Author Topic: INDIA: SHADWELL and INGLIS in Durgapore  (Read 21583 times)

Offline judycannon

• I am sorry but my emails are not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
INDIA: SHADWELL and INGLIS in Durgapore
« on: Thursday 05 August 10 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi name is Judy I am a new starter at the family search but have reading through some of your chats. I went to a boarding school in Darjeeling called St Andrews and remember going up to St Paul's for evening church services on a Sunday. My father also worked in Durgapore in 1959 at the new steel works.  Prior to that we lived in Assam my father was involved with A&J Main building the tea drying sheds.
Can you give me any hints and tips for my family search My mother was old British Raj and it is her family I am trying to find so far not much luck. The names I am searching are Shadwell and Inglis

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: INDIA: Resources for Ancestors in British India
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 August 10 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy

I was at St Paul's from 1958 to the end of 1960 and we also lived in Durgapur. Dad worked at the new steel plant for Wellman, Smith and Owen. It would be good to have a chat with a fellow ex-Durgaporian! Once you have 3 posts on the board you can use the PM (Personal Message) system to communicate.

I can only suggest relocating your search to the main "Other Countries" board so that more people see it.
Add as much information as you can ie where your mother was born and if possible the name of her parents. It all helps eradicate other people of the same name that just cloud the issue.

Tony

Later: Forgot to say "Welcome to Rootschat!"
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: INDIA: Resources for Ancestors in British India
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 August 10 12:35 BST (UK) »

Hi Judy

All I can find so far :-

Louise Maud Inglis - Father George Inglis

Marriage to Victor Arthur Shadwell 12th January 1915 at Allahabad, Bengal

Is this the family?

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline judycannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: INDIA: SHADWELL and INGLIS in Durgapore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 August 10 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony Yes those are my grandparents where and how did you find them?
The things I remember about Durgapure wherer the flat roofed bungalows, and the swimming pool.
Did you used to fly up to Darjeeling from Calcutta when you were going back to school we were probably on the same flight how good is that, .
this is my first contact with anybody from those days
Judy

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 August 10 13:51 BST (UK) »

Hi Judy,

I found your grandparents on FamilySearch Record search. It seems Inglis and Shadwell are quite thick on the ground in India!

Yes, we used to fly up to Bagdogra in old Dakotas and then it was either Jeeps or the "Toy Train" up to Darj. I've been back to India a couple of times recently, Calcutta and Darjeeling  for school reunions, but never made it back to Durgapur. I doubt we'd recognise the place as it's now a city of approx one million people! I have been on google earth and found the club and our old houses ( B and C bungalows). That area is basically unchanged. I've formed a Yahoo group for us old expats but, apart from photos and the like, no-one seems to have found the site. I'll let you have the web address by PM as soon as you have more than 3 posts on the board.

Tony

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 August 10 20:55 BST (UK) »

Hi Judy,

Just a query on St Andrews - was it known by a different name at any time? You know it existed, and I know it existed, but I can't find any reference to it in Hazel Innes Craig's book about the hill schools. Nor can I find an Alumni Association for it!
I had a feeling that at some stage it was amalgamated into St Pauls, but the only reference to anything like that was the amalgamation of Eden Falls, Mark Tully's (the BBC India correspondent) old school, and St Pauls.
Did you also come up to St Pauls for the school plays?

Tony

Offline judycannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 August 10 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

I don't know if St Andrews Church of England School changed names at any time. I have never been able to find any reference to it either so you could be right that it amalgamated with St Paul's, but in my time St Paul's was a boys only school, and we were co-ed only up to the age of 12.
Thank you for your help with the family search site I have found loads of information, but I am unable to find a wife for my 1st forefather even though he had at least 3 children, any clues?? His name was John Augustus Shadwell born 1783 in London and went out to India with the 1st battalion of 18Th foot and ended up a Lieutenant in The 66th when he died in 1830. This search has got me enthralled I cant seem to put it away. Many thanks again
Judy

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 August 10 12:03 BST (UK) »

Hi Judy,

I'll get the thinking cap on with regard to John Augustus! There should definitely be a health warning posted to these sites!!

Re St Andrews. Have a look at the following link - (you need to scroll a way down the page for the messages)

http://wikimapia.org/1044129/St-Andrew-s-School-Darjeeling-Courtsey-Satyabrata-singh

There appear to be a few pupils from the 50s and 60s who have left comments - but no contact details.

I'll send you a PM with the Durgapur site details

Tony

Offline Judy Cannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 August 10 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony thanks for the link to St Andrews I have posted a message on the site but it looks as if it has been a while since it was last used. You never know. I cant remember going up to St Pauls for anything other than the evening church service I used to feel quite intimidated by the place,it was so big. Ding this search has brought back so many memories