Author Topic: What parts of Leicestershire are you connected with?  (Read 26094 times)

Offline Ottawa_John

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What parts of Leicestershire are you connected with?
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 23:06 BST (UK) »
I am a London born naturalized Canadian.

I am coming back to this after a number of years looking for other ancestors in the UK.  My grandmother was born in Leicester in 1883. Ancestral names I have in Leicestershire include: -
~ Holyland
Where: Desford, Ratby, Balby,  Billesdon and South Croxton

~ Fulshaw
Where: Desford

~ Cooper
Where: Desford, Hugglescomb and Donnington

~ Parker
Where: Appleby Magna, Queninborough, Balby and South Croxton

~ Richards
Where: Billesdon

~ Upton
Where: Hinkley

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 21 July 11 09:31 BST (UK) »
Going back to 17th century my directs came from Whitwick and Osgathorpe (Wright and Hope and Roe families)earlier generations from surrounding villages.I have just visited Whitwick and Osgathorpe but 2 disappointments. In Whitwick there was nowhere to parkas the road was up and in Osgathorpe the church was closed.Never mind I got a general feel of the area.
Ringrose

Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 23:53 GMT (UK) »
 :) :) :)Hi Annie
Danone
you live  at kirby muxloe, kirby castle how far from you ,william geary of old hays  farm markfield , i think his uncle or nephew or great great grandafather  worked there in 1480s ,and i think his name was william  i was asked to reseach the castle ,how much of it is still there  is it walking distance
thanks
Danone

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 23:59 GMT (UK) »
 :) :) :)Hi diddymiller
Thanks for that on william and ann ,i would have gone with john and alice myself
any way thanks
steve

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 02 February 12 22:28 GMT (UK) »
HI Danone,

I left Kirby Muxloe when I was 5! But the castle was literally at the bottom of the road when I lived there (on Armson Avenue).  It's now owned by English Heritage; it's ruined, but there's enough of the buildings left to be able to understand the layout and explore a bit. And it has a moat! All good castles/fortified houses should have a moat!

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/kirby-muxloe-castle/
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 02 February 12 23:11 GMT (UK) »
 :) :) :)Hey Annie I was born in coalvile ,1964 march 14th stayed in skeggness for some time came back lived here in markfield when i was a kid in the 70s ,lived in ellistown ,came back here this was my grandads house he died in 1877from miners lung
so i have seen some parts of the country been in turlangton as well would love to live there ,would love to live on the farm where my mums family lived old hays ratby lane markfield and go back to how things was run ,i have a feel for the country ways ,
Danone

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
  • English conversation tutor in France.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 14:00 BST (UK) »
Interesting question.

Most of my family connections are in Leicestershire as far back as the 1700's. One of my Grandma's was from Essex and one Great Grandma was originally from Wolverhampton.

So turning to Leicestershire, I am connected to the following (in no particular order): Hathern, Shepshed, Rothley, Croft, Enderby.

Family names are Nelson, Holyland, Timson, Norman, Fisher & Cooper. Nelson (my name) was in the Shepshed area as far back as the early 1800's - before that ancestors were from Lowdham and Lambley in Nottinghamshire.
Holyland (my Mum's maiden name) is a bit of an odd one. Having thought my ancestors were from Desford, this has recently been thrown out after I discovered the name was adopted in the early 1860's. My Great Great Grandad was illegitimate and born with his mothers surname of Norman, in Rothely Workhouse. She met a Holyland and so my Great Great Grandad was unofficially adopted. The Norman became a middle name and Holyland his family name.

The Fisher was my paternal Great Grandmother, who was from Hathern. That leaves Timson, which was my paternal Grandmothers name - who was born in Enderby. Her mothers name was Cooper.

For me personally, although my Dad was also born in Enderby & my Mum was born in Colchester, I was born in Nuneaton, Warwickshire. They were living in Hinckley at the time. I later lived in Braunstone Town and now I live near Paris in France!

John.
Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Timson - Leics (Enderby & Croft).
Holyland [Name adopted 1863] - Leics (Leicester, Barrow Upon Soar & Rothley).
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)
Briant - Brantôme & Périgueux, Dordogne (France)
Soulette - Saint Pons de Thomières, Hérault (France)

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 15:08 BST (UK) »
I have a few families from Leics , some lived in Buckingham St and districts of St Margarets and St Marys. Going further back they were from Thurmaston, Birstall and Queniborough. I haven't been able to find them before Queniborough though.    I don't know Leics, apart from visits to Buckingham St in the early 60's and much later visits to the record office at Wigston, that's all I know.

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
  • English conversation tutor in France.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 15:23 BST (UK) »
I have a few families from Leics , some lived in Buckingham St and districts of St Margarets and St Marys. Going further back they were from Thurmaston, Birstall and Queniborough. I haven't been able to find them before Queniborough though.    I don't know Leics, apart from visits to Buckingham St in the early 60's and much later visits to the record office at Wigston, that's all I know.

I had ancestors that lived in the Saint Margarets' parish back in the 1800's - which are the streets between the present day Saint Margarets' Bus Station and the southern part of Abbey Park. Those from the same family also seemed to have ended up near the bottom of Melton Road in Belgrave.

Most of that area was slums.

John.
Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Timson - Leics (Enderby & Croft).
Holyland [Name adopted 1863] - Leics (Leicester, Barrow Upon Soar & Rothley).
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)
Briant - Brantôme & Périgueux, Dordogne (France)
Soulette - Saint Pons de Thomières, Hérault (France)