Author Topic: Alexander McKay  (Read 4931 times)

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander McKay
« on: Friday 30 July 10 20:29 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Alexander McKay. His daughter Jane McKay married James Getty 25th November 1875 in Balteagh Presbyterian Church. Jane had a sister Lizzie.

I am trying to confirm that this is the same Alexander McKay who married Elizabeth McQuistion in Balteagh Pres Church on 31st August 1855. A number of their children were baptised in this church but I would suspect that Alexander and Elizabeth would have had more children between 1855, when they married and 1869 when a daughter Rebecca was baptised.  Baptism records for this church unfortunately do not begin until 1869.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McKay
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 11:21 BST (UK) »
I have confirmed that the parents of Jane McKay were indeed Alexander McKay and Elizabeth McQuiston and have found some additional information about their children which may be of interest to those researching the McKay/McCay name in the Limavady area.

Children of Alexander McKay  and Elizabeth McQuiston (McQueston and various other permutations) are:

Jane b c 1855; m James Getty; d in Belfast
Martha b c 1862; d unmarried in Belfast
Lizzie b c 1863; m Wm James Holmes; d in Belfast
Rebecca b 12th Aug 1867; m Robert S McMillen; lived in Belfast
Joseph b 23rd Jan 1870
Joseph b 13th Jan 1872?
Annie b 10th Feb 1874
Matilda b 17th Aug 1878
Alexander b c 1879; m Jane Harrison

I am looking for any additional information re this family in particular Joseph, Annie and Matilda McKay. Is anyone able to help?
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 11:51 BST (UK) »
May have found something but don't want to post yet in case it's not correct family. Any idea of occupations? Have you found any of the McKays in 1901 and 1911 census yet?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 19:54 BST (UK) »
There are so many McKays/McCays in the Limavady area that it is difficult to sort them out. Alexander's occupation seems to have been a labourer but in 1911 census he has become a retired land steward! Alexander McKay died 15th Nov 1915 and is buried in Dundonald Cemetery. Elizabeth, his wife, died 22nd Nov 1909 and according to an American source is buried at Lislane.

I checked GRONI today and the mother of the two Joseph McKays was McQuiston so I presume the one born in 1870 died. I also found a Matilda McKay who died 22nd March 1882 aged 3 yrs and an Annie McKay who died 2nd June 1887 aged 18.

I also confirmed that the father of Alexander who married Jane Harrison was Alexander McKay, a labourer. Alexander, the younger, was a bootmaker and he lived in Limavady.
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 21:24 BST (UK) »
Haven't that information earlier would have meant a bit less searching for me but here's what I found.

1901 census- Alexander's wife Elizabeth still alive:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Limavaddy/Linen_Hall_Street/1526087
1911 - Alexander in household of Robert S. McMillan (son-in-law)- this puts Elizabeth's death 1901/1911:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Cromac/Vernon_Street/167787

Dundonlad Cemetery records show Alexander McKay of Vernon St. died 1915- in same plot are 3 others: Martha McKay (daughter?), Emily Getty (grand-daughter?) and Catherine Adams.
http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialrecords/

With the deaths you've now found it seems as though the only child not accounted for is the Joseph born 13 Jan.18701872? (it was quite common to re-use names after the death of an infant)

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 21:50 BST (UK) »
 Sorry aghadowey.

You are right Martha is a daughter and Georgina Emily Getty and Catherine Adams are grandchildren. I just need to confirm who registered the death of Annie and Matilda and Joseph then is, as you say, the only one unaccounted for.

Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 22:27 BST (UK) »
Wonder if this could be the missing Joseph in 1901? shoemaker and born Co. Derry, daughter named Lily which can be a nickname for Elizabeth-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Woodvale_Ward/Northland_Street/987140/
The 3 children seem to be here in 1911 without the parents-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Ormeau/Douglas_St/211533

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 22:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this. It is certainly worth checking out.

I have found a Joseph McKay who married Mary Jane Mawhinney in Bovevagh Pres Church on 16th Nov 1891. I wonder if this could be the same Joseph.
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 23:09 BST (UK) »
Will see if I can find a bit more about this Joseph- think I might have found his death but looking to see if I can confirm or rule it out.