Author Topic: Query about a letter signed by Winston Churchill  (Read 4435 times)

Offline chappers500

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Query about a letter signed by Winston Churchill
« on: Wednesday 04 August 10 12:27 BST (UK) »
I am in possession of a letter which was sent to my uncle, James Hogan, from Winston Churchill during WW2. It reads:

"By the King's Order the name of James Hogan, Leading Fireman, Birmingham Auxiliary Service, was published in the London Gazette on 21 March 1941 as commended for brave conduct in Civil Defence. I am charged to record His Majesty's high appreciation of the service rendered."

It then has the signature "Winston Churchill" in black followed by the text Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury.

The letter is in beige parchment with a gold crest at the top and is with a compliment slip from Central Chancery of the Orders of the Knighthood, St James Palace, SW1.

I am keen to know whether these letters were signed by Churchill himself or could they be pre-printed? It really is hard to tell from the signature itself - it looks real to me!

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Query about a letter signed by Winston Churchill
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 12:53 BST (UK) »
Probably pre-printed - sorry.

I have something similar signed by George VI sent to my great uncle on his return from the Far East where he had been a POW in Singapore.  There would have been far too many for them to be signed individually.

Nell

PS Welcome to RootsChat  :)
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Autografica

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Query about a letter signed by Winston Churchill
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 April 14 12:05 BST (UK) »
These type of printed signature is very common, and most letters of this kind with a signature of Churchill are printed. These are done to a very good standard and often judged as authentic by those who should really know better!

The easy way is to get a magnifying glass of about 8 or 10 x magnification and compare the suspect signature with a known genuine example of handwriting using a pen, this can even be your own. Once you compare the two under magnification, you will see the 'bridges and tunnels' that authentic handwriting has, compared to the solid colour of the printed signature.

I have a article on my website about these Churchill printed signatures and it can be found here. http://www.autografica.co.uk/free-autograph-guides/churchill-facsimiles

Garry King.