Author Topic: Charlestown query  (Read 4037 times)

Offline Lizzy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Older but not wise enough
    • View Profile
Charlestown query
« on: Saturday 02 April 05 11:42 BST (UK) »
The 1901 Wigan census says my husbands ancestors VEASEY came from Charlestown, Meath.  Up until this census I had only Ireland down.  But the problem is I can only find references for Charlestown in Mayo.  This board says Charlestown is in Louth.  I am now confused.  I am new to IRISH geneology and have no idea how to begin.   I am beginning to wonder if the person who wrote the census put Meath as a mistake because the neighbours were from Meath.  I don't think I can wait until 2011 to see if the next census is any clearer.  I am eager to move along now.  I need all the help anyone can provide about Irish research.  I even need help on how to move around on this site.  Lizzy
Adamson from M/C
Carter from Warrington
Davies from Dudley and Pemberton
Townsend from Ruislip and Lowton
Boyers from Rainford and Upholland
Urmston from Lowton
Unsworth from Golborne
Leyland, Hill, Mason, Hyland and Clarke from Wigan
Parkes from Sedgley
Hampson from Upholland
Veasey from somewhere in Ireland

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Charlestown query
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 April 05 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Lizzy,

http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/ - 12k IreAtlas Townland search shows Charlestown as being in Co. Louth. Meath and Louth are neighbouring counties. Whilst I do not exactly where it is situated in the county I would be inclined not to worry too much over this point.

I live in Co. Down, about 20 miles from Belfast, and plan to begin making regular visits to the Public Record Office in Belfast. (the PRONI contains a lot of records prior to 1922 for the old Province of Ulster - whilst this does not include Louth they do have some details about Co. Louth in the Diocesean Records). Most of the research I will be doing there will be on behalf of other people. At the moment I'm trying to search my maternal line and have a problem similar to yours - the ancestors lived in Norway and apart from Great Grandfather the others appear to have remained there. 

Names and dates are useful when starting a search. Approximate dates are better than nothing. As you get more information you may well discover the exact dates. The branch of the Christian faith followed by the Vesey family is important. There's little point searching for them in the records of a church which they did not attend.

Have a look at Some Irish Genealogy Links on this board. These contain a lot of useful information about research in Ireland.

Christopher

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charlestown query
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 01:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Lizzy,

Just stumbled on this post and despite its age note you are still using the boards.

The Veasey/Vesey family in Ireland were an ecclesiastical family which came to prominence about 1700 in Galway,Tyrone and Dublin with the purchase of land under the forfeited estates arrangements. More particularly John Vesey Bishop of Tuam bought 2000 acres from James Browne and Thomas Burke in the parish of Crossboyne,Claremorris.
 Whilst the main branch of the family married into other landed estate families, minor members would no doubt have been assimilated into the general population over time. The estates were later vested in the Congested Districts Bord during 1913 to 1915.
The Vesey families in the main can be found residing in a triangle from Charlestown to Lisacul and Castlereagh. Of course there are others elsewhere in Connacht but the greater concentration are to be found in this area.