Author Topic: William Charles Hoaten  (Read 4094 times)

Offline messers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Charles Hoaten
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 August 10 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

William Hooten is with his parents in Hamptead in 1891. His birthplace is given as Marylebone and he is a telegraph messenger aged 15

Most likely birth registration

Births Sep 1875   Hooton  William Henry    Pancras  1b 7

If he was a serving officer at the time of his marriage circa 1907 then it may be in the army registers not in the domestic GRO indexes

Regards

Valda

How does he go from William HENRY to William CHARLES ??? WW1 medals are issued to William C Hoaten. He is known in SA and buried in Rhodesia as William Charles.

Michelle

Michelle

Offline messers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 August 10 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

A possible marriage between Sep Qtr 1906 to Mar Qtr 1907 - small window, lots of names if one considers the many ways HOATEN might be alternatively spelled  :'(

But one entry stands out for me on FreeBMD
Mar Qtr 1907, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire
William HOOTON and Elizabeth EVANS

They are also on the Staffs BMD (which confirms they are a pair) - married Shelton St Mark Stoke on Trent.
http://www.staffordshirebmd.org.uk/

Long shot  ???

Cheers
AMBLY

Long shots sometimes are correct....... I will have to follow the line of Elizabeth Evans and see where that goes.  According to information I have, he was born in 1874/1876/1879.... and his wife born about 1886. I wonder if this ties in with the marriage you mention.

What is 'Staffs BMD'?

Thanks

Michelle

Offline messers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 August 10 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

William Hooten is with his parents in Hamptead in 1891. His birthplace is given as Marylebone and he is a telegraph messenger aged 15

Most likely birth registration

Births Sep 1875   Hooton  William Henry    Pancras  1b 7

If he was a serving officer at the time of his marriage circa 1907 then it may be in the army registers not in the domestic GRO indexes

Regards

Valda

Not sure about this birth as his WW1 medals are in the name of William Charles and so are all his documents in SA - unless he chagned his middle name on the way to or before he got to SA ???

Any idea how to look for this info in the army registers?

Thanks

Michelle

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 August 10 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

I was indicting with the records of William Henry Hooten that is was unlikely to be the same man - different name, different birthplace
Further information on William Henry

Marriages Dec 1898 
HOOTON  William Henry    Hampstead  1a 1408   
WITHERS  Kate     Hampstead  1a 1408

On the 1901 census in Marylebone a postman.

A warrant officer is a senior non-commissioned officer usually achieveing officer status through military service. So starting as an ordinary soldier. This man did not serve in the British regular army but the British South African Police.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_South_Africa_Police
http://www.bsap.org/history.html

'The British South Africa Police (BSAP) was the police force of the British South Africa Company (BSAC) of Cecil Rhodes...The organisation was formed by the BSAC in 1889 as a paramilitary, mounted infantry force in order to provide protection for the Pioneer Column of settlers which moved into Mashonaland in 1890....As a paramilitary unit, the BSAP fought in the Second Boer War and in Tanganyika during World War I.'

Other than the medal roll for the First World War I would doubt there would be any records held in this country. and no marriage in the army registers. I would think the BSAP didn't ask too many questions about a man's background.

Staffordshire BMD

http://www.staffordshirebmd.org.uk/

an index created from local registration officers instead of the central index held by the Generla Registry Office.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline messers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 August 10 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda

It seems that I have been following a dead end as I suspected. Thanks for the info and your help.

Looks like  I should follow the
                  Mar Qtr 1907, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire
                   William HOOTON and Elizabeth EVANS
track instead.

Michelle

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 August 10 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

The 1907 marriage was for a William Hooton not a William Charles. Hooton though an unusual surname isn't a rare surname so you would expect to find William Hootons as the London example has demonstrated. This William was enumerated in Stoke on Trent registration district in 1901.

1901 census RG13 2605 folio 146
51 Sandon Street Staffordshire
George Hooton 48 Head Married Labourer for a railway playter Olney Buckinghamshire
Keziah Hooton 47 Wife Married  Hanley Staffordshire
Thomas E Hooton 21 Son Labourer for a bricklayer Hanley Staffordshire
William Hooton 19 Son Hanley Staffordshire Labourer for a bricklayer Hanley Staffordshire
Keziah Hooton 8 Daughter Hanley Staffordshire

Have you found William Charles Hoaten's marriage to Mary Mabel? Did it occur in South Africa?

Regards

Valda

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 August 10 08:52 BST (UK) »
AS Ambly found for you on reply number 2- in 1899 when he sailed out to NZ he was a saddler- I can't see him being back here two years later and working as a brickie's labourer somehow?

He left London on  5 July 1899 bound for New Zealand on a ship called the MAORI- I wonder if there's any records of what he did when he got there and when he left NZ

Carol

Ooops must have misread that  :-[ it should have said Cape,South Africa...sorry 

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 August 10 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Didn't he go to South Africa in 1899 to fight in the Boer War?

Travel: London  to the Cape, SthA 1899
Wm HOATEN b abt 1874
This lists him as occupartion:  Saddler age 25

Regards

Valda

Offline messers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 August 10 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

The 1907 marriage was for a William Hooton not a William Charles. Hooton though an unusual surname isn't a rare surname so you would expect to find William Hootons as the London example has demonstrated. This William was enumerated in Stoke on Trent registration district in 1901.

1901 census RG13 2605 folio 146
51 Sandon Street Staffordshire
George Hooton 48 Head Married Labourer for a railway playter Olney Buckinghamshire
Keziah Hooton 47 Wife Married  Hanley Staffordshire
Thomas E Hooton 21 Son Labourer for a bricklayer Hanley Staffordshire
William Hooton 19 Son Hanley Staffordshire Labourer for a bricklayer Hanley Staffordshire
Keziah Hooton 8 Daughter Hanley Staffordshire

Have you found William Charles Hoaten's marriage to Mary Mabel? Did it occur in South Africa?

Regards

Valda

Hi Valda

This is not my guy - he was in SA in 1899, went back to UK in 1906 and returned in 1907 with wife E(Elizabeth). Thanks for the info.

No marriage cert to Mabel Mary - they were married in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) who have nothing online and the government has made it almost impossible to get information from Zim. Probably have to wait for Robert Mugabe to die before any records are readily available .......

Michelle