Author Topic: Lawrie?  (Read 2255 times)

Offline oz-E

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lawrie?
« on: Saturday 31 July 10 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hello all, I had been having trouble tracking my husbands grandmother (ELizabeth Harley MS Lawrie). On a recent trip to Scotland I found her Headstone (Tayport) and then was able to get her death certificate from SP. On her death certificate her parents are listed as Robert Lawrie and Margaret Lawrie (MS Kemp) and her name as Elizabeth Angus Murray Lawrie.
HOWEVER on her marriage certificate her parents are listed as William Lawrie and Elizabeth Lawrie (MS Murray) and her name as Elizabeth M. Lawrie
So with this dilemma in mind I tried to find her birth certificate - no luck but found a marriage certificate for the Robert Lawrie and Margaret Kemp AND on this marriage certificate Margaret lists her parents as William Kemp (deceased) and Elizabeth Murray (previously Kemp MS Angus)
So I am presuming and thats a big ASSUMPTION that my Elizabeth listed her Grandparents on her marriage certificate!

Can anyone from the Aberdeen Lawries or anyone with more experience than I help me out please???

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lawrie?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 July 10 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi and Welcome to Rootschat 

I see you joined back in April and this is your first post 

Elizabeth Angus Murray Lawrie's birth is registered on SP as 5 June 1892, Longacre, Aberdeen

Her parents were Robert Lawrie, a shipyard labourer and Margaret, m.s. Kemp who married Feb 18 1888.

Robert Lawrie, father was the informant

I'm not part of the Aberdeen Lawries, just here to help  :)

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 July 10 09:16 BST (UK) »
This looks as if it might be the family in 1901 - Robert possibly in South Africa (Boer war):

67 Queen Street, Aberdeen
168/1 ED 28 P 19

Lawrie

Margaret, hd, mar, 42, Soldier's wife
William, s, 10, b. Newcastle, England
Elizabeth, d, 8
Sarah,d, 6
Williamina, d, 4
Isabella, d, 3

All b. Aberdeen except William

There is a possible for the family in Newcastle on the 1891 but things don't quite fit -
RG12/4215/47/20  I've done quite afew searches but can't find any other possible match at the moment  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 July 10 09:39 BST (UK) »
Robert is with his family (as marriage cert) in Aberdeen on the 1861 -
13 Albion Street, Aberdeen 168a ED 50 P 4 so I don't think the 1891 Newcastle family was him.

I still don't see them on the 1891 - do you have them?

Gadget

Offline oz-E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 July 10 10:24 BST (UK) »
NO don't have them earlier- thanks for the heads up about the birth certificate- as she only had Elizabeth M Lawrie on her marriage certificate (I hadn't been aware of the angus until getting her death cert) and so had another Elizabeth M Lawrie birth cert- SO I wonder why she would give her grandparents details at her wedding?? Some sort of family fallout I guess?? Up until now I was working on her mothers  maiden name being murray as stated on her wedding cert not kemp as per the death and birth cert

I did have the info for the 1901 census and will try to see if perhaps William died in the Boer hence the ? movement of some children to the grandparents

Thanks again

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 July 10 14:05 BST (UK) »
I think that this is Margaret in 1881 with her mother and step father, Margaret has taken her stepfather's surname:

8 Albion Street, Aberdeen
168/1 ED 25 p 43

Murray
William, 39, stone polisher
Ekizabeth, w,39
William,s, 8
John, s, 6
Isabella A,  d, 10 months
Margaret Murray,d , unm, 21, millworker
Mary Ann Laurie, grdd, 5
Margaret Laurie, grdd, 3
Jane Laurie, grdd, 1
Isabella Angus, mother in law, 73, b. Banff

All but Isabella Angus  b. Banff  Aberdeen

Those 3 Laurie granddaughters look interesting.

Gadget

Offline oz-E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 July 10 15:00 BST (UK) »
So am I to understand that William and Elizabeth are now Murray? And Margaret has taken that name and although unmarried her children have the surname of their father Robert? At margaret marriage to Robert in 1888 she states that her father william kemp is  deceased and that her mother is Elizabeth Murray (previously Kemp MS Angus)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 July 10 15:11 BST (UK) »
From what you said in your original posting , Elizabeth was Murray, formerly Kemp m.s. Angus

Found a marriage certificate for the Robert Lawrie and Margaret Kemp AND on this marriage certificate Margaret lists her parents as William Kemp (deceased) and Elizabeth Murray (previously Kemp MS Angus)

So, as I see it,  she married Margaret's father, William Kemp. He died and then she married William Murray.

I'm not sure about those Laurie children - haven't checked any birth details.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 July 10 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hmmmmmmmm

I think that this is Margaret and her mother and grandparents in 1861:

38 Up. Denburn, Old Machar, Aberdeen
168b ED 6 P57

Wm Angus, 60, labourer, b. Rayne
Isabella Angus,w,  51, rag picker, b. Alva Banff
Isabella Angus, d, 28, rag picker, b. Auchterless
Elizth Angus, d, 20, rag picker, b. Inveruirie
Elizth Shephard, grdd, 2, b. Aberdeen
Margt Kemp,  grdd, 1, b. Aberdeen
Jane Thom, lodger, 25, rag picker, b. Chapel orf Garioch

This suggests that Margaret was born to Elizabeth before she married. Maybe her father was a William Kemp  :-\

Margaret's birth is registed in Old Machar on 30 April 1860 at Denburn, Aberdeen as

Margaret Johan Angus, illegitimate

Mother (and informant)  - Elizabeth Angus, farm servant

Gadget