Author Topic: INDIA: SHADWELL and INGLIS in Durgapore  (Read 21635 times)

Offline judycannon

• I am sorry but my emails are not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: INDIA: SHADWELL and INGLIS in Durgapore
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 August 10 10:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all that information which one of the 3 was your forebear? I have never been able to find any information about the Henry Shipp generation, he was my next in line. I was looking in to the unusual  middle names and had come to the conclusion they were families that John Augustus was friendly with. I can imagine the early days as a 16-17 year old in stange country they would have all been drawn together as a tight group. My husband and I emigrated to Australia in 1970( we are home again now) but I know how important our friends were then.
Thank you again I will look into all the new information.
Judy

Offline judycannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 August 10 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony, I thought I had had found a son as well George Gray  Inglis born 21/6/1885 in Allahabad do you think I am on a wrong track there? christened 18/2/1886 and died on 29/9/1938

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 August 10 10:36 BST (UK) »

Hi Judy

I think you're right. George Gray's parents are shown as George and Letitia.There's also a marriage recorded for a George Grey Inglis to a Rosalind Adeline Johans in 1931. The birth year for George is about 5 years out (1890) but that wasn't unusual, plus his father is shown as George William Inglis.

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline judycannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 August 10 11:37 BST (UK) »
He was actually a surprise to me  too, we had never heard of an uncle  I can only remember the aunts as a yougster, so where he disappeared to I dont know.
Judy

Offline Londoner2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 21 August 10 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy.
I am descended from John Bird Shadwell.  When I was in touch with the descendants of his second wife some years ago, I think there was a mention that a couple of generations back their family was in touch with other Shadwells in the Calcutta area, descended from Henry Shipp Shadwell.  I once did a google search for Shadwell on Indian websites - had to skip all the pages where 'Shadwell' refers to a birth place - and eventually did come across someone in that part of India with the surname Shadwell. But they could be descended from one other Shadwell's who were out there at the same time as John Augustus Shadwell and his children.
There is a property called something like 'Shadwell Villa' in Shillong.  

John Bird Shadwell is the J B Shadwell who applied for a grant of 1000 acres of land for a tea plantation on Dec 17th 1855, from a table in the book "Socio-economic and political problems of tea garden workers: a study of Assam" By Shyam Narain Singh, Amarendra Narain, Purnendu Kumar.  He is also quoted in one or two books - for example on the subject of white tigers (from website http://www.messybeast.com/genetics/tigers-white.htm):

It says "Lt.-Col. FT Pollok wrote in his book "Wild Sports of Burmah and Assam" (1879) "Mr. Shadwell, Assistant Commissioner in the Cossyah and Jyntiah Hills, also had two skins quite white, but when turned about in a strong light just a faint mark or two could be seen to indicate that they belonged to a tiger at all." ..."

I have about 60 letters written by Emma and John Bird Shadwell to the older three children from when they were taken to the UK by their aunt, onwards.  It must have been very hard to send your children so far and to see them so rarely - I am not certain if Emma saw them again before she died, but I think perhaps she went to the UK once.  There is no mention of relatives in India in the letters. They are mostly about being good for their aunts, requesting that new 'likenesses' be sent (the damp presumably spoiled them quickly), and some chat about others living in Cherra or visiting. And much asking God to bless and keep her children safe.  In one letter Emma says she has been making something like chicken soup for an unwell neighbour, but her husband is not happy that his wife is tiring herself with this as there are others who can do it, including the neighbour's servants.  

It seems that sometimes they were struggling a bit with money - an apology for not being able to send more for the childrens' keep. As an Anglo-Indian John Bird's career in the East India Company would have had hit a specific ceiling.
There are one or two later letters, after Emma's death, in which John Bird asks about my grandmother, then a baby. He lived until about 1904 I think.

I was wondering what schools John Bird and Henry Shipp would have attended - do you have any idea?  There might be archived records.

I have photos of John Bird Shadwell's daughters Emma and either Flora or Lily (when elderly), which I will try to get uploaded at some point soon.

My great aunts always claimed that our Shadwell ancestors were descended from the Poet Laureate, but I have never been able to make the connection.  That Shadwell (who apparently may have invented the musical and was very talented in that field), claimed to be related to the aristocratic Shadwell family, and did get an official family crest etc on that basis, but I am not so sure.  The Poet Laureate had many children, and not all lines of descent have been found.

Offline Londoner2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 21 August 10 13:06 BST (UK) »
Andrew Brown of Melbourne university visited Cherrapunji when researching his book that relates to the Welsh missionaries in the area.  This article of his, link below, mentions J B and Emma Shadwell:

http://www.msp.unimelb.edu.au/eoe/index.php/missions/article/viewFile/4/25

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 21 August 10 13:31 BST (UK) »
As an Anglo-Indian John Bird's career in the East India Company would have had hit a specific ceiling.

I found this info on John Bird

Record details

Name: John Bird SHADWELL
Event type: BaptismDate: 27 NovYear: 1818
Parents: John Augustus, Cpt., H. C. 26th N.
 I.; A nativeNotes: (illeg.)
Transcribed by: British LibraryIndia Office Records Reference:

Tony

Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline Londoner2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 21 August 10 13:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's the gg grandfather. And we don't even know if he and the other two had the same mother - they all just say 'native', with no name. Sad.
I need to get down to the British Library and look for the John Augustus Shadwell cadet record - is that the right one - that should say where he was living when he first joined the EIC.

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 21 August 10 14:04 BST (UK) »

Did he join the EIC as a soldier? They did have their own Army after all, although the record states that he was a Captain H.C. (Household Cavalry?) 26th N (26th Division North?) and located at Fort William. Did the EIC have their own version of the Household Cavalry?

The present Fort William was built in Calcutta in 1781
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_William_(India)

Tony