Author Topic: INDIA: SHADWELL and INGLIS in Durgapore  (Read 21638 times)

Offline Londoner2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: INDIA: SHADWELL and INGLIS in Durgapore
« Reply #54 on: Friday 03 September 10 02:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew - I should have remembered that information!  But it is quite a while since I have had free time for Shadwell research.

What other journals etc would be useful for tracking Bengal ancestors who do not appear much in EIC records, and for picking up the local news of the period?  So far, I have not found anything much on Henry Shipp Shadwell, J B Shadwell's brother, so I need to look further afield. 

Looking forward to reading that book ...

Offline judycannon

• I am sorry but my emails are not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 03 September 10 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
Andrew you seem to have a great deal of information, I am searching a link between Shadwell and Inglis, so far found very little about Inglis family, The Shadwells have been fabulous thanks to Londoner2. How are you Vivienne?  Can you give me any ideas where to go for Inglis information, The family seem to have stayed around the Allahabad region for many years, and my Grandfather worked for Pioneer Press I think as a photographer. My grandfather was the son of William Earle Shadwell.
My mothers generation ended up in Assam, but I dont know how or when. Also looking forward to the book about the Khasi Hills I remember them well.
Thanking you
Judy

Offline Londoner2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 04 September 10 00:29 BST (UK) »
Hi all.

I am uploading a Brockway photo for Knysh, which has not scanned in very well. My mother said that it is probably Mary Ann Brockway, one of Emma Brockway's sisters. If that is correct, she would be sister-in-law to J B Shadwell.

Offline AMOz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 06 September 10 22:52 BST (UK) »
Judy — I'm working on it, but I can't actually find any connection between your Inglises and the Inglis family at Chhatak and in the Khasi Hills. According to his 1850 will, George Inglis of Chhatak (born c. 1774, father of Harry Inglis) had 8 children — Harry, John, George, Jane, Elizabeth, Sarah and Mary Ann — but no William, who as a contemporary was the father of your George.

Offline judycannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew Thank you for looking. I'll keep delving and see what I can find. I was talking to my mum today she say's the name Charles rings a bell so I'll go down that line for a while and see what I find.
Thanks again
Judy

Offline suzyqmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 19 January 12 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I have been reading your messages about the Shadwells in India. My grandmother was born in Calcutta in 1915 and her name was Blanche Shadwell. She married George Oliver. If there is any information that you have could you please pass on.

Thanks Sue

Offline judycannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 20 January 12 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue, I tried to post a reply yesterday but don't know if it has gone or not so I will try again.
Blanche Mary Shadwell born about 1915 was the daughter of Walter William Woodhouse Shadwell and Mary (Weir) Ross.
Walter was born 21/6/1884 in India and died in England, I dint have a date
Mary was born about 1882 and died on26/12/1926 in Barrackpore
Walter was the brother of my grandfather Victor Arthur Shadwell
Their Father was William Earle Shadwell born 16/2/1849 in Seharanpore and died 13/9/1901
Their Mother was Blanche Adelaide Fritschy (nee Hampton) her 2nd marriage
His Father was Henry Shipp Shadwell born about 1824 in Dinapore Bengal
Mother was Ellen Catherine Kaine born about 1827and died 24/10/1854
His father was Lt. Colonel John Augustus Shadwell born on 23/7/1783 in London and died 1/9/1830 in Barrackpore
I have bits and pieces of information if you would like anything more please let me know

Regards  Judy

Offline AndreaBlack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 06 January 14 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi name is Judy I am a new starter at the family search but have reading through some of your chats. I went to a boarding school in Darjeeling called St Andrews and remember going up to St Paul's for evening church services on a Sunday. My father also worked in Durgapore in 1959 at the new steel works.  Prior to that we lived in Assam my father was involved with A&J Main building the tea drying sheds.
Can you give me any hints and tips for my family search My mother was old British Raj and it is her family I am trying to find so far not much luck. The names I am searching are Shadwell and Inglis

Offline AndreaBlack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 06 January 14 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Judy Cannon from St Andrews, Darjeeling, 1956 -1959. My name is Andrea Black. I was the only American at the school. I considered you one of my best friends at St. Andrews. I am in touch with Jackie Booth. If you would like to correspond please write back