Author Topic: The Diary of Nathaniel Bryceson (Part 5)  (Read 45117 times)

Offline steve_gus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Diary of Nathaniel Bryceson (Part 5)
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 12:32 BST (UK) »
http://www.oldlondonmaps.com/horwoodpages/horwood11201.html

What Alpine's saying is - 'top' side of richmond buildings - right to left is

'Bottom' of richmond buildings shows as

which is really 8,9,10,11,12.

Nat lived @ 9 which looks to be under something that isnt a 1840's building on the maps / aerial views of today

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 12:35 BST (UK) »
morning all

I thought I would repost Dinkydidy's link to the 1846 map.

http://www.ph.ucla.edu/epi/snow/1846map/3_2bw.htm

BTW ... Shaun,  I love the 1790 map.

Ruskie ... Queen Street is really close ....would love to know if Ann was born there.

Off to see if I can spot Stephen Street...

deb

Deb. if you look at the 1868 map that Shaun posted, and look at the Queen St near Soho Square that I pointed out to you on the other map ... then look a couple of streets to the right, and down a little bit you'll see 7 streets converging to an area called Seven Dials (which we spoke about way back in part one when we were looking for the Phoenix Pub) - one of the streets off Seven Dials is also called Queen St!!!  :-\ There are dozens of Queen Streets and Green Streets . :-\

Using the same map of 1868, if you go right to the top of the page in the middle you'll see Bedford Square. A little to the left of that is a yellow coloured street running to the top of the page. Stephen Street is the third one down from the top of the page running left off that long yellow street.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 12:40 BST (UK) »
The Horwood map shows No 7 right at the far end of the 'lane' and much larger than the other houses.

I think I understand that numbering now and thanks steve for posting the larger version of the phto of Richmond Buildings (I didn't think to click on it to enlarge it  :-[)

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 12:54 BST (UK) »
Ruskie's set me a challenge now, to explain so she understands.  (I was a maths teacher in another life!)

If you go out from Richmond Buildings onto Dean Street on 1790's map, on your left is 58 Dean St, next door it has 9, but that means No 59, next door again it has 60, then  the next house has 1 but that means No 61.  You would have given your address as 61 Dean St, but it would have been shown on the street plan as the No 1 between nos 60 and 70.  What an easy to use system - not!  ;D

The No 7 Richmonds Buildings could have been bigger than all the others because it could have windows on all four sides.

Ah, and I follow your meaning too, Steve
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 13:09 BST (UK) »
Just to confuse matters, Dean Street was renumbered in the early 19th century and the properties on its corners with Richmond Buildings became 80a and 80b respectively.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 13:11 BST (UK) »
Alpine - you explained that well - I understand now.
(Maths was always my weakest subject at school).  ;D

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 13:18 BST (UK) »
Just to confuse matters, Dean Street was renumbered in the early 19th century and the properties on its corners with Richmond Buildings became 80a and 80b respectively.

This was what I was questioning at the end of Part 4. There was mention of 'tablets' on the ends of Richmond Buildings facing Dean St. If you look at Google maps streetview, the building on the south side is stll numbered '80'.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 13:50 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit late in the day but wanted to bookmark and say thank you to noth Mongibello for the photograph, what a great success, and also to Deb for the occupation of printer/compositor, I wanted to try the 1901 online site since searches could be done by occupation which is difficult on Ancestry.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Mongibello

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 19:23 BST (UK) »
I did have a stroll up Dean Street this afternoon after a stint at the Archives (nothing to do with NB).
Richmond Buildings is indeed a street, albeit very short.   The North side has been redeveloped.   The West side is the entrance to the hotel.   No. 9 was on the South side but 9 to 11 is amodern office block.  No. 12 is a separate office building which looks old but I have my doubts.   It looks too good to be true.    Ironically the buildings along this part of Dean Street look quite old and rather run down.
The staff at the Archives are still enjoying the attention.   One said "You are Mongibello aren't you?"