Author Topic: Thomas HOPKINSON & Nancy WALLWORK- Holcombe  (Read 9723 times)

Offline pattyh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas HOPKINSON & Nancy WALLWORK- Holcombe
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thomas Hopkinson & Nancy Wallwork are my 4gGrandparents.

I have found records of them in the Tottington/ Holcombe area having 4 children between 1819-1825
Richard
Betty
Alice
Priscilla
William

They never married but both their names are on the baptism records at Church of Emmanual in Holcombe.

Nancy later moved to Pendlebury.

I cant find any records for Thomas other than the Baptisms. Does anyone have any knowledge of this family?
I am wondering why the never married, the children all took the mothers surname.

I believe Thomas was a publican at The Bulls Head on Holcombe lane around 1821.

Regards
Jackie

Jackie I don't know if you are still working on this or not.  I have a copy of the will of Thomas Hopkinson, Innkeeper, who died in 1831.  I believe he is the Thomas who was the father of Nancy Wallwork's children.  This Thomas was the son of Thomas Hopkinson and Alice Rothwell, of Elton.  Thomas seems to have not married until 1828.  He had a bit of a shotgun wedding marrying 12 Aug 1828 a Lucy Appleton.  They barely managed to marry before the birth of their only child Hannah who was born 25 SEP 1828 (there may have been others who died  young, but have not researched that yet).

In his will he does not mention any children by Nancy Wallwork.  Rather he mentions several of his siblings, and his daughter Hannah.  This Thomas seems to have been the Innkeeper at Bulls Head.  Its not clear if Hannah survived to majority, but in any event he names 2 of his brothers as his executors and a friend, and mentions by name a total of 4 of his brothers and unnamed other brothers and sisters.  He also specifically leaves his property at Gartside Heyes, Lower Brandlesom Booths Tenement to his brother Joseph.  This is the Joseph who is found in the various census ennumerations after he died in 1831.

That makes us cousins!  I am descended of Thomas Hopkinson, Innkeeper's brother Edward.  I have the line back another couple of generations beyond Thomas Hopkinson, Innkeeper's parents (Thomas Hopkinson and Alice Rothwell) and I can share that if you want it.  I would love to update the tree with more detail from you on the Wallwork descendants.

Feel free to contact me directly Patty Hopkinson (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline pollyyates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 10 August 15 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Patty H . I have just seen your post to Jackie which I found very interesting as my husbands  gig grandfather was Edward Thomas's brother. Please would you tell me where you found the copy of Thomas's will . Pollyyates :)

Offline pattyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 August 15 07:16 BST (UK) »
Polly,

I also descend from Thomas' brother Edward.  I sent you a message with my email address.  Please contact me.