Author Topic: AUMONIER - Huguenot family, Spitalfields ?  (Read 10398 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
AUMONIER - Huguenot family, Spitalfields ?
« on: Monday 02 August 10 23:20 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about the Aumonier family, Spitalfields, around 1780-1810 ?   I'm trying to prove a link between Mary Ann Aumonier, b. abt 1788, and a Frederic Gibson Armonier, b. abt 1802.   Frederic was a goldsmith.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: AUMONIER - Huguenot family, Spitalfields ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 August 10 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

Do the Prerogative of Canterbury wills give any clues?

Will of David Aumonier, Stock Broker of Cornhill , City of London 01 March 1855 PROB 11/2207 
Will of Peter Aumonier, Weaver of Christ Church , Surrey 01 March 1787 PROB 11/1151 

Have you contacted the Huguenot Society

http://www.huguenotsociety.org.uk/

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda

Thanks for the input  :)

I've come across these, and there's a lot more AUMONIERs if you search on the IGI, but I can't find anywhere to link the families.

I've not contacted the Huguenot society, because I'm helping a friend, but I may urge them to do that.

Thanks,

Nick.

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 August 10 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick

Frederics ancestry is fairly easy to trace.

His  great great grandfather Pierre Aumonier/Aumosnier came over probably around 1681. He was granted denisation Aug 24 1684 and later Naturalised as a full citizen in 1709.

His son Pierre Jr (born before 1681 in Poitou), married Francoise Biget, and had two children Pierre baptised 1702 and Catherine baptised 1706, both at La Patente, Spitalfields. On both baptisms he is a weaver, in 1702 they are living in SHoreditch in 1706 Wheeler Street, Spitalfields.

His son Pierre, born 1702, married Judith Pigne in 1721.

They had the following children all baptised at  La Patente, Spitalfields.

1722 Pierre
1724 Marie
1728 Batelemy
1733 Pierre
1735 Abraham
1739 David

(This is where my own small link with the family comes in Bartelemy, was named for his godfather, Bartholomew Bernard, Judith Pignes uncle, who was son to my great aunt Ledoux.  Pierre later stood as godfather to another great auntie, Deverduns child in 1750's.)

David 1739 became a shoemaker in Wheeler Street, Spitalfields. He was a respected member of the community, several children at the Westminster French Protestant Charity School were apprenticed to him, and he also recommended several suitable patients to the French Hospital before being admitted himself 1804 and dying there 1811.

David joined the Threadneedle Street French Huguenot Church in 1766, aged 27. His first child, with wife Anne Bourdon, was baptised the the same year a son Pierre. He was however baptised at La Patente, Spitalfields. The next child another son Jean, 1768 was baptised at Threadneedle, as was another son Pierre in 1772, however all the other children were baptised at La Patente.

1766 Pierre (La Patente)
1768 Jean (Threadneedle)
1771 Anne (La Patente)
1772 Pierre (Threadneedle)
1773 David  (La Patente)
1776 Phillipe (La Patente)
1778 Jacques (La Patente)

La Patente closed down in 1786, and this is probably why his son Jean, has his four children baptised at St Jean Spitalfields, which was the last surviving French church in the East End.

Jeans wife was Marie Everard and Frederic Gibson Aumonier was their youngest son:

1796 Francoise Ann (GP. Thomas and Frances Collingwood)
1797 Alfred Everard (GP. Thomas and Frances Collingwood)
1799 Henri Collingwood (GP. David Aumonier and Frances Collingwood)
1801 Frederic Gibson (GP James and Mary Gibson)

Unfortunately I cannot find any trace of a Marie Anne Aumonier in the French Churches, so cannot tell how she links up to Frederic.

Regards

Richard
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 August 10 12:52 BST (UK) »
Nick bit of extra info re the will of Peter Valda mentions. 

This was for Peter 1702 father of David 1739. He is described as of christchurch Spitalfields, Weaver, and left bequest to son Peter Aumonier, son David Aumonier (married), daughter Mary Goley (Widow), sister Catherine Chargelique. dated 9 July 1783, proved 14 March 1787.

This matches the burials for his children on the IGI Pilot site. Pierre 1722, Bartelemy/Bartholomew 1728, and Abraham 1735, al died in infancy.

Since the surviving Pierre 1733 was still unmarried in 1783, aged 50, when the fathers will was made out, and David therefore had no other surviving brothers, this might rule out Marie Ann being a cousin to Frederic from that generation at least.

The other possibility is perhaps she was a daughter of one of Davids own son, and therefore a first cousin to Frederic, but this seems unlikely, his father Jeans oldest surviving brother Pierre was born 1772, so would only be about 16 at the time Marie Ann was born..seems unlikely to me, not impossible, but unlikely.

Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 August 10 10:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for all of that !  :)

I've not come across any Huguenot families before, so I didn't know how to go about it, so thanks again for your help !  :)

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 August 10 12:50 BST (UK) »
No problem Nick

I had a check through the French Hospital records, and the sister of Pierre (b.1702) who left the will, Catherine Aumonier/Chargelique (1706-1794), also died there, and gives the info the family were originally from "Dicheny, Upper Poitou".

There is also a Jacques Aumonier (1684-1765) who entered the hospital 1757, nominated by the Society of Poitou, and gave his origin as 'La Mothe, Poitou"

In addition a Pierre Aumonier, widow remarried at La Patente in 1720, to a Marie, widow. He was described as a native of "Cheez, Poitou" and she "Lusignan, Poitou". Whether this Pierre born circa 1681, or his father is unclear.

La Mothe is fairly easy to find on a modern map, and quite a few Protestant refugees to England hailed from there. Dicheny and Cheez, no sign of, BUT..immediately South of La Mothe are two small neighbouring villages Chey and Chenay. I think Cheez therefore refers to Chey, and Dicheny should perhaps read "DE Chenay" i.e, of Chenay.

I realise this is earlier than the period you are looking at, but you never know might help.

Someone seems to have done some previous research into the family in the 20th century as an article was published in volume 18 of the Huguenot Proceedings in 1952, snippet view here:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?ei=lBVbTPfKC8r84Aamg5mHAg&ct=book-thumbnail&id=YBrkAAAAMAAJ&dq=%22PIERRE+AUMONIER%22%2BHUGUENOT%2BPOITOU&q=%22PIERRE+AUMONIER%22#search_anchor

In addition I had a look on "London Lives" and there is an original copy of David Aumoniers signature on a petition there from the 1780's. Also the rather unexpected info that he was convicted of a felony at the age of 60, and was given 6 months in the house of correction and a 1 shilling fine. No clue as to what he had done there. A description is given of him as dark eyes and complexion, 5 foot 5, wears a wig. He had moved into Bethnal Green by that time, and was working as a fishmonger. The earlier references to him s a shoemaker in Wheeler Street Spitalfields all date from the 1760's, so he had changed profession, wether through choice or neccesity who knows. As I say he was clearly respected in his community, the amount of references he gives to the French Hospital that are accepted evidenced this alone. Both he and his sister Marie Aumonier/Golay were involved with the Westminster French Protestant school, and had children apprenticed to them. So what he did wrong, and that late in his life, is a real mystery...

Of course none of this gets you any nearer to identifying the link between Marie Ann and Frederic I realise. As Valda suggests it might be worth contacting the Huguenot Society. They have recently digitised the proceedings to put online so may be helpful in fowarding the full Aumonier article.

Regards

Richard

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 August 10 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard.... this is a friend's tree that I'm helping with.   Her maternal g.g.g.g. grandmother was Marie (Mary) Ann Aumonier, who married William WOOLLAMS, b. 1784.  She will be thrilled with all  the information on her AUMONIER ancestors  :)

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 August 10 13:05 BST (UK) »
No problem Nick. As I say they do link up to my own lot, in a round about sort of way!

It's a pity Marie Ann can't be definently tied into them, but I think the fact Frederic Gibson also married into that family proves she does link up somewhere. There was another branch of the family as early as 1700 to the West of the city, gunsmiths and goldsmiths, the originator another Pierre Aumonier, but there's pretty strong evidence they are closely related to the East End lot, and also from  La Mothe region, upper Poitou.

There is an Anne Aumonier 1776 baptised in Cof E church to a John Aumonier in St Luke, pretty near Spitalfields, possible I suppose for Marie Anne...