Author Topic: Joseph Edwards b 1790 Aldersgate  (Read 1181 times)

Offline rosiebun3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Edwards b 1790 Aldersgate
« on: Monday 02 August 10 18:32 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Edwards family who lived in Hackney around 1800's. I have a Joseph Edwards married to a Judith Wingham in 1813 at St Giles Cripplegate. Have managed to trace back Judith but Joseph is proving more difficult. In the 1861 census he is in Shelford Surrey and his place of birth is marked as Aldersgate,London. I have looked for him in 1790+/- 2 years in Aldersgate with no success.
Is there anyone else researching this family who may know where he was born. They did seem to move back and forth between Hackney and Guildford. ???

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Edwards b 1790 Aldersgate
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 August 10 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

On the 1851 census Joseph was aged 61 and 72 on the 1861 census, so a birth year of circa 1790/1789 (depending when his birthday fell in regards to census night) or even 1788. His birthplace is given as London. His burial in Farncombe in 1861 gives his age as 72 (have you checked to see whether he has a gravestone?)

The IGI (an imperfect index which doesn't cover all the City of London churches) gives a Joseph Edward's baptism in 1788 at St Sepulchre - birth 4th September

This website shows the geography of the main City of London churches

http://web.archive.org/web/20071009113436/www.steeljam.dircon.co.uk/churches/londonchurchlocation.htm

St Botolph without Aldersgate is number 50 on the map
St Sepulchre is 57
and
St Giles Cripplegate 45

so they are adjacent (but then there are 103 parish churches all crammed into the square mile of the City of London so none of them are very far away from each other) 

This couple seem to have had 9 children baptised at St Sepulchre.

Of course finding a baptism doesn't actually make it the correct baptism particularly when the surname Edwards is so common and it isn't exactly Aldersgate.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosiebun3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 August 10 20:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda
I had been slowly working outwards using an atlas of parish registers that I have borrowed. I had checked all those along the Aldersgate street; but also thought St Sepulchre was too far away. I have just measured it on my map and realised it is less than a quarter of a mile away from Aldersgate street.
Thanks for your suggestions
Becky

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 August 10 00:01 BST (UK) »
The City of London is quite cosy - you can look at church parish registers in the Guildhall and then be just a few minutes walk from any church.

Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex