Author Topic: Need help with a name COMPLETED  (Read 2953 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with a name COMPLETED
« Reply #18 on: Monday 02 August 10 17:51 BST (UK) »
I think you are coming to the right conclusion that your Rebecca's parents are likely to be as shown on her death cert (leaving aside the surname for mother Mary of McLaren and McLellan, two surnames that were often mixed up in those times because they are so similar).

There certainly look to have been children showing to a Hans Stevenson and Mary McLellan in the right period. I can see the details for two daughters on IGI and on the new format family search one other son shows a Robert b. 10 Mar 1814, chr 17 April in Girvan Ayrshire.

I think it is this Robert who went on to have his children with Margaret Armstrong in Hutchesontown, Glasgow, including the names Hans and Rebecca (perhaps a brother to your Rebecca). There is also a potential son Hans Stevenson who married a Mary Aitken, who could well link up as a son to this family.

What was the occupation showing for father Hans on Rebecca's death entry? You could check other death certs for possible children we have so far to see whether it matches perhaps?

Someone has a small tree for Robert Stevenson, husband of Margaret Armstrong. His parents show as Hans Stevenson and Mary McLellan. Little son Hans b. 1856 died the following year and likely this is why I couldn't find him on the 1861 census. Robert is showing as having remarried in 1861 (Elizabeth Pollock) and his death in 1876 - a huge nineteen children showing from the two marriages although likely early death for some of the little ones. Occupation for father showing as Garden Labourer although source is not given.

Apart from the children you have found for a Hans Stevenson and Mary McLellan - William, Margaret, Robert and Mary - some other children showing to them on this tree are:

John 1799-1869 d. Motherwell
Hans 1813-1887 d. Hamilton

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AnamCara

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with a name COMPLETED
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am actually looking into this family as my great great grandmother was Margaret Moffat who was one of the daughters of Rebecca Stevenson and James Moffat.
Rebecca Stevenson's parents were Mary McClellan/McClellan and Hans/Hans Stevenson... he did go by Robert on census while living with daughter Rebecca and her husband James
Twist is Rebecca's birth certificate and her sister Janet both have fathers listed as Thomas Stevenson/Stevenson/Stephenson
Record details
Name   Rebecka Stevenson
Gender   Female
Age   0
Birth Date   23 Oct 1802
Baptism Date   14 Nov 1802
Baptism Place   , Old Monkland, Lanark, Scotland
Residence Date   1802
Residence Place   Old Monkland, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Father   Thomas Stevenson
Mother   Mary Mclalan

So she either had children with two brothers or he went by 3 different names... additionally Rebecca Stevensons death certificate lists her mother as Mary Mclaren, so someone mentioning those two names being often confused helps alot....tho will make my life a litte difficult lol because my great great grandfathers mother was also Mary Mclaren (nee Anderson).

Where I have become stuck is, my Great Great Grandmother Margret Moffat married Thomas Mclaren, who was a journeyman for a brass foundry. They supposedly were to have my Great Grandmother, Rebecca Mclaren... however I do not find any Rebecca Mclaren birth records she was supposed to be born Dec of 1854 per census records of USA, but I did come across Rebecca Moffat (Stevenson) son John Moffat living on Bedford Lane in Hutchesontown in 1861 with a Rebecca McClellan age 7 who would have been the same age as my great grandmother Rebecca Mclaren. Margret and Thomas would have been married then but Margaret is living with her mother Rebecca Moffat (Stevenson) and using her maiden name, which I think was not uncommon back then because her sister Janet is listed as Moffat as well but her husband Alexander Hogg is living there as well. There was also 3 little Mcphee children showing up randomly living with them but I have yet to find connection to that last name.

Robert Stevenson who married Margaret Armstrong was Rebecca Stevensons brother, however Rebecca also had a son Robert Moffat who married Catherine Kellachan and Susan Sellars. Hans Stevenson who married married Mary Aitken is yes also son of Hans and Mary.

The only marriage record for Hans marrying a Mary McClellan is 1827 and not sure about that, will dig into a potential marriage to a Mary Mclaren tho!