Author Topic: St Mary Moorfields Finsbury Circus  (Read 7931 times)

Offline shazs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
St Mary Moorfields Finsbury Circus
« on: Thursday 05 August 10 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My 4x great grandmother Mary Ann de Nicolas was buried at St Mary Moorfields in 1826. The position of grave is marked as Vault 5.

As the church was pulled down in 1899, and replaced by the present church in Eldon Street, can anyone tell me what happened to the burial ground?

Many thanks,

Sharon
Day - Erdington / Aston, Birmingham
Smith - Erdington
Wragg - Birmingham, Ashover Derbyshire
Rabin - Erdington , Claverdon
Hastings - Coleshill
Butler - Curdworth
Fletcher - Willenhall
Wootton - Willenhall
de Nicolas - Spain , London , Birmingham & Plymouth
Clarke - Birmingham
Driscoll- Cobh,Cork Ireland
Hayman - Birmingham, Devon
Lovesey - Eynsham, Witney, Oxfordshire, Birmingham

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Mary Moorfields Finsbury Circus
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 August 10 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

What usually happens when a churchyard or vault is cleared is there is a mass reburial of the remains in one of the large London cemeteries.
As this is a Catholic church (Catholic churches rarely deposit their records in county record offices) have you contacted the present church to see whether they can give you an answer?

http://www.stmarymoorfields.net/index.php

or the Westminster Diocesan Archives might know

http://www.catholic-heritage.net/ParticipatingInstitutions/DioceseofWestminster/tabid/192/Default.aspx

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shazs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 August 10 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for that,  I've had a reply from St Mary Moorfield saying  the bodies from the previous Church were taken away to be buried at Waverly Avenue, Wembley and the best place to find further information would be the Diocesan Archivist.

So I've sent of another email to the Diocesan Archivist and hopefully I'll track down the grave as I'm a bit puzzled that there doesn't seem to be a cemetery in Waverly Avenue, Wembley?

I'll update this if I get anymore information,

Thanks,

Sharon
Smith - Erdington
Hastings - Coleshill
Butler - Curdworth
Fletcher - Willenhall
Wootton - Willenhall
Clarke - Birmingham

Offline shazs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 16:21 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the help and PMs.

I've had a reply from the archivist and unfortunately they have the burial records for Mary Moorfields but no information about subsequent reburials.

But it is certainly true that a small cemetery was established on Waverley Avenue in 1899.  In 1901 a chapel was rebuilt on part of the site and used as a cemetery chapel. The cemetery is now closed and has no evidence of gravestones, with the exception of one tablet to double bass virtuoso Domenico Dragonetti.

So although I don't have an exact position for the grave I now know where the cemetery is.

Thanks,

Sharon
Smith - Erdington
Hastings - Coleshill
Butler - Curdworth
Fletcher - Willenhall
Wootton - Willenhall
Clarke - Birmingham

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 September 10 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

Thank you for giving follow up information on this cemetery. Was it only for reburials from St Mary Moorfield do you know?

Regards

Valda

Offline shazs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I don't know if the cemetery was specifically for St Mary Moorfields reburials but the new cemetery in Waverley Avenue  was opened at the same time that St Mary Moorfields cemetery was closed (1899). The email I got said it was a small cemetery so perhaps it was just for the reburials.

Sharon

P.S Looked on Google map for cemetery and found what now looks like a playing field:-

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0lh6/

Smith - Erdington
Hastings - Coleshill
Butler - Curdworth
Fletcher - Willenhall
Wootton - Willenhall
Clarke - Birmingham

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't think it is the playing field.

http://londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=BRE031

It would be much to big for the number of burials indicated and for the land to be redesignated a playing field I think there would have to have been reburials elsewhere.

I think more likely it is the small piece of land at the end of the road between Waverley Avenue and Clifton Avenue - the triangular shaped plot the otherside of the playing field.

Regards

Valda

Offline shazs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 09:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that site- I hadn't found that despite googling every variation of Waverley road cemetery. In the email I received I was told that I  could approach the nearby Catholic church of St Joseph about access. and the website you've listed confirms that.

I didn't have a very good sense of scale looking at the map- I should have zoomed the map in a bit more. I hadn't spotted that triangle, it does look the most likely place.

Thanks,

Sharon
Smith - Erdington
Hastings - Coleshill
Butler - Curdworth
Fletcher - Willenhall
Wootton - Willenhall
Clarke - Birmingham

Offline madone

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 April 12 06:54 BST (UK) »
Fuller information:

St Joseph's Catholic Church on Wembley High Road was built after the Diocese of Westminster had purchased 17 acres of land in 1899 with the idea of establishing a Catholic cemetery. The need for this was partly due to compulsory demolition of the diocesan Pro-Catholic St Mary Moorfields when Broad Street Station was built and those buried there were reinterred in the small cemetery at the end of Waverley Avenue. In 1901 a small brick chapel near Baker Street Station was dismantled and rebuilt on part of the site then known as Waverley Green, and was used as a cemetery chapel. The plan for the Catholic Cemetery was later abandoned and the church became a parish church of St Joseph's Wembley. In 1911 the Diocese sold the land for housing development, except the Waverley Avenue cemetery and the site of the old church. In 1950 a new team of priests set about building a new, larger church, the old one being too small for the congregation, which could number some 1,650 for Sunday Mass, and was structurally insecure. Plans were approved in 1955 for the church designed by Reynolds Scott and work began in 1956 on the site of the old church. In December 1957 the church opened for its first service but it was not consecrated until 1976, by Cardinal Basil Hume, the delay caused by debts to pay for the church, new organ, 2 new schools, social and youth centres and other facilities.

The cemetery in which some 200 people were interred has no evidence of gravestones today. It is closed, with gates and hedging at the boundary, paving slabs and grass. There is one tablet erected in 1968 to the only double bass virtuoso and classical composer based in Brent - Domenico Dragonetti (1763-1846). In front of St Joseph's Church is a pleasant garden with hedged areas, flower beds and lawn. To the right of the church door is a hedged shrine and memorial with informal herbaceous borders.