind I remember my brother used to talk about someone he knew from down your
part of LFE who had a name very similar to yours.

Regards
Foz 
Webb - Leicestershire        
Newstead - Suffolk
Marshall - Suffolk
Islington - Croydon
Bradbury - Coventry
Fothergill - Yorks

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 16 January 11 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Foz

I guess that this is getting a bit like Friends Reunited! I looked at the photographs there earlier and several showed faces I recognised but in the main couldn't name accurately. I don't think that I was on them but several of my contemporaries were - possibly different classes, albeit the same year. However, I am fairly sure that whoever name tagged a lot of them got some wrong.

You'll see my name at the head of my research list. Names from your end of LFE in my year would include Richardson and Wolstenholme, both from Hinckley Rd. and Leaman, even further along well beyond the Red Cow.

Are you sure about Wigston Grammar School. I didn't think that there was one. Wyggeston Grammar School was in Leicester and Wigston was a secondary modern I seem to recall. The local grammar schools for that part of the county were surely Kibworth and Lutterworth?

Quite a few of my friends at Holmfield from my immediate area went to Anstey. I went to Dixie and lost contact with many of them particularly after leaving Leicester for work in London in the later 60's. I also have two younger brothers who both went to the same schools as me. So we must have left some sort of mark!

cheers

Offline Foz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 17 January 11 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony,

It seems you are not the person I was thinking of!!  Never mind, it's still good to reminisce.

Well, my brother definitely went to Wigston school, I always thought it was a Grammar but obviously not.

I vaguely remember the name Wolstenholme from Hinckley Rd, but I definitely remember the Richardsons - Ann and Martin.   They lived next door but one to me.   I can't remember Leaman.

So, you went to Dixie did you?   Did you know someone called Taplin from Earl Shilton?  and Robert Brown and Jeff/Geoff Craythorne, both from Hinckley?

Regards
Foz

Webb - Leicestershire        
Newstead - Suffolk
Marshall - Suffolk
Islington - Croydon
Bradbury - Coventry
Fothergill - Yorks