Author Topic: Guys I cant work all this out.  (Read 4540 times)

Offline lecat35

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Guys I cant work all this out.
« on: Tuesday 03 August 10 10:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help getting me started.  I cant sort this I am waiting on certificates for my grandparents, May Olive Joesphine Martin and Eric Alfred Collingwood Bush. I have ordered the 2 birth certificates and a marriage certificate. I am having issues with where to look next. I have done a heap of searches but I am not getting anywhere. I know its hard without confirmation. But I am unable to get anywhere after my grandparents where do I look?

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Guys I cant work all this out.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 10:17 BST (UK) »
I'm going to link to your related thread which gives some context:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,471044.msg3309950.html#msg3309950
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline lecat35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 10:20 BST (UK) »
Thankyou.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 10:28 BST (UK) »
It's likely the certificates will give you new leads to work with (which may or may not confirm the suggestions made in your other thread), but you may not be able to make much meaningful progress until they arrive.  Let us know when they do!
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline lecat35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 10:42 BST (UK) »
Is ancestry a good source I have gathered info from there but no idea if its even worth looking at.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 17:28 BST (UK) »
Though many are OK and thoroughly researched some trees on Ancestry and indeed any other sight are known to be inaccurate.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline lecat35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 07:51 BST (UK) »
Yes I did gather that any info I get I have to confirm and have been doing that. Have had really good luck that way.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 09:09 BST (UK) »
It's very tempting to go mad and follow blind leads when you're first starting out.  I did this myself, and then spent even more time correcting the mistakes that I'd made.

It really is essential when you first start out, to get certificates for the foundation of your family tree, because if you make a mistake early on, it will make the rest of that branch completely useless.

I can remember waiting for my first certificates to arrive - it seemed to take forever !   However, when they do arrive, it will give you more to work with.  The marriage certificate will give you the places where your grandparents were living at the time of their marriage - don't be shocked if they appear to be living at the same address - people did this to avoid paying for banns to be read in two different parishes.  You should also be able to see the father's names of the bride and groom, and their professions.  And, of course, you will see the date of the marriage, the occupations of the bride and groom, and (probably) their ages.  Don't forget to take note of the names of the witnesses, who could well have been family members.

The birth certificates, in addition to giving the date of birth, will give the place of birth, which you may be able to find on a census, if it is 1911 or earlier.  You can use the names of the parents to tie in with the marriage certificate, to ensure you have the right ones.  From the names and addresses of the parents on the birth certificates, you should hopefully be able to trace them on censuses, and also find their marriages.

Good luck with your hunting !  :)  There's lots of people on here to help, if you get stuck  :)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lecat35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 09:21 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your help I am waiting and yes it is taking forever. In the mean time though I know that my Nan was an orphan how can I look for that. I dont know what orphanage she was is or anything associated with that part of her life. Only that she was an orphan she told me that herself. So where do I look to find out about that issue?