Author Topic: Tobin  (Read 2817 times)

Offline Jamieson

• RootsChat Member
  • Have camera can travel
    • View Profile
Tobin
« on: Thursday 05 August 10 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Canadian Cousins

I ask for your help in locating the family of Henry Tobin.

This is what I have gathered on him so far. Some this info is cut and paste from other sources.

I have Alice Tobin married to William Forbes, (my Great Grandparents) in Newhills, Aberdeen, 29 Nov 1902.

Alice's mother and father are Henry Tobin and Helen Tobin sn Gillespie.

I don't have anything on them In Manchester or Ireland. There is even a possiblity Henry Tobin was born in Quebec.

As this link suggests.. http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.canada.quebec.general/6997.2/mb.ashx

Any help in finding out more about Alice Tobins background whould be great.

This is the 1891 Aberdeen census for the Tobin family - indexed as Tobies but again - no Alice.  As she would only have been 9 at that time - it's strange

Henry Tobin 36 b Quebec Canada - roofing felt maker
Ellen   34 b Salford
Mary A   12 b Salford
Elizabeth   14 b Salford
Ellen M   5 b Newhills Aberdeen
Thomas   3   ditto
Margaret   2 ditto
Newhills ED 4 Page  17 Line 19

The folowing is cut and paste from the original post in Nov 2006

I am trying to research my father's side, and have hit a brick wall with the following:
Thomas Tobin was married to Margaret Stanton(or similar), and their children were born in Canada, according to the British Census returns.
Henry Joseph Tobin - born c1855 in Quebec,
Alice Tobin - born c 1861 in Quebec
Elizabeth Tobin -born c 1864 in Quebec.
They were in England (Salford) in the 1881 census, when Thomas was described as a widower.
Can anyone suggest where I should try for records?
I reside in Scotland.
Thanks
Aberdeen Aberdeenshire Fyvie Drumoak Dalmaik Peterculter Birse Strachan Aboyne Huntly Banchory-Devenick  -  Jamieson Greig Forbes Tobin Gillespie Cheyne Thompson Donaldson Luke Mark Maitland Findlay Silver Bannerman McDonald

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tobin
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 August 10 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamieson

This looks like it might be your family in the 1871 Census for Salford, Lancs? Some info certainly differs from the 1881 Census but Thomas seems to be consistent. A child's baptism will follow.

Thomas Tobin, 47, Porter, b. East India (indexed as Tabin)
Margaret, 40, b. Ireland
Henry J, 16, Box Maker, b. Ireland (?)
Mary A, 12, b. Canada
Aloysius, 10, b. Canada (I wonder if this one s/b Alice?)
Elizabeth, 8, b. Canada

Baptism...

Mary Ann Margaret Tobin
Born 01 Jan 1859
Baptized 23 Jan 1859
Father Thomas Tobin, Corporal of the Royal Canadian Rifle Regiment stationed at Quebec (this w/b Quebec City, Quebec, Canada)
Mother Margaret Stanton
At St Patrick's Church, Quebec City

I did not find any other baptisms.

I think it is possible that Thomas could have met and married Margaret in Ireland if he happened to be stationed there? I don't know anything about the forces but the RootsChat Armed Forces Board might be of help in this regard.

Polarbear

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Jamieson

• RootsChat Member
  • Have camera can travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 August 10 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Polarbear

Thanks for your search.

I'm building up a better picture of the Tobin family. Right now I am concentrating on finding the graves in Aberdeen of those I've found so far.

Next will be to trace back from Aberdeen, Manchester, and who knows where.

It's slow but rewarding work.

AJ
Aberdeen Aberdeenshire Fyvie Drumoak Dalmaik Peterculter Birse Strachan Aboyne Huntly Banchory-Devenick  -  Jamieson Greig Forbes Tobin Gillespie Cheyne Thompson Donaldson Luke Mark Maitland Findlay Silver Bannerman McDonald

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 August 10 01:57 BST (UK) »
You are very welcome.

I too have found the search is very rewarding, even if slow and with the occasional brick wall.

Happy hunting.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 01:36 BST (UK) »
It is possible that Alice may have been called "Mary Alice" (  the traditional Fr. Catholic first name Mary before chosen name for the female children : note the first 2 have first name Mary) I would look for her in another household as this name, but if you know for sure that this is the correct family and she is not found elsewhere, she may be one of those already listed... Do you have a birth cert for Alice?  ;D Same theory for Alice the auntie...

The IGI has these submissions ( also deaths listed, although no dates may be reliable without source details):
Mary Elizabeth 1877 Salford
Mary Ann Tobin 1879 Salford
Helen Mabel 1885 Newhills, Aberdeen
EXTRACTED: Archibald Robert Tobin b. Jan 9th 1886 / Christened Feb 1st  1886 Dinapore, West Bengal, India
Thomas Tobin 1887 Bucksburn, Aberdee
Margaret 1889 Aberdeen, Aberdeen
Triplets - John,  Henry,  Frances 1891 Bucksburn, Aberdeen, Scotland
Henry 1892 Bucksburn, Aberdeen, Scotland
Joseph1894 Bucksburn, Aberdeen, Scotland

There are some early 1800 extracted births & christenings
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/customsearchresults.asp?LDS=1&region=1&last_name=tobin
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com