Author Topic: INDIA: SHADWELL and INGLIS in Durgapore  (Read 21634 times)

Offline Londoner2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: INDIA: SHADWELL and INGLIS in Durgapore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 21 August 10 14:35 BST (UK) »
I have to research this - most of the family history that I have was researched by my second cousin once removed years ago.  Was the army out there in 1830 or was it mainly the EIC. When did the crown or UK govt take over from the EIC?  I also need to check in the St Mary's Church Marylebone parish records. The only John Augustus Shadwell mention I have found is from their records.  It would be good to find his parents and where they were from - then we might get an idea of whether or not these are Shadwells from the main well-known Shadwell families of lawyers, chancellors, doctors etc.  I think there are two distinct families, one from the Norfolk area, Poet Laureate etc who moved to Ireland at some point (being R Catholic at the wrong point in history I think?), and one from the midlands with the titles.  There are Irish Shadwells who married into the Mitchells of Mitchellstown or somewhere similar, and moved to their Bristol estate - some of these were in Surrey I think later on.  Randy Ingham from the Shadwell genealogy boards researches the Irish Shadwells, as they are in his ancestry.  Unwanted English landlords I guess! 

Offline judycannon

• I am sorry but my emails are not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 21 August 10 14:46 BST (UK) »
The East India Company, from what I can gather, were  the Indian Army in those days they recruited, trained and deployed the troops in India until the Indian Rebellion in 1857. I think it was only after that their influence was restrained, and the running of British India came under the influence of the government in Westminster its all very interesting, and I still have a lot of reading to do. I have down loaded the book by Andrew Brown-May should make interesting reading I lived very close to the Kassi Hills in Jorhort in Assam, so proves even more the family link. I have just started reading a book by Saul David called the Indian Mutiny it has a lot of information
Judy

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 21 August 10 15:00 BST (UK) »
  The East India Company, from what I can gather, were  the Indian Army in those days they recruited, trained and deployed the troops in India until the Indian Rebellion in 1857.

Quite right Judy, the British Crown took over the running of India in 1858 under the Government of India act 1858. The EIC was finally disolved in 1874.

Addictive, isn't it!!

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline judycannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 21 August 10 15:06 BST (UK) »
Too True
I think my husband of 40years is about to divorce me!! i had better go and feed him
Judy

Offline Londoner2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 21 August 10 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi. Here is some of the information I have from India Office Library BMB records:

Lt Col. John Augustus Shadwell (b.1783) was an officer in the Bengal Army when he died on Sept 1st  1830. 
He was serving as Lieutenant in 26th Native Infantry in Cawnpore in 1805. Captain in 26th Native Infantry in 1818. Major in the 66th Native Infantry in 1824.

Children:
1. Jane Shadwell (illegitimate)
Birth 1805. 
Christened 1808 Fort William, Calcutta, India. Aged 3.

2. John Bird Shadwell b.1818 Bengal, India

3. Henry Shipp Shadwell

John Bird Shadwell m. Emma Brockway (she was aged 23) 31st Aug 1849 Calcutta, in the Cathedral.

JB Shadwell was an adjutant in the political agents office in Cherrapunji at the time. In 1850 and 1852 he was a writer in the Office of the Political Commissioner of Assam. 1862 Assistant Commissioner.  1868 (Thackers Bengal Directory) listed among the Uncovenanted Servants as Deuputy Collector and Deputy Magistrate 3rd Class, Cosdeah and Jynteah Hills, Assam.  1869 and 1873 Extra Assistant Commissioner of Assam, living at Jonea. 1878 Extra Assistant Commissioner.

In 1882, 1886, 1890 and 1896 he was Managing Agent to H Inglis & Co., Chattuck, Sylhet - they were Lime and Orange Merchants.
In 1891 described as a government pensioner, living at Chatak, Sylhet (at time of second marriage). 
By the time Flora Shadwell married in 1883 he is described as a gentleman, which suggests he had retired by then.

Children of the first marriage:

Emma (b 1850 Cherrapunji) (this is my great grandmother)
St Clair Brockway (1852-1917) He was a doctor, became MoH to Walthamstow.
Flora Elizabeth Darley (b 1854)
Howard Brockway (1856 - 1905)
Lilian Brockway (b. 1862)
May Brockway (b.1867)

Could the H Inglis & Co that John Bird Shadwell worked for after retirement be related to your Inglis ancestry, or is it a coincidence?

Offline Londoner2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 22 August 10 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi. The only information I have for Henry Shipp Shadwell is that he was baptised 23rd June 1824 at Dinapore (John Augustus Shadwell was a Major in the 66th NI at the time), and he married Ellen Catherine (surname?). In 1853 they had a daughter Sophia Ellen. Henry was a 'writer' at the time (clerk?).  Do you have more of his family history? It would be interesting to know more about him.

John Augustus's antecedents - a Canadian branch of the family, descended from John Bird and Emma, were told that they were descended from Thomas Shadwell, Poet Laureate. This was most likely passed down the family from Emma Shadwell, eldest daughter of JB and Emma.

Offline Londoner2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 22 August 10 02:28 BST (UK) »
And hi again!
John Bird Shadwell's second marriage - in case anyone recognises any of the names of the Khasi relatives:

John Bird Shadwell m. Lucca Langstieh, 1892?, Calcutta.

Children:
1  Renwith Shadwell (he married into the Surong Clan), had three children, Nick, Oz and Minie.

2  Cliff Shadwell ("Klip", married into the Pakyntein Clan). He became an administrative officer at Jowai. His ashes are in the grounds of Emma Villa. had three children, Caroline  Archie and Bamfield:

Caroline (no issue); Archie, the late A.F.N. Shadwell of Nongrim (? spelling) Hills. No children, and Bamfield had four children.

3   Edwin Shadwell (married into the Kharmalki Clan).  He had four children, Silvia, Theodora, Alexander and Diana. His daughter Silvia had two children, Patta (Clan Kh.Malki) and Ditta (also m. into Kh.Malki clan).These two may still be alive.

4   Len Shadwell (married into the Laloo Clan, Ms Nerie Laloo?). He became a Superintendent of Police at Shillong. When Mr Ballantyne from the UK took over the post, Len went back to Emma Villa, and is buried there. His son Douglass (m. into Hunniewta clan) was living with his wife and family in Mawlai ten years ago, but was very old then.

5   Violet Edwina Shadwell, married Henry A Davies (they had no children so the matrilineal line from Lucca Langstieh was broken). Violet died on 2/2/1972. Her funeral was at Cherrapunji.  Mr H A Davies sold Emma Villa in Cherrapunji to the Catholic Church Cherrapunji on 12th June 1983. He died on 1st July 1985.

The house that John Bird Shadwell and Emma lived in, Emma Villa, is at Kut Madan, Cherrapunji. The Langstieh family cemetery is there in the grounds. There is a plaque there to Emma Shadwell, and John Bird Shadwell's grave, plus Shadwell Langstieh graves. Lucca Langstieh's grave is there as well.

According to descendants of Lucca Langstieh's sister, the four Shadwell boys from the second marriage were the first among the Khasi people to be sent to Calcutta for a decent education - there was an uncle in Calcutta (I guess they might have stayed with him?).
This might have been Henry Shipp Shadwell or one of his family.

Renwith and Edwin - one of them was running Lucca Shadwell Langstieh's Lime Company at Ichmati on the southern side of Cherrapunji (now in Bangla Desh). The other brother was in the Ropeway Company then run by British people.

Offline judycannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 22 August 10 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Londoner 2 You have so much information did you get it all from the British library records? I have no information about Henry Shipp other than his marriage to Ellen Catherine we think her name was Kayne but not 100% sure they had 4 children that I can find
Ellen Jane I think died shortly after or at birth
William Earle Shadwell born 16th April 1849  who is my next in line married Blanche Adelaide Fritschy it was her 2nd marriage her maiden  name was Hampton daughter of Henry George Hampton
Henry Thomas born 1847
Sophia Ellen born 1854
That is really all the information I have. I think I am going to have to come down to London for a few days and trawl the records.
I haven't got very far with the Inglis side either there are so many of them.
My grandfather was a son of William Earle and Blanche Adelaide his name was Victor Arthur married Louisa Maud Inglis. I can remember as a young child meeting relatives in Calcutta, but who I do not remember but you could be right that the Uncle was Henry Shipp. How do I go about finding that kind of information? I would be really interested to follow that but I dont know where to start

Offline Londoner2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 22 August 10 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy.
Luckily my second cousin x times removed (I am going to stick to 'cousin', it is easier), and another relative whom I never met did loads of footslogging, years ago. They saw parish records, researched in the India Office records, etc. My 'cousin' is very thorough and always made sure every entry on the family tree was confirmed in proper records.  Most of his information is on the Brockway side of the family (Emma who married John Bird Shadwell was Emma Brockway. Her father was William Brockway from Wiltshire).  Then I also received a Langstieh sisters family tree and info from someone in India.  My mother, who passed away recently, had a few snippets of information, a few items of Indian gold jewellery, a few wooden toys from India that were passed down the family to her, and the sixty letters from India.  I found a few records online that filled in some gaps - including the fact that  John Bird Shadwell was anglo-indian and his second wife a Khasi businesswoman.

Other Shadwell researchers have been helpful as well - for elimination of unrelated Shadwell families, for suggestions, and because they often had found 'my' Shadwells in the course of their searches.   

So it was mostly not my own efforts! Though I have spent long hours lost in the furthest reaches of google searches, especially when looking for relevant Shadwells, as it is the name of several places around the world, a horse stud, some famous US ranch or something, the poet laureate, well known past musician or two, plus all the references to the Staffordshire Shadwells, Irish Shadwells, Sussex Shadwells, American Shadwells .....  I used to start at Page 25 of the Google Shadwell search just trying to get clear of the poet laureate.