Author Topic: The Diary of Nathaniel Bryceson (Part 5)  (Read 45171 times)

Offline Mongibello

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Diary of Nathaniel Bryceson (Part 5)
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 19:30 BST (UK) »
One other thing.    There were so many duplicated names in London that great efforts were made in the late 19th & early 20th centuries to get rid of the duplications.   The former London County Council published books at intervals giving all the names of the streets and showing names that had changed.   Fine except where they amalgamated streets & renumbered them.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 19:36 BST (UK) »
If the Westminster Archives people are reading this, I would like to congratulate them on a job extremely well done.

But perhaps they would talk to their IT people about that "Was this useful?" message - it's very annoying on days when there are no diary entries !
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Mongibello

That must have been fun ... to be recognised!!!

If the Westminster Archives people are reading this, I would like to congratulate them on a job extremely well done.

Shaun ... I second this!

deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 00:55 BST (UK) »
I did have a stroll up Dean Street this afternoon after a stint at the Archives (nothing to do with NB).
Richmond Buildings is indeed a street, albeit very short.   The North side has been redeveloped.   The West side is the entrance to the hotel.   No. 9 was on the South side but 9 to 11 is amodern office block.  No. 12 is a separate office building which looks old but I have my doubts.   It looks too good to be true.    Ironically the buildings along this part of Dean Street look quite old and rather run down.
The staff at the Archives are still enjoying the attention.   One said "You are Mongibello aren't you?"

Thanks for having a look Mongibello. I wonder if there are any rootschatters who are architects or architectural historians (or know someone who is) who may be able to date these buildings for us? Or is there anyone at Westminster Archives who may have a contact who can give their opinions about the age of these buildings? I still think no 80, the one on the corner, might be old too.

It's good to get an impression about how the buildings may have looked in 1846, and it would be nice to know that some have survived.

If there is anyone clever enough able to do a mock up of the street using the photograph and drawing? Maybe we should take this to the photo restoration board for some help from those clever people?  :)

It's great that the staff at the archives recognise you Mongibello!  ;D Some of them must be following our journey.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 01:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for explaining about the street names Mongibello. I use this site which details streets which no longer exist:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050222103343/members.aol.com/WHall95037/london.html
(I don't know how complete it is)

Yesterday I used this to find George St where the new baths were located.  :)

No diary entry today - very disappointing ...  :'(

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 08:20 BST (UK) »
Nothing to add at the moment but I'm just bookmarking as well.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline steve_gus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I dont understand why people have to post something to create a bookmark.

All you have to do (assuming Explorer or similar) is to click on favourites at the top left of the browser window, Click add to favourites, then click add. It will bookmark the page you are on without having to post  purely for the sake of a bookmark.

Perhaps your browser doesnt have this feature?

best regards

steve

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 09:56 BST (UK) »
:) or you can just click the NOTIFY button at the top of the thread on the right hand side, and you are notified as if you had bookmarked :)

Amazing photo of the grave...well done on finding it!
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline Mongibello

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 10:44 BST (UK) »
When I go to the Archives next Tuesday I will have a look at the Drainage Plans (euphemistically known as the Architectural Plans).
There MIGHT be a ground plan of some of the buildings.    However I think the 1970 Drawing is probably the best there is.