Author Topic: INDIA: SHADWELL and INGLIS in Durgapore  (Read 21633 times)

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: INDIA: SHADWELL and INGLIS in Durgapore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 August 10 19:58 BST (UK) »

Hi Judy,

Re John Augustus

There is a marriage of a John Shadwell to Esther Jones @ Saint Marylebone, London. Could that be JA's father?
There are then a poss 3 marriages for a John Shadwell in England at around the time JA would have been of marriage age - one in Wilts. one in Berks., and one in Hampshire. (All via FamilySearch)

I have JA's death as 1st Sept 1830 at Barrackpore, Bengal

(Link to Barrackpore http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrackpore

The only child I can find is John Bird Shadwell b. 27th Nov 1818 in Calcutta. There is a marriage record for John Bird to Emma Brockway on the 31st Jan 1849. Unfortunately there was no mother listed on the wedding details!

If I find anything else- or if you do .....................!

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline Judy Cannon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 August 10 20:09 BST (UK) »
Yes John and Esther were JA parents I hadn't thought about him being married before he left for India I'll look into that. There was another son Henry Shipp  and he is the next link in the family chain and also a daughter Jane who I think married into the Earle family, and there is no mother listed on them either!
Thanks
Judy

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 August 10 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy and Tony,

Have you checked out the India office Family History Search ? http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/Home.aspx

There is quite a lot on the Shadwell family - and the Earles. It records for instance that John Bird was the illegitimate son of John Augustus and that his mother was a native.

Regards,
Phil
Goater, Smith, Henning, Scarlett, Lucas, Abraham, Langdale, Parker, Read, Curtis, Arm, Franklin, Bryant, Hart, Earl, White, Welch, Howard, Bateman, Hutchinson, Hunter, Lawes, Rogers, Brixey......

Offline Judy Cannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 August 10 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil
Thanks for that I will check it out but those my  thoughs as well, my cousin and I have always believed that there was a mixed marriage somewhere along the line.
Thanks
Judy

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 August 10 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy,

Have you seen this link

http://www.sumgenius.com.au/earle_family_tree.htm

I also found a record of an Emma Shadwell buried at Cherra in Assam

http://kabristan.org.uk/

Incidently, where were your family in Assam? A friend of mine has a tea plantation (Banamalie Tea Estate) in Dibrugarh.

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline judycannon

• I am sorry but my emails are not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 August 10 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony The first thing I found was the Earle family link, but unfortunately it doesn't give much information I have tried to contact the email link but it seems to be discontinued which is a great shame.
The Tea Gardens in Assam were Soklatinga where I was born and my Aunt and Uncle were in Negrating, Silcha and Isabeel.  I dont think my Father took to Tea Gardening and went back to his Engineering pretty soon after I was born and we then lived in Jorhart. My Dad went out to India,  after the war and from what I can gather he went to work at my Aunt and Uncle's tea garden where he met my Mum. She was the baby of the family, they lost their parents when she was 10 (mum) and 18( dad ) so my Aunt brought her up.
It must have been agreat shock to her system when my Dad brought her back to the UK in 1960 she had never had to cook a meal or was the clothes etc as well as look after my brother and I.   Something you don't appreciate when you are child.
Judy

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 August 10 14:24 BST (UK) »

Hi Judy

I can imagine your mothers shock coming to England! I had a similar experience when we came back and had to find a school for me. After the tight discipline and educational standards of St Paul's, I found it difficult to adjust, and still wish I could have finished my schooling in the Himalaya.

To relive some of the township in Durgapur go to Wikimapia and type in Durgapur Club, India. From the menu at the side look for Durgapur Club Ondal. That will take you to the swimming pool. I found my way to our two bungalows from there!

Meanwhile the search goes on.................. ;D

Tony

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 August 10 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy,

Re St Andrews - Have you seen this? 
http://groups.google.com/group/st-andrews-school-darjeeling/about

I've done a little more digging on the Inglis side of your family. This is what I have so far:-

George Inglis - born 1841  Father William Inglis
                        married Letitia Wright 12 Oct 1869 @ Allahabad
                        died 9 Oct 1890
                        buried 10 Oct Allahabad
Letitia Wright   born 2 Oct 1850
                        died  17 May 1925

Children of George and Letitia:-
                                                  Ellen Letitia
                                                  b. 2 Oct 1871
                                                  d. 10 Nov 1894
                                                  Henrietta Alice Matilda
                                                  b. 16 Aug 1873
                                                  d. 25 Apr 1893
                                                  Blanche Kathleen
                                                  b. 22 Apr 1879
                                                  M. 26 Feb 1910 to Vernon Reginald Stuart
                                                  Louisa Maud - also written as Louise Maud
                                                  b. 7 Nov 1881/7*
                                                  m. 12 Jan 1915 to Victor Arthur Shadwell
                                                  Lillian Mary Anne
                                                  b. 17 Oct 1877
                                                  m. 14 Feb 1917 to Arthur Wallace Horsfall

*Louisa/e Maud's birth is given as both 1881 and 1887. I assume that someone has mistaken the 1 for a 7 or vice versa, although records show her Christening as 6 Jan 1882!

Tony

Offline Londoner2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 August 10 04:08 BST (UK) »
Hi - if John Augustus Shadwell was a forefather of yours, then you are possibly a very remote cousin of mine. 
The mother/s of the three children is just listed as being 'native', no name or names (British Library India Office records).

Jane Shadwell  married Earle  (I once had email contact with an Earle researcher, but he had no information on Jane Shadwell other than the fact of the marriage and children).

John Bird Shadwell married Emma Brockway (she and her sister went out to India, where she met him).

Henry Shipp Shadwell

John Bird Shadwell and Emma had half a dozen children, born in Cherrapunji (one or two in Shillong maybe).  John Bird Shadwell was stationed at Cherrapunji, where he was a 'reader', and he wrote about the hill people's languages and customs I believe (I wonder whether this work survives somewhere). 
Emma eventually died of fever when they were out and about round the hill villages, so she is not buried at Cherrapunji, though there is a plaque to her there. They lived at Emma Villa, and John Bird Shadwell is buried there in what is now the Langstieh family graveyard.
John Bird Shadwell remarried a while later. Emma Villa should have continued in the ownership of the women of the second marriage family, as with the matrilinial property inheritance tradition, but it was sold to the Catholic church, I believe.

The first three of John Bird and Emma's children were sent to the UK to live with Emma's sisters, and the three younger ones followed later, after Emma's death, so all were brought up in the UK.

I have not managed to track John Augustus Shadwell's line back any further.  All I know is that my mother was told that he was over-fond of alcohol.  Not very helpful. I would guess from the middle names of his children that he was friends with a Bird family and a Shipp family in India.