Author Topic: WWI Casuality - help with translation of military terminology/medal card etc  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Sophie30

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi all

I wondered if anyone can help?

I am trying to find out some more information about my great grandfather who died in WWI. His name was Frederick Rusgrove and he was Bombadier in the Royal Garrison Artillery 230th Siege Bty. This in itself means very little to me - if anyone with military knowledge can explain what this means I would be grateful. What is a bombadier and what regiment is the Royal Garrison Artillery - 230th Siege Bty? Would he have been on the frontline operating the heavy guns - I'm simply guessing?

As he was the only Frederick Rusgrove listed as a casualty of the first world war his details have been quite easy to find but I would love to know more or be able to piece together the details I have found to get a picture of his activities in France before he was killed. I know he died on 4th May 1917 but I do not know how long he had been in France, whether he died in the field or made it to a hospital or what battle (if this would be known) he died in.  Does anyone have any experience of tracing this sort of information - if so i would be really grateful of any pointers in the right direction to be able to find out more.

I do have a copy of his medal card, however it is a mystery to me as I dont understand the abbreviations. I have attached in the hope someone may have a knowledge of these and may be able to help me deciper. I understand he received a medal, which was not collected by his widow until much later as she moved to Torronto shortly after he killed and must have collected it only on her return - it is with my fathers cousin. There are no family stories of bravery/heroics so I assume it was the medal that I am told all fighting soldiers were issued.

I am very proud of my great grandfather and his efforts in the war, even though I never knew him and wear my poppy every year with pride. I would love to be able to find out more about what happened to him and would really welcome any help anyone can give in pointing me in the right direction of where I can find more. I believe some war diaries exist, but wouldn't know where to start in tracking down his units diary as I dont really understand exactly which regiment etc he was with.

If anyone has any military/WWI or medal card understanding and knowledge and could offer any pointers of advice of where to go next I would very much appreciate it. I feel I owe it to my great grandfather to help keep his memory alive.

I have attached the medal card in the hope someone may know what the abreviations mean. i may be able to get a better copy if its not clear although the copy i have downloaded is fairly grainy! I hope it attaches this time - I have tried twice with no success! Very new at this!!

Thank you, thank you!!

Moderator comment: image removed.  Only small portions of such copyright images may be posted to assist with deciphering poor or bad handwriting.

For guidance on the notation on the card, this link may help

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/medals.htm

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WWI Casuality - help with translation of military terminology/medal card etc
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 August 10 16:56 BST (UK) »
The rank or strictly appointment of Bombardier moved your man up one step from Gunner.  Gunner is equivalent to an infantry Private, Bombardier to Lance Corporal.  He would wear a single stripe or chevron on the upper sleeves and would have some degree of responsibility within his gun crew.  After WW1, Bombardiers wore two stripes and were equivalent to Corporal.
The Royal Garrison Artillery was the branch of the Royal Artillery which handled larger and more static guns than those you may have seen on the Queen's Birthday Parades and other ceremonial duties.  They would be postioned some way behind the trench lines and would be used to counter enemy artillery and to destroy their trenches.  The enemy would of course be aiming at them too, so being behind the lines was no escape!
The Long Long Trail website will tell you more:
http://www.1914-1918.net/
The medal index card shows that he earned the Victory and British War Medals, but not the 1914-15 Star, which probably means that he did not serve in France and Flanders until say 1916.
There is a small chance that his service papers have survived - over 60% were lost in the 1940 Blitz.  If they have, you may be able to download them via Ancestry, or see them at the National Archives.
The 'Roll' and 'Page' columns refer to the medal rolls themselves, only available by visiting the National Archives or using an agent, but there may not be much more anyway.
I have just looked at the LLT and see that the 230rd Siege Bty arrived in France on 18 Jan 1917.  There is a picture of a howitzer in action, but there were other guns used.
Others may be able to guide you towards War Diaries for the unit, as I am not familiar with them.
Hope this helps.
A

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WWI Casuality - help with translation of military terminology/medal card etc
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 August 10 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, not sure if you have a photo of his grave, but you can get one from this web site. They charge £3 .

Click here for his grave photo

You could also try this web site as they have 50% of the graves photographed from that cemetery and they don't charge a penny.

Click here for possible free photo

By the way " Soldiers who died in the great war" Have him born Smethwick, Staffs and enlisted Birmingham.
Died of his wounds.

Migky  ;)

Offline Sophie30

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 August 10 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the really quick responses - you guys are so helpful (and speedy!!!).
The background information has really helped, thanks Ainslie and I will also have a look at the war graves photos - thanks Migky!

I have to say, I am so glad i found this site - I cant believe how knowledgeable everyone is and how willing to help! I wish I'd found it years ago.

Thank you!
S

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 August 10 22:37 BST (UK) »
Sophie,

He was a Special Reservist.
Explanation here: http://www.1914-1918.net/reserve.htm

Although he was with 230th Siege Battery when he died, he may have been with another battery prior to that.

I can't see any other casualties within the battery closer than 5 days previous.

The war diary will possibly give you some idea, although probably not mentioning him by name. Unfortunately it hasn't been digitised yet, so it's either a visit to Kew, or order a small section of it.

The reference is WO 95/478

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 August 10 22:50 BST (UK) »
I forgot to say  that his medals were returned unclaimed (under King's Regulation 1743). This was not uncommon, particularly if surviving family had moved house before they were issued.

Whether they remained unclaimed, or not, I can't tell.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sophie30

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 August 10 12:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Phil that is  really helpful. I had no idea he was a special reserve. I read the information on the weblink but I am still a little confused. Does that mean he signed up as a special reserve before he was called up- i.e he joined voluntarily. He was only young when he died so he didn't sign up as a special reserve in order to extend his service to a greater age.

I am confused as to the definition of a battery? And also I dont quite understand what regiment he was in (the military heirarchy is very confusing). I imagine being from Smethwick maybe something to do with Staffordshire regiments or am I getting myself totally confused.

Thanks for the information regarding his death. So it sounds as though he was the only casualty from his battery on that day. So he was either very unlucky or he maybe survived in a hospital for a few days before dying. How would I be able to check this or is there no way of knowing whether he made it to a hospital. I guess field hospitals didn't have the time or resources to be filling in paperwork in between treating casualties. I guess you can only trace soldiers who returned to a military hospital in the UK?

As for the war diary reference  - thank you so much!!!! So if I contact the archives at Kew and quote that reference I may be able to order a copy of a section of it!

Thank you for all your help - I really appreciate it. Its wonderful to be able to speak to such knowledgeable people.  I am truly amazed by the kindness of people on this site that are so willing to help!

Sophie

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 August 10 17:56 BST (UK) »
The Royal Artillery recruited all over the country, so there would be no special local link.  In the WW1 period the RA had three branches - Royal Horse Artillery, R.Field A.., and R. Garrison A...
The RA is formally the Royal Regiment of Artillery but the word Regiment is usually  omitted. 
The RGA was divided into Batteries, usually commanded by a major.  The other branches of the RA were divided into Brigades, usually commanded by a Lieutenant Colonel.
If you browse around in the Long Long Trail website you will find more about the units and formations, and the terminology used: 
http://www.1914-1918.net/

A

Offline Sophie30

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 August 10 19:17 BST (UK) »
Oh I see! Thank you that makes sense now!
Much appreciated!