Author Topic: elusive Aubrey Cross's  (Read 3419 times)

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
elusive Aubrey Cross's
« on: Saturday 02 April 05 00:41 BST (UK) »
I have several Aubrey Cross's 'floating loose" in my family tree. all of them are pretty elusive and I've been unable to link them to the tree, but most of them have some connection to it. all are non-conformist and I've been unable to track down most of thier records.
however, I have found some things, and have surmised some others. some of this is documented, either by IGI, Quaker records, wills, or directories. can anyone help me clear up the mysteries that remain?

Aubrey Cross son of Joseph Cross and Mary Mayhew
b. 6 May 1771 St. Botolphs. Colchester (Colchester Quakers)
d. ? possibly 23 Aug 1804 Colchester (if not, which Aubrey?)
m. 8 Feb 1874 St. Botolphs w/o Aldersgate, London
Mary Church
nothing known of her
their children
Aubrey b. 7 Apr 1796
Matilda chr. 22 Apr 1798
Eliza chr. 13 Oct 1799
Mary chr. 17 May 1801
Clarissa
Sally

the last two children are mentioned in a will, but are not in the IGI

Aubrey Cross
b. 7 Apr 1796 place unknown
m. in 1820 at St. Botolph's w/o Aldersgate, London
Sophia Millard prob. dau of Jonathan Millard and Sophia __?__
if so, b. 09 NOV 1817   St Botolph Without Aldgate, London
thier children
Aubrey Jonathan b. 21 Oct 1821
Sophia Julia b. 30 Jun 1825
Robert Cogan b. 4 May1828 - 1893 Brentford, Middlesex
Caroline Matilda b. 16 Jun 1832
Alexander Lopdell b. abt 1832 London
William Ernest chr. 9 Sep 1838 SBWA, London

almost nothing is known of the descendants, if any, of these children. Caroline did marry, but the one census we have for her is a bit confusing as to who is related to whom, how.

then there are these two. one was living at the Minories in London...

Aubrey Cross married Allette Karoline Karlson 
B    ---   ---   1844
M   09th    June   1874
D   06th    April   1911
|
Aubrey Cross married Mary Crew Stanton
B    ***   ***   1804
M    04th    June    1839
D    07th    May    1844 (death record in NZ(?) no info.

I do not have either of these two above mentioned men in my files, but am in contact with an Aussie who believes they are somehow related. since there are very few Aubrey Cross's out there (I've searched the 'net for nearly a decade and haven't found much...most of the links I find in search engines are to my queries) and they seem to mostly be related to my line, I'm very interested in learning more about these two Aubrey's who aren't in my files.

and finally, there is
Aubrey Joseph Cross who d. 1839 as a child in St. Georges East. his father was Joseph Aubrey Cross who lived at 1 Charles, St. Georges East. he also lived in Tower Hamlets.
I've add them in so if you stumble across them, I could use some of the family's information as that, also, is incomplete.
this brings it back full circle, as Aubrey Cross who m. Sophia Millard is Joseph Aubrey Cross's "half" uncle-Aubrey who m. Sophia Millard was Joseph Aubrey Cross's father's half brother.

what I surmise is that Aubrey Cross who m. Sophia Millard is the same Aubrey Cross and Sophia who witnessed Joseph Aubrey Cross's m. to Rebecca Sidnell, and that Aubrey who m. Sophia Millard is the same Aubrey as Aubrey, the son of Aubrey who m. Mary Church. as yet, I have no specific documentation of this. there are several listings of Aubrey Cross's in the Colchester Quaker records, but it's hard to tell if they all relate to one Aubrey Cross, or two or more Aubrey Cross's. I do have a will of a spinster half sister of Aubrey who m. Mary Church that lists several of Aubrey and Sophia's children, and mentions Aubrey as their deceased father, which connects them to the family, but not specifically.

so we have one living in St. Georges East and the Tower Hamlets. one in the Minories and one or more in St. Botolph's w/o Aldersgate. some are clearly connected to Colchester, as well. but exactly how are they all related? beyond what I've listed here, I mean.

Joseph Aubrey Cross was at this church for some of his children's chr., but where else may he have been, and what of the other Aubreys?
Mile End Latimer Chapel Bridge Street-Independant

I cannot search well from where I am, which is in Oregon, USA.
Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt