Author Topic: Emley Parish Church - Baptisms 1600-1918 - Name REDGWICK  (Read 8854 times)

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emley Parish Church - Baptisms 1600-1918 - Name REDGWICK
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 18:27 BST (UK) »
H DeeN

I was in Huddersfield library today so took a look at the Emley Parish Register transcription.

I found Mary's baptism on 20 March 1791 ...

'Mary daughter of John and Hannah Redjoke, 20 March'

There were a lot of Redjokes in the index but I didn't have time to look them up.  Let me know if you'd like me to look at them next time I'm in the library,

I think Redjoke is a lovely name!

Sandra

Offline DeeN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra

Many thanks, no occupation then?  A bit early for occupations to be included but you never know.

Yes, thank you I would.  I will just complete looking at the transcriptions and see which will help me the most.

I can't see how REDJOKE got to REDGWICK, I am trying to think of it said with a dialect but no matter how I say it I just can't make the connection.  I also wondered if it was originally a none British name.  Lots for me to think about.

DeeN

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra

Many thanks, no occupation then?  A bit early for occupations to be included but you never know.

Yes, thank you I would.  I will just complete looking at the transcriptions and see which will help me the most.

I can't see how REDJOKE got to REDGWICK, I am trying to think of it said with a dialect but no matter how I say it I just can't make the connection.  I also wondered if it was originally a none British name.  Lots for me to think about.

DeeN

Hi DeeN,

I have seen the Emley registers at Hudd's library; I too have ancestors' from Emley.  The Emley registers on Ancestry have exactly the same info as the ones in the library. 

Redgwick would have been pronounced by locals as Redjick when I was a gal, prior to then accents were more broad; so Redjoke is very feasible.

An ancestor of mine born in Clayton West, baptised Emley church, married at Silkstone church.

What a pity Dade registers weren't used in Emley; if you're not familiar with them, they were registers kept in some Yorkshire parishes and were very detailed, they usually had father's father's name, and mother's father's name, also stated what order in the family the baptised child was, ie 4th child, 2nd son.  A fantastic resource for family historians.

Offline DeeN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Libby9

Many thanks for the info on Emley registers.

Ah, I understand better now how the name is said.

Mary REDGWICK always states Clayton West as her place of birth in census returns she married in High Hoylake where she is buried.  That was a lucky find, the MIs have been transcribed and they are online.

No I do not know about Dade registers but I can remember years ago finding a Cheshire register that had both sets of parents names and I thought all my Christmas's had come at once  :)

DeeN

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 11:49 BST (UK) »
I agree with Libby, Redjoke is Redgwick (Redgewick, Ridgwick, Ridgewick, etc., etc.)

I have a Sarah Redjoke who married Joseph Scargill in 1858 (I have this from FreeBMD not the parish records)

There is a baptism for Sarah on the IGI at Emley on 19 July 1840, d/o Joseph and Elizabeth.

There is a member submitted marriage for Joseph Redjoke or Redgwick to Elizabeth Walshaw at Emley on 15 Jul 1839 but I have not verified this.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 11:57 BST (UK) »
I should have looked this up before I posted earlier but there is a member submitted record on the IGI for the baptism of Joseph Redjoke/Redgwick at Emley on 21 May 1815.

His patents were John Redjoke/Redgwick and Hannah so I am referring to the same family.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline DeeN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 18:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Holmemoss

This line is very new to me and I am going carefully.  I have a slight problem with the number of children for John and Hannah (who I think will be Hannah GRAY) I have found nine so far and this was the number indicated by another REDGWICK researcher but the span of the births is 24 years, not unheard of I know especially is Hannah married young. 

I do have Joseph b 1815 and he would be their last known child if correct. 

I will look more at Joesph and see if I can get his marriage record in full, it does not appear in the extracted records on Ancestry.

The other thing I noted about the Emley records on Ancestry is that they do not state whether they are BMD, OK marriages are easy to work out as there is usually a partner named but Baptisms and Burials could be either.

DeeN

Offline kian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I can do a lookup for Emley, my family was RIDGWICK, it became that from REDGWICK/ REDIOCK and varients when the family moved from the  Clayton West/ Emley area to the Holme Valley in the middle 1800's,
Judith

Offline DeeN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith

Many thanks for the reply.

I have moved on a little and found that 'my' Mary REDGWICK was not the daughter of Joseph and Hannah GREY but probably Joseph and Rebbecca WHARAM.  Mary was bap High Hoyloand 1790 and that is where Joseph and Rebbecca were married  in 1784. 

Have you got Joseph and Rebbecca in your line?

DeeN