Author Topic: 1911 Census.  (Read 11614 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Census.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 09 August 10 15:03 BST (UK) »
The 1911 census is legally a public document and I can't see how non-subscribers can be bound by FindMyPast's conditions.  I don't believe FindMyPast's T&Cs would stand up in court if challenged anyway, imo it's an unfair contract.  Pity no one's had the guts to take them on.

Also their contract with TNA only gave them 6 months exclusivity, which expired some time ago now.

But I'm not going to argue about it any more.  ;)
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 09 August 10 15:21 BST (UK) »
nuthin to argue about - the thread is about 1911 searches on RC.

You brought up TNA.

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 August 10 17:19 BST (UK) »
The T & C seem a bit harsh if one is only asking for tips on how to search, but I suppose that is how they make their money - especially from folk using vouchers - the more mistakes one makes in the search the more one has to spend.  I wonder how much loss of income the free access during the World Cup cost them :o

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 August 10 17:37 BST (UK) »
hints & tips are fine (see the thread on the site) - it's if you ask for a search of a 3rd party who has agreed to the T's & C's, or if a 3rd party with a sub offers.

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 09 August 10 17:46 BST (UK) »
The 1911 census is legally a public document and I can't see how non-subscribers can be bound by FindMyPast's conditions.  I don't believe FindMyPast's T&Cs would stand up in court if challenged anyway, imo it's an unfair contract.  Pity no one's had the guts to take them on.

Also their contract with TNA only gave them 6 months exclusivity, which expired some time ago now.

But I'm not going to argue about it any more.  ;)

I found this comment interesting..but like said am not going to argue with it, it is as it is and seem FindMyPast will have the monopoly for a time to come, unless you can access the census direct..or pay for a sub.  But that still does not help others as we have always done on RC.

Just my thoughts, know they need to recoupe the expense from putting it out early, but..still unfair to the average jo bloggs who wants to know and can't access or afford.

This is only what I have gleened from info and others thoughts am defo not ofay with it all just an average FH peep.

Cas

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 August 10 18:06 BST (UK) »
It's like buying a car, and being forced to agree never to give anyone else a lift.   ::)
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 09 August 10 18:23 BST (UK) »
Yep it's pretty FH pants really.

Would love to post ref to the 1911 on my GG gran to see if others could decifer were the heck she was born in Cornwall..but it's all hush hush and a no go.

Many are afraid to post anything about the 1911..but as said it is a public doc..but money talks or peeps need to walk, if no purse or in the wrong locality for most of the uk..

Enough said..we all have our opinions on the FindMyPast monopoly :P

Cas

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 09 August 10 18:36 BST (UK) »
You can certainly post a small section of the image - the 'rules' dont preclude that.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355485.0.html

note it says FULL images.

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 09 August 10 18:48 BST (UK) »
I have been a member of RC for 5 yrs, respect this forum, the creator and the copyright rules.

Not seen any that have posted from 1911 to date.

Am not going to chance breaching RC rules..have had 2 RC friends, via pm/email  that have subs to 1911 and they can't make out.  (maybe that is a breach of rules dunno  :P)

Not saying if I put it out on the Cornwall board they would have maybe more idea.  But at this date, will leave it to the pants money grabbing monoploy via FindMyPast until I feel comfortable to do so..

Via RC 'rules'

You may NOT

post full images;
post screen-shots of 1911 site which include the transcription or search results;
copy and paste transcriptions;

Thank you Mort for your suggestion to the 'rules'  but have you seen another do this ~ I have not.

So will leave it for a time..she will keep.

Thanks anyway

Cas  ;)

Lewis - Breckonshire