Author Topic: How do I trace an Irish birth  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
How do I trace an Irish birth
« on: Saturday 02 April 05 14:37 BST (UK) »
 :-[ Hi, could someone please tell me how to get hold of an Irish birth certificate? Seem to have ran myself round in circles on the web trying to find some info.

Do I have to send off to Dublin or do I hope that they have info at the local office?

I have had some trouble trying to get certs from English offices in the last few months, if its not on the BMD site then you cant have it! or so it seems.

I am trying to get a John Patrick Callaghan B. 1844 Killarney, father John Callaghan.

I do not have any other info apart from that, so where would I go?

Cheers
Keren ;D
Callaghan (Ireland,liverpool and st Helens 1840 to 1881.)  Scotland (liverpool pre 1860) Kiernan, Ritchie (Ireland, salford), Clarke ,Barton (salford greengates and Harpurhey/blackley up to 1930) griffiths, Robson, (Barton on Irwell, Irlam and West Midlands)

Offline banks

• My emails are not working sorry
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: How do I trace an Irish birth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 April 05 10:29 BST (UK) »
Keren,  When I tried to get a birth Cert, for my Grandma. I wrote a letter and sent this to . General Registers Office  8-11 Lombard Street East,  Dublin.

My Grandma was born at Cork.
They  were very helpful ,  an entry was found  for my Grandma's sister but not my Grandma.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Hazel.
Lancashire Holgate, Cornwall, Hawke< Seymour< Pascoe
Scotland, Banks.  Graham. Downie. Stevenson. Sutherland.

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Keren - if you're still researching- it's correct -you can apply to Dublin-I've done it a few times they are very helpful . You could ring or e-mail first if you wanted to. Registration started from 1864 (Church of Ireland marriages 1845).
 So if your ancestor's birth was before then (1844) I think you would have to try parish registers. If he was married in Ireland after 1864 you may be able to apply for the marriage cert.
Here's the link for the GRO Dublin- look under'Fees' + it gives a list of local registrars,The Kerry office(for Killarney)may advise you.
It might be difficult if you don't know the parish in Killarney.The office may know which  parish priest to write to.Try this link too for a list of parishes in Kerry( RomanCatholic)

The name could also be under O'Callaghan as the  O was sometimes omitted (some of mine did)

http://www.groireland.ie/
http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlker/churches.html

Good Luck

EM
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 22:18 BST (UK) »
 :-[ Cheers Neptune, sadly, the certificate I ordered from the GRO wasnt my Callaghan, so I am stuck with a John Patrick origin unknown!!! Family history says they came from Killarney, but that to date has all proven to be totally unfounded. Was hoping that I had some leads with an English birth.

All I know is that he married in Liverpool in 1865, shown as a sailor, his father was John Callaghan and he was a bookkeeper! which you think would be easy to find really With the amount of John Callaghan's to choose from, but no trace except for a promised line in the Chesterfield parish magazine or what ever it was on ancestry.com, but I couldn't find a trace of him inthere!.

But i will save the info, and one day, (its only taken 10 years to get this far) I will find the missing info and be soooo happy.

Have decided that My Callaghan/Scotland family are just too elusive and must have dodged the enumerators as much as poss until they married and became legal!!! ;D
Callaghan (Ireland,liverpool and st Helens 1840 to 1881.)  Scotland (liverpool pre 1860) Kiernan, Ritchie (Ireland, salford), Clarke ,Barton (salford greengates and Harpurhey/blackley up to 1930) griffiths, Robson, (Barton on Irwell, Irlam and West Midlands)