Author Topic: John Burley  (Read 4406 times)

Offline karro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Burley
« on: Friday 06 August 10 20:30 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out what happened to John Burley.  He was born In Birmingham England in 1876.  When he was a boy he came to Canada (about 1889) with his parent Benjamin & Ellen Burley.  He lived with his family in Toronto until about 1900 (he is listed in the Toronto Directory).  I can find no record of him after that time.  He may have simply moved away but i can't find anything.  I can't find him on the 1901 or 1911 census. 
His brother, my grandfather, never mentioned him to his children.
Any ideas, information or suggestions would be helpful
Thanks Karro

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: John Burley
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 August 10 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Karro, welcome to rootschat!

There is a marriage for John in Toronto, Ontario September 13, 1899 to Caroline Tolkien.  They are both 23 years of age.  John is listed as a machinist on the marriage entry.

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 August 10 23:22 BST (UK) »
In the 1911 census there is a John Burley with wife Carrie, both born 1876 living in Guelph, Ontario.  They are lodgers in a house.  John lists his year of immigration as 1886.  He is a bookkeeper at the prison farm in Guelph.

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 August 10 03:17 BST (UK) »
A bit more on the marriage Karen found:
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/tor99p2.htm
Shows parents as Ben Burley and Elizabeth H?
One witness was Emma Elizabeth Burley.

Welcome to RootsChat from me as well.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 August 10 03:38 BST (UK) »
 :-[

U.S. Naturalization Record, April 4, 1935, Los Angeles, CA

Carrie Burley, residing at Beverly Arms Apts, ?th and Western?, Los Angeles, occupation dressmaker.  She had fair complexion, brown eyes and gray hair, 5'3", 122 pounds.

Carrie was born in Ernestown, Canada on July 23, 1876 (image is a bit blurred, I believe that is the date).  She was married to John Burley, on 9? 13 1899 in Toronto.  John was born in Birmingham, England on March 16? 1878 and he entered the U.S. at Lewiston?, N.Y. on August 28, 1900.  John is listed as deceased.  Carrie did not have children (as of this date).

Carrie's last foreign residence was Toronto.  She entered the U.S. at Lewiston, N.Y. on board the Niagara Riverline Steamer.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 August 10 03:47 BST (UK) »
1920 Buffalo Ward 24, Erie County, New York
Carrie Burley, age 43, boarder, born Canada as were parents, widowed, immigrated 1900.  Cannot read her occupation.  (Helper in Invalids Home???)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 August 10 04:01 BST (UK) »
1938 South Orange County Directory
Burley, Carrie M Mrs r125 Pine, Garden Grove

1941, same directory
now living at 341 Pine

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 August 10 04:18 BST (UK) »
1930 Inglewood, Los Angeles County
"Cary M Barley" is living with her brother, Harold C Talkien and their mother, Mary L. and a boarder, James Tipscalt(?).

Cary age 53, wd, Harold age 43 single, Mary age 70? wd.  All born in Canada.  Harold was an insurance salesman, Cary was a seamstress.

"Talkien's" immigrated 1905; Cary in 1900.

1910 Lockport Ward 5, District 86, Niagara Co, NY
Harold Talkin, boarder, age 24, born Canada as were parents, immigrated 1908, Insurance Agent

There is more regarding Harold C Tolkien, if you are interested in him.

Offline karro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 August 10 15:50 BST (UK) »
Wow!!!! I can't believe all the information that was found.  Thanks to all.
 I was a bit concerned about the mother's name on the marriage registration.  John's mother was Ellen Skinner.  However the witness Emma Elizabeth Burley was the name of one of John's sister's and Ben Burley is his father's name.
I suppose Caroline used the name Carrie? 

I'm a bit confused about when they moved to the U.S.,  if the 1911 census shows a John & Carrie Burley in Guelph.  Where can I find this information???  or am I miss reading the information sent.???
I haven't been able to find a death notice for John Burley, perhaps I should be looking at the US records. 
Karro